1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v West Ham 29/12/2020 6pm Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by MorgansBitOnTheSchneid, Dec 26, 2020.

1. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Can just start to feel a very boring, pointless , dull, 12th place finish on the horizon.

2. Piri Weepu

Piri Weepu Well-Known Member

If passes between the centre backs and centre midfielders equalled goals, then we won that comfortably!

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  3. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

We will surely turn into Brazil.

4. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I think with Ings we win th....oh...

garysfc and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  5. Le Tissier's Laces

Hey, sure, we are having a stodgy few games, but we used to lose those. Now we draw. We’ll get that spark back. It’s a dip in form, not a bad team.

6. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That was horrific. It doesn't even deserve to be last on MOTD. I thought the Fulham game was boring, but that was on another level.

Partly West Ham's fault, for being so defensive. Partly our fault for once again proving that the biggest thing we lack in our squad is the ability to unlock the door. And the longer it goes on, the more opposition sides will play like it.

7. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

We were ****. Thankfully Hammers were only marginally better than us and our only solace is we did not manage to throw the game. Not looking forward to the next game if we continue to play like this. Still, a clean sheet and a point.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I’m going to leave this thread for the evening, as the negativity and entitled attitude of some of our fans decks me off. We are a good side that teams come and try to stop us playing. We don’t have a huge depth in superstar players to turn to.

That was a tough game. West Ham filled the spaces in midfield and made it difficult for us. We have moved up in our statUs as a team from where we’ve been for the previous three seasons and the fans moan and groan.

we weren’t great, but we were pretty good in patches during that game. Not our best game and a long way from being “****” or a “waste of time”

enjoy your evening.

9. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Worryingly dependent on long balls. Passing and energy non-existent tonight. MotM probably McCarthy.

10. Dom Celestial Imp

Dom Celestial Imp New Member

Southampton are 2/3rd of a good team but unfortunately with Bertrand not able to get pass the last man and cross a decent ball combined with Djenepo's awful display they will always struggle. Left side woeful, right side potent. Don't want to criticise the young Djenepo too much but that was one of the worst displays of a footballer I've watched in a long time. League One standard.

11. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

We'll look back on these last 2 games in May and say "****, if we'd have won one of them, we'd won the title by 3 points rather than 1"

12. Le Tissier's Laces

Yup. Fact of the matter is that these days, other than the top teams (and probably Leeds), people play defensively against us now and try and nick one, because we’re good.

13. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

We didn't play well.
    We didn't play badly.
    West Ham are a decent outfit with similar ambitions to ourselves.

Djenepo was anonymous and I don't think Ings is fully match fit yet - things will improve as Ings gets fit and Vestergaard/Redmond return.

Think a top half finish should be our realistic aim and we are well on course for that - please drop these over reactions.

14. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

I'm with you. It's just a blip. Even though we were 'bad' tonight, you can see we have got the basics down very well. We are lacking a spark right now, but all it takes is for Ings or Adams to hit a bit of form, and we take off again.

15. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Hmm. First point against WHU for Ralph so I'll take the positive. For me, 2 points dropped but after seeing Benrahma and Antonio come on, I was pleased we held on for a point. Ings clearly not fit and after the kick in the head, Che want right either. I think Ralph has set clean sheets as the priority while we get through the busy schedule and get players fitness back. Hopefully we will see the tempo pick up when we have the players fit to react.

Surrey_Saint likes this.
  16. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree with that.

We are clearly out of form, in previous seasons we would have lost that, at least we are keeping the points ticking over (glass half full), West Ham are not bad this season and a bogey team for us normally as well.

Things will kick back in, please start Armstrong next time out though.

At least its an easy three points up next...

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  17. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

What to you expect with goal machine Vestergard out

ChilcoSaint, Archers Road and mowgli like this.
  18. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

I also feel it is important to point out that during this "poor run of form" we are on, we have only lost 1 of our last 5, and that was against Man City (where we played bloody well!)

19. oldstocktonsaint

oldstocktonsaint Well-Known Member

I’ll have a pint of your best happy juice, please landlord.

20. Libby

Libby 9-0

Don't think it was as bad as made out. Of our 3 recent draws this was always going to be the toughest imo and the one we were least likely to win.

The lack of goals, and specifically chance creation is a worry though. Suspect that'll be better against Liverpool though, we still struggle hugely against defensive sides and i don't think that'll change with current personnell.