1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton V Liverpool - League Cup - 2nd December 2015 ko 19:45

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SAINTDON13, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

The angle was really bad. I suggest you watch the replay. It's why Caulker decided to let him shoot on his strong side. Caulker didn't get anywhere near tight enough though. The 2nd one was a great run and great speed from Sturridge, but also **** defending. He still should be saving that. He's a professional keeper. He's 6 foot 5 and trains to be a keeper practically every day of his life since he was young. He almost reacted and saved with his hand to both. He would have certainly saved both if he'd gone with his feet. He let that them in because of poor decision making and technique. Those were shots to save with his feet.

Look. You can say whatever you want. But the bloke trains to be a keeper every day. He probably earns more in a week than most people earn in a year. He has to be doing better. Letting in every shot on target is pathetic. Especially when I'd be disappointed if my mate let either of those first two in.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Lovelocum likes this.
  2. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Handbags again?<laugh> I think it is as well to remember that this was a cup-tie so our Inability to get even a second goal makes discussing whether the keeper should have done better with goals 3-6 rather academic. Steck has done ok in the league, bearing in mind he's not our first choice.

3. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

There were seven attempts on target, most of those that left early, missed Steks save near the end, it could have been seven goals.

4. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I felt that he (maybe) could have done better for a couple of them but not the second. Sturrridge was basically on top of him, he had no way of guessing where the ball was going and really no time to react. The fact that he even got close to it was pretty decent. To save it would have been as much luck as judgement.

tomw24 likes this.
  5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Can we let this thread slip down and die...then I can believe the match never happened.

Channonfodder and Libby like this.
  6. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Not my finest hour! Probably my fault it all happened!

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I really want your mate to play now.

8. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Got to be one of the best posts ever on this forum. Who's your mate?

9. fatletiss

Thank you. TinTin is back

davecg69 likes this.
  10. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

I don't expect him to make a save with his hands. He didn't have the time to react. That's where he went wrong. He has to try to save with his feet or body. If Sturridge blasts it he just hopes it hits him. But he didn't. Sturridge gave Stekelenburg a chance to make a save with his feet. Stekelenburg doesn't have time to get down with his hands. That was my point about him making a wrong decision to go with his hands over his feet. Let's move on now <laugh>

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

I think we should take Frans advice and maybe close this thread?

12. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Don't act like a WUM if you don't want to be called a prat. You were being one. Don't cry wolf when you started this off. I'm not replying to you again. You're being a WUM in multiple threads, yet crying about being called a prat.

13. fran-MLs little camera

14. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

And to put it into context, Liverpool battered Man City 4-1 about a week earlier in a competition deemed way more important to City. We only shipped a couple more on a really poor night with Caulker in defence.

15. fatletiss

I responded to your style of posting and that you infer a fact in every post you make in debate with anyone. I did it without calling you names too. I'd suggest that you try and be a little less aggressive in your posts. Tom's post wasn't necessarily nonsense.

16. fatletiss

Good decision Fran.

17. fran-MLs little camera

That . represents a woman pulling her hair out whilst banging her head on the wall and crying at the same time....just couldn't find the right smilie. Ask your wives/gf/bfs if they are putting on a little weight and you will get the idea. :)

18. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Very good amateur keepers that aren't athletic, but are big, tend to be masters at saving with their feet and shots close to the body. They don't have the athleticism to make big diving saves. Small professional keepers are the same. Very good at saving shots close to them. A small keeper like Jorge Campos (5 foot 6) would have saved the second one in particular with ease. These type of keepers (small, or those without much athleticism) do not want to concede anything close to them (and have mastered saving shots close to the body), because they really struggle if the ball is in the corner. If a keeper like Campos was born in England he would never have been a pro at all, but made 130 caps for Mexico and was a good keeper. My mate is above 6ft btw, that's just an example. Stekelenburg is 6'5, he shouldn't be going down with his hands to shots he can save much easier with his feet. My mate certainly isn't as good as Stekelenburg, of course not. But that doesn't mean he isn't very good at making saves with his feet and body. He's kept three consecutive clean sheets in 6 a side in front of a shaky defence, he's a good keeper.

Gazzaniga would have been a better example. Poor decision making and poor positionally. But Gazzaniga is really athletic, particularly for a tall keeper. He's certainly have kept a few out. That doesn't mean I'd play him over Stekelenburg in general.

19. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Please remember the rules of this site. You can disagree as vehemently as you like with each other but the name calling and insults have to stop.
    Not606; an oasis of reason in a mad internet world. (Other boards are available)

20. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I think I'm going to follow Fran's advice and close this thread because I have had enough of the name calling. Please can we all remember that we are all Saints fans and we all want the same thing essentially. We can all disagree with each other without insulting one another.

And please remember that the mods have sanctions like the thread ban available if things get out of hand.

Edit: just seen Channfodder has posted almost exactly the same thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.