1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Leicester City Friday night football 25.10.2019 8pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by RedandWhiteManofKent, Oct 20, 2019.

1. oldstocktonsaint

oldstocktonsaint Well-Known Member

Just read in the paper (Telegraph)that the board are sticking with Ralf, and it’s the players who are being culled. Poor recruitment in the past has been recognised and new director of football to be in place by next international break. New defenders also targeted. Might just more flannel but I agree we can’t keep changing the manager and absolve the players. Hardly a word about the match itself. Always look on the bright side of life, if you can find one.

2. RedtheTiger

RedtheTiger Member

Beginning to think that 0-9 (as opposed to 0-2 or 0-3) might be a good thing if it means the Board wakes up and takes action.

3. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

Sorry of I'm wrong, I've only seen a couple of games and MOTD highlights all season but reading on here, that seemed to be the consensus. So Vesty is the best of a bad bunch then? Interesting, might shove him in my dream team! Cheers.

4. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Stephens has been the best CB just by virtue of the defender whose played the least this season <laugh>

5. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

Or Hoedt! :emoticon-0102-bigsm

6. Saints Fan4Life

Can't bring myself to say that <laugh>

Romsey_Saint and lewebster like this.
  7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

The problem for a long time now is that our players are just not quick enough; and I’m talking about speed of thought and reaction, not speed over the ground.

The biggest difference imo between the PL and other leagues, is that in the PL you have such a small amount of time to make decisions. Very few of our players are up to that level imo, whereas Leicester are very much a high tempo team.

That doesn’t excuse losing 9-0 at home, but it’s been obvious for some time now that we simply do not have a squad capable of competing consistently at this level.

saint horatio, Kaito and Libby like this.
  8. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't have agreed with you on Bednarek a few weeks ago. But that is consecutive home games (Chelsea and Leicester) where he has been awful.

As for Vestergaard, I wish we had never signed him and I wish we didn't play him as much as well do. But I would still rate him as better than Stephens, and on a par with Yoshida.

We only have two CBs who have shown to me that they have a level of talent (albeit a talent not even on a par with Fonte, let alone Virgil or Toby -so hardly roaring praise). One of them we have loaned out, and the other is the aforementioned Bednarek who hasn't shown any of that talent recently.

9. Saints Fan4Life

The last time we looked anywhere near solid defensively we had Yoshida and Stephens at the back for 6 months - they've proved it. Dont remember looking that solid with Hoedt or Vestegaard at the back.

Yes, I'm aware neither of them have shined in the last year or so, just making a point that they have proved it the most out of the options at our club playing PL football in my opinion.

mowgli and Brinkworth Saint like this.
  10. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Just read this article.....I knew we nearly signed Maddison but never knew we nearly signed Maguire.

11. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

Especially in midfield which brings way too much pressure on the back line.

Archers Road likes this.
  12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Poor @AberdeenSaint. Combined, his teams are 13-0 down over the weekend. :eek:

13. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Yeah I nearly won the lottery and had an orgy with 4 virgins from Sweden, 3 from Finland and Wendy James. I don't think Wendy was a virgin, but I was prepared to overlook that.

14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I saw her at the Roundhouse in Camden Town the other week, supporting the Psychedelic Furs. She looked pretty good from a distance, and delivered a lively performance.

15. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

The issue I have with this (even if I agree with the main point) is if the players are taking the blame and being told publicly they are the problem and being replaced then that doesn’t seem particularly motivating to me. Even if we have loads of money pumped into spend in Jan/summer if this group of players completely give up and down tools then it may be too late by then anyway

mowgli and fatletiss like this.
  16. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

just for clarification... did you nearly win the lottery and nearly have that orgy, or did you nearly win the lottery and have that orgy?

If it’s the latter, you can tell me about that over a beer!! :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  17. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

I'll invite you to the next one, having it large on my cruise lining I brought with me lottery winnings .

Wendy says hi btw ...

18. fatletiss

She’s way too cool for “hi”

19. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

The statement by the board is interesting precisely because the problem is largely due to the fact that they have been unable to ditch players. I had expected a massive clear out in the summer and distinctly remember Adam Blackmore and Dave Merrington during one commentary citing 13 players who they believed would be moved out before August. The clear out should have happened in the closed season.

There was a comment in this thread about the forward line playing well. I would concur with this and don't think that the likes of Redmond and Ings should take any blame. I also think that Adams needs to be given a chance.to come good by the fans.

The critical analysis of who plays for the defence is a pointless argument. I cannot see the point in debating who is our best or worst defender when they are all so woeful. The call for youth to be put in to the first team hasn't worked with Valery this season. I thought he was sensational least season and a real prospect but he now needs to be dropped for a while and coached properly. I don't believe the youngsters have performed well under Jadhi and maybe this would be a risk too far if we put them into the first team. I am not sure what alternatives we have amongst the fringe players to replace what we have got at the moment. The only player I feel is unproven in defence is Danso and what little he has played is not suggestive that he is the solution. Not going for Cahill as a stop-gap solution is now looking a massive error in judgement.

I do, however, think it might well be worthwhile bringing in some of the fringe players like Boufal or Stuart Armstrong get more of a run. That might freshen things up. I would tend to want to see PEH and JWP dropped - I still like Romeu and it would be unreasonable to drop him at the moment. I keep reading about how good Slattery is but at 20 he should have been making in roads by now if he has any sort of future.

20. fatletiss

Ian, everyone including the club wanted a clear out in the summer, however with no takers, we were stuck with those players.