1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Leicester City Friday night football 25.10.2019 8pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by RedandWhiteManofKent, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I can't believe that this is basically the same team that performed well on many occasions after Ralph arrived. There are just too many of them with no pride or fight in them. JWP and Pierre are nowhere up to standard this season although the central defence has been an issue for 3 years now. It looks very much like a morale issue to me and as much as I like him the buck has to stop with Ralph because he has to motivate them to perform but having said that, the players should hang their heads in shame at such a gutless display.

Looks like i'll be losing that charidee bet with OSB....:(

We beat the Skates and then this one match has undone any goodwill in one foul swoop.

2. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Apart from Hoedt and Lemina it was also pretty much the team Hughes played too.

Ralph came in and shook the team up playing Ramsay, Obafemi, Johnson, Sims, slattery on the bench.

It had a degree of success but the youngsters don't seem to get a sniff this year. They may not be the answer but his methods have changed..

Freaky Friday is an all time low for the fans, players,the city and our history.

I don't expect us to rock up at Manchester Tuesday or Saturday and win but some pride, commitment, energy, skill, passion and desire will be a start.

COYR

3. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Mid-season new manager bounce. Players fighting to become regulars in the team under a new regime (eg Bednarek, Romeu, Valery and Yoshida barely kicked a ball under Hughes). That's all long since gone. Players now reverting back to their awful to poor to average type.

To a much lesser extent, we saw the same when Hughes came in for MP. Tadic being the the most obvious example of someone then upping their game.

I compared us to Sunderland last night (as I have done for a few years now). Mid-season new manager bounce was basically what kept them up every season. The season which finally got them was the one time where they changed their manager at the start (due to Sam taking the England job), rather than mid way through.

But also, as I said to you the other day, we still had some awful result last season under Ralph too. It was hardly a worldie 6 months.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  4. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Bertrand has been slagging the club off for some time now. When he didn't get the move he wanted, he started telling younger players not to stay as it was a crap club. I think he was captain at the time too.

5. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

6. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

For me if the problem was Ryan.....why did we sell Matt instead of Ryan?

7. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

We have conceded 16 goals in our last 3 home matches. Whilst nobody expected 9 nil it is hardly a surprise we conceded goals. 3 vs Bournemouth 4 vs chelsea and now this. Defensively we are utterly useless.

I hate the 3 at the back crap at home. It invites teams onto us until we cave in which takes about 10 minutes.
    Play 4 at the back load up midfield and get some control of the match - accept we will concede but have some fire power to do something about it at the other end

I see boufal doesnt get a look in again whilst the likes of jwp churn out a load of ****e week in week out and never get dropped. It all beggers belief.

8. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

He's been a rotten apple since Ronald left and I never liked the classless way that he slagged off Pellegrino after he was sacked.

9. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Why have we done most of what we've done, in the transfer department.

Velcro Roy and Saintharry13 like this.
  10. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

I'm not intending to defend three at the back (excuse the pun). But those four Chelsea goals which you mention (which could have been more) were with us playing a back four.

11. It's Only A Game

I don't know but as we were looking to offload people maybe a suitable offer came in for Matt.

All I know is Bertrand was criticising the club to the young players.

12. Saintharry13

Saintharry13 Well-Known Member

With regards the playing squad, I think half of the problem is that we have such a fixed mindset as to what we want... by the time we get the players we’ve been watching for years, the game has moved on and passed us by.

We’ve got Aston Villa playing a breed of hell for leather football that we’d have killed for yesterday....

Lightweight players that don’t seem to have the ability/desire to improve and that aren’t sought after by other clubs.

Although it was painful to watch having all of our players pimped to Liverpool and an FA that willingly turned a blind eye to it all, it showed we were doing something right in recruitment.

We literally can’t give away our players that we don’t want....

13. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Yes, the farming out of promising youngsters and the absence from the first team of others is worrying. it happened under previous managers too. Worse - two amongst those most guilty of 'giving up' last night included academy starlets Valery and Ward-Prowse.

What really confused me after the game was Ralph saying that he takes 100% of the responsibility for the result. To me that is utter bollocks - you can't let any of the players off for that inept display. Why did he say that? Part of me says all 11 should be dropped for the cup game, though that might be a bit hard on Romeu, Ings and Redders.

14. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

Whilst I cannot defend the defenceless, should we not be more concerned with the total absence of any sort of mid-field quality? Watching that game last night being mostly played (again!) within 35 yards of our own goal line, it does not surprise me that whatever the line up 3/4/5 etc no defence can keep any decent attack at bay for 90 mins. We simply cannot get hold of the ball in the middle of the park and even if we do, 2 passes or less it’s back with the opposition bearing down on the last line. It’s been happening for months, last season and this. So far in some games we’ve had some luck and maybe sneaked a close win or draw. Even against Pompey, during that first 20 mins, had we performed like that v. PL team, we’d have been behind by one or two goals. Yes we won in style by the end but throughout that game I and those watching alongside saw the same fault lines in mid-field. The vote of confidence I’m afraid will not last another like performance like last night. The club should be paying back all purchased ticket money and compensate season ticket holders and challenge the entire playing squad to chip in with their earnings!

15. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Looking forward to my next email from the club. That should be interesting.

16. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

I reckon they'll bin Ralph after the city game. No one is going to want to come in with those pending fixtures. I'd imagine we'll then spend no more than 10 million on 2 championship defenders in January and the board will keep their fingers crossed they'll be 3 worse teams.

This year is the year that gamble fails, and if we're honest, nothing less than we deserve

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  17. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Dear Archers Road

We would like to invite you for an interview at St Mary’s Stadium to discuss a variety of positions that we are looking to fill. Please email over your curriculum vitae, including any coaching qualifications, your playing career, your best season in Football Manager and your boot size.

We March On

Saints

PS. If you have any spare cash, that would be good too

18. It's Only A Game

Tell us about your matchday experience and how could we make it better for you? Is that the one you mean?

19. Saint Elsewhere

Saint Elsewhere Well-Known Member

It'll be something like 'Tough weather conditions made for a difficult night at St Mary's...' followed by a picture of a player and a quote along the lines of 'we need to stick together...'

Libby, manxsaint, ChilcoSaint and 5 others like this.
  20. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

We are just a non-team, zero ability or excitement. Just a bunch of cloggers, so slow and ponderous..

One massive mistake was also letting Harrison Reed go, at least he would have added bite in midfield yest. JWP is a non-player this season.