1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Swansea - Saturday 12/08/2017 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by jonny 'hasen' shuttle, Jun 14, 2017.

1. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But that is just it. Everyone mentions the end of last season. I've not read every post, but I've not yet seen people mention the start of last season. That was a fresh start under a new manager too.

I don't know the stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if we actually had a greater number of 'decent' chances in the home game early on to Swansea last season (MOTD2 even asked which of three particular misses was worst as I recall, including the one where Redmond stepped inside faced up the keeper, and blasted it into the stands). Eventually, after we missed chances galore, Charlie managed to get one over the line. And that game was not a one-off for us in the first few weeks and months of the season.

We can't just assume that goals will come given time. I absolutely believe that we need to sign at least one more. If that does happen before 1 September, I will begrudgingly be satisfied. But I say begrudgingly, because I will still believe that it should have happened before the season started, not simply before the window ended. I have made this point so many times over the years.

2. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

I think I know what this is really about.

He missed out on a free ice cream.

3. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

If you bash a horse it makes ice-cream?

Onionman likes this.
  4. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Have to say I disagree. If you shoot 27 times, the average (IIRC) is to score three. However, sometimes it'll be zero, sometimes it'll be six. I'd agree if we weren't creating chances but we were. I don't disagree at all that the team could be improved (when couldn't it?). However, I find it bewildering that the focus of some posters seems to imply that creating 27 chances is a bad thing.

I would genuinely be deeply concerned if we'd had one shot in the game, scored and won. Some on here see it otherwise.

Anyway, off for a beer on the patio. Life's good.

Vin

5. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying soton, as fans we don't need the negatives pointing out, we all rue those missed chances and we can't do anything about it anyway. That is down to MP 2 to focus on.

9 hours of home football without a saints goal against some of the opposition we had is not acceptable. Yesterday was different though for all that has been mentioned. Let's see what happens after the west ham game.

6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Evidently not, no.

7. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

The first time that I have put a "Saints" fan on ignore, this one is like an itch that you can't scratch!

8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

It's called taking the piss.

The more you bite, the more people will do it <ok>

fatletiss likes this.
  9. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Just got back from Charlottesville this morning and watched the game.

Think there is some truth in most of what is being said. We looked a lot more positive in attack. We should have scored. But, we have the same team from last year and the finishing was quite poor last season as well. So I don't think you can so easily write this off as just a bad luck game.

I am a little annoyed we did not get the win. But overall, I'm okay with the way they played. For a team with a new manager, Saints looked surprisingly sharp.

10. Le Tissier's Laces

Err...how was Charlottesville?

Qwerty likes this.

11. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

There's a problem with this stat. Quality teams with good attacking units will, on average, make up more of the total shots taken in any one season. These teams generally have quality finishers who can find the net.

12. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Is this a euphemism? If so, I just left Emilysville :emoticon-0103-cool:

13. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

I cant stress how little i give a ****

14. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

I'd have traded in our 24 bad chances for a handful more good ones. Wilfully misinterpreting you, I know.

Just for fun I worked out yesterday that we should have scored 8 goals at home since our last actual goal (according to the Smart Stats People). Bad finishing or bad luck? You can decide for yourself I guess, but it's better than not creating chances even if the outcome is about the same.

Onionman likes this.
  15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Been hearing that Clattenburg said we should have been disappointed not to get 2 penalties yesterday. :( Don't know about the hand in front of the face scenario....that is automatic and from close in, but the Tadic one should have been a penalty or if the ref wasn't sure if it was inside the area should have been a free kick.

16. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

You need a hobby mate :)

But it does feel like one goal would start an avalanche at present, just hope it happens soon.

Qwerty likes this.
  17. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Doesn't the current home goal drought include two missed penalties?

18. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

And who better to be the victims than West Ham?

Vin

19. Le Tissier's Laces

Liverpool.

But we'll have to wait for that one, sadly!

20. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Quiet little town, very scenic this time of year though the leaves have not really started to change just yet. What could go wrong?

I went for a hike with some friends because they knew the march was going down and wanted to get out of town. We thought about going to the counter protest for a but, but quickly realized the counter protest would be counterproductive.

All these Antifa-types got riled up and went there to start ****. Of course the white supremacists were there to start **** as well. They were not there to march peacefully. So we were just kind of like screw this, let both these jack offs fight it out.

Of course things got out of hand and it is not so silly anymore. We weren't there during the events but of course things were still kind of messed up when we got back.