1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton vs Hull City Saturday 29/04/2017 KO 3:00PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Apr 25, 2017.

1. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

We were truly awful and got a point, if Scouse hold Watford tomorrow, we will still be 9th which is unbelievable considering how bad we have been lately. Funny old game.

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

You clearly didn't see the game, or you'd be apologising and running for the hills....

We were magnificent. Peppered their goal with chances, but their keeper was like Superman and their defenders made 8 goal line clearances.

#losttheblueink

davecg69 and saintsfcfan like this.
  3. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Well at least we are safe now. Pretty much. Please. Oh god.

4. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

And was Charlie Austin in?

fatletiss and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  5. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

Unless there is a 25 goal swing in the last 3 games for Swansea and in our remaining games we are safe.

6. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Anyone remember that footage of Rickie pissed as a fart playing a blow up guitar whilst he was at Bristol Rovers?
    Rickie admitted to not being the best professional until he joined us. Charlie must be a similar age to Rickie when he arrived. If he wants to think about his long term career then he should definitely reduce his relationship with alcohol. For his own good as much as for Southampton.

fatletiss likes this.
  7. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Big thanks to FLT for the lift yesterday. Good to meet faces old and new at the pub, too. Pity about the result - though it gives me a chance to look at the Saints "fan" page on Facebook and have a good laugh. I think we should make a list of the premier league's worst fans - reckon we're at risk of approaching the levels of the Arsenal ones!
    Given that Swansea got a point off Manure up there, does anyone reckon we could do the biz over them? Or will the bedwetters have more to moan about?
    We march on ......

8. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

Not a chance - have you seen our record against teams above us- oh and against teams in the bottom three - in fact we've only won 11 games all season and scored 17 home league goals in 16 home league games. The way Man United play it will be 0-0 or 0-1.

9. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I am quite simply staggered by the accusations of racism and reading through the comments, it seems more a case of some posters wanting to prove their PC credentials. Perhaps if they had read my comments in the politics threads there would have not no misunderstanding. Having been a regular visitor to France for the best part of 30 years, I must admit that I hadn't realised that the French were indeed a separate race. Perhaps I should have paid more attention to Marine Le Pen's speeches. Who knows?

It is intriguing to consider the overall performance of French coaches in the English top flight. Wenger has, without doubt, revolutionised how the game is managed in this country as well as how things like diet are significant. He was a great coach and, in his day, probably the most influential. Other French coaches have not faired so well which is a bit odd when you consider the technical ability of French players who have played the game in this country. If you made a list of the best 100 players since the creation of the Premier League, I think that you would have a significant proportion of Frenchmen in that list. I feel that foreign coaches do, as a rule, offer more than their British equivalents as an aggregate yet the likes of Tigana. Perrin, etc have not pulled up trees. From recollection , Perrin went on to manage Lyon after the farrago at Portsmouth. However, there is a massive difference between the game in England and France with the teams making up the league beyond PSG, OL and OM probably being on a par to the Championship teams. Their second division is pretty poor. The one game I have seen in French Div 2 was probably equivalent to our Div 2 and was very poor. In their favour, they have to be applauded for bringing in Women coaches in to the male game even if the appointments were short term and something of a gimmick. We are a long way off this in the UK.

Their is a massive communication problem with Puel. His English is about as good as my French and a good deal of what he is trying to say is not well articulated. I have tried to listen to his interviews and they tend to offer generic comments. I wonder if he actually delivered the after match interviews in French he would be more widely understood. It worked for Pochettino. Why could Puel comment through a translator? Puel's interviews in English are generally largely meaningless if not baffling.

Last comment. I would be curious to see how L'Equippe is reporting Puel's tenure at Southampton. The Echo has been quite critical (the comments section generally being very anti ) and the national press underwhelmed. I read an interview when Puel was first appointed ( there was a larger piece the same day about the Portsmouth fan disgracefully beaten by Russian football fans ) but haven't been to France since last July.

10. saintlyhero

If it helps, 10 other teams have won 11 or less. So we're in the majority

11. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be surprised by these accusations, on other sites the racist element is obvious, fortunately it isn't prevalent on this one.

12. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Yes, a lot of people use "French" as an insult towards Puel, but I hope I can back Ian up and say there is surely nothing to it. Anyway, enough said on that. I'll keep reading your posts even if no one else does, but I am and will remain totally Puel in, for all kinds of reasons.

Btw, I posted this before but here's Puel on Téléfoot last September. First couple of minutes is an embarrassing career montage. Not someone whose achievements are not recognised.

13. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Querty

Thanks for posting that link. I am sure that I have seen this programme which is broadcast on Saturday morning in France. It is a bit difficult to follow but interesting to see that Claude appears equally reserved when speaking his natural language.

L'Equippe is a really good newspaper and something akin to the British broadsheets but maybe with an ability to capture topics outside of the mainstream rather like WSC in the UK. It is always fascinating to see how foreign countries view football in this country (or indeed topics like politics which is pretty eye-opening when I have picked up right wing newspapers like Le Figaro without appreciating it's politics) but L'Equippe tends to be very perceptive, even down to looking at the lower English leagues.

saintrichie123 likes this.
  14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

He's held in very high regard in France. That is the point you appear to have missed - perhaps deliberately?

Saints_Alive likes this.
  15. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

1 Puel is very much a protege of Wenger.
    2 You seem to be arguing that because other French Coaches have been crap, so must Puel be.
    3 He took one of those French teams to a CL semi-final.
    4 His interviews for the media have no bearing on his ability to coach. Just witness the childish nonsense that Mourinho comes out with and even Fergie's interviews never gave much away other that creating a siege mentality.

16. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

If we win, you post about how well individual players have played. If we lose, you attack Puel. You did once comment about his management after a win but only after someone had called you out on it. In light of that, I pretty much disregard the tripe you post as it's clearly prejudged. Then again, you also attacked me like a rabid dog once based on what you thought I typed rather than what I actually typed, so I don't have high hopes as a starting point. You do rather seem to have an opinion then fit the facts to suit.

Apologies for being led by the nose by FLT into posting this. I have no opinions of my own.

Vin

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Saint Helen, davecg69 and ChilcoSaint like this.
  17. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

I'll counter that, we're playing a team that has lost three league games all season.

18. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Time they lost then. :)

19. saintlyhero

Liverpool seem to lose all the time, I can't believe that

20. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I have to stop you there Ian I'm afraid. From my point of view I am not trying to point out my PC creds. That comment is a bit Ian McKenzie to Ross Barkley to me personally. As a half Italian, half Indian British born bloke, I don't need to try to be PC. As a child of the 70s I suffered direct racism towards me, and am well equipped to spot it now in a more subtle way. I am NOT saying you are, I am just saying that out of most of the people on here, I may pick up on it, and yes I may be a little sensitive to it because I have to live with the obvious and the subtle racism every day.

About 7 years ago I did a little test and applied for 10 IT jobs with the same CV, but changing my (Indian) surname only (my first name is an English adaptation of an Italian name). Interestingly, 6 came back and said do I have two names as I have applied twice (so applause to them), 3 offered me an interview...on my 'english name'. I didn't go to any of them as they are clearly not the type of companies I want to work for. Racism may be all PC now, but trust me it still exists. Yes some people can be too sensitive to it (I am not one of them), but I do tend to spot it (again not accusing you - the spoken word is easier to actually get your thoughts across than the written word).

This brings me to the second 'Bold' section. That is similar as someone saying to me "I'm not racist, I have may Indian friends". Trust me. To an Indian person that comment is. I imagine it is the same to a French person. And I think you are wrong there.The French are a different culture (not race) to us (and I am British born and bred, regardless of my genes). Just as I don't consider myself fully Italian as I have never lived there or been brought up there. Same with Indian. However, I personally have a strong affiliation to Italy and India, all my blood relatives are from those too cultures, so I understand them. Living in Europe, I am more Italian orientated, but seeing as the only language I can speak is English, I am a Brit through and through.

Going back to my point. I am not saying that you are being outwardly racist. I personally think maybe the undertones are there - you may not be aware of it, and that is why I am posting this.

I'll stop now as others will call me the new Ian Thumwood with a post this long ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    davecg69, ChilcoSaint and Onionman like this.