1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Swansea - Saturday 12/08/2017 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by jonny 'hasen' shuttle, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Speaking of Ryan - considering what the likes of Beefy (who I trust) told us, you know what, hats off to him for knuckling down and not causing another Virgil sized problem. Fair enough, he wanted (and perhaps wants) to leave, but he's got his head down and got on with the business of playing - and alongside Oriol was pretty much my man of the match yesterday.

I think he deserves some credit in the current climate.

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

3. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

We know Tadic isn't the world's deadliest finisher. I don't think that is going to change. Its not unreasonable to look at last season's results along with this one. Six games is a bigger sample than one.

But just as a supporter, I also like to turn the page and start fresh. More fun that way. All in how you choose to look at it and what your expectations are, I suppose.

4. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

A wise man once said that it was best to take the positives and draw a blue line under the past. Last season is history. Its in the rear view mirror. Say, this bus I'm on seems pretty comfy...!

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

A wise, happy man ....

6. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

The fact remains that last season is in the past. We started this one level with every other team in the league.

You can choose to dwell in the past, or you can choose to look to the future. It really is a matter of personal choice which perspective you prefer. I would suggest that if the past is painful, you learn what lessons you can, then move on.

Onionman likes this.
  7. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Expected goals (xG) for this weekend's Premier League games
    Result
    Home xG Away xG
    Arsenal 4-3 Leicester City 2.58 1.5
    Watford 3-3 Liverpool 2.32 2.53
    Chelsea 2-3 Burnley 1.53 0.64
    Crystal Palace 0-3 Huddersfield 1.06 0.49
    Everton 1-0 Stoke 0.59 0.35
    Southampton 0-0 Swansea 2.02 0.3
    West Brom 1-0 Bournemouth 1.28 0.47
    Brighton 0-2 Man City 0.3 1.84
    Newcastle 0-2 Tottenham 0.73 2.36
    Man Utd 4-0 West Ham 2.0 0.45

VocalMinority likes this.
  8. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

It's also the same team who played in pre season where we buried harder chances than we missed against Swansea.

I do wonder if the pressure of not scoring last season is still affecting them. I can't help but hope that if we score a couple of goals it will become easier to score more.

letissier86 and Archers Road like this.
  9. Channonfodder

Leaving aside the disagreements, isn't it brilliant to be talking about football again?:)

10. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I am not sure I am reading this correctly, but should we have won 2-0 if basic, scorable efforts went in? Only 3 teams made more clear cut chances...

11. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I just wish we were talking about how our thrashing of Swansea means we're going to win the league. I mean we're still going to win the league it's just harder to talk about it. ;)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...does-show-man-city-should-win-premier-league/

It takes into account the difficulty of every shot to decide how many times an average strike force would have scored.

latviandream likes this.
  12. Channonfodder

I know that a wise man advised that we shouldn't get too up when we win nor down when we lose, but I don't recall him suggesting we become delusional when we draw.....<laugh>

13. swans-m

swans-m Well-Known Member

Now that my anger at our performance has finally abated, I'm finally in a better frame of mind to comment.

Definitely 2 points dropped from you guys. Happy with a point, just extremely disappointed in the manner we went about it. No ambition to win the game at all, evidenced by Clement taking our striker off and bringing a CB on. It's no wonder most swans were booing him.
    The siggy situation isn't helping at all as our idiot chairmen are waiting for the sale to through until they buy new players, which is costing us massively on the pitch. The fact that Routledge is still starting games shows where we're at with squad depth! Great, now I'm angry again <laugh>

Once your lot remember how to score, you should be quite comfortably top 10 again this year. With the amount Everton have invested it's difficult to see you challenging 7th place just yet.

All the best for the season <ok>