1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Leicester City Friday night football 25.10.2019 8pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by RedandWhiteManofKent, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

We want our Pardew back <laugh>

Been a mental decade.

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

On your edit:

1. I can’t name one person on here who defended the board this summer.
    2. It isn’t just about the players on the pitch. See the numerous “bad” teams that survive. It is always a combination of things but that can lead to success or failure.

I agree our team isn’t good right now, but if we survive it won’t be a miracle it will because we’ve got some things right between now and May.

3. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

" Become "

I always was anyway!<laugh>

4. fatletiss

This is where I think we need to be rational in our thoughts. I agree some players are currently offering nothing, doesn’t mean that they’re not good players or capable of better. Some aren’t, but some are.

5. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

It doesn’t matter how we as fans see it. Yesterday’s game was a disaster. I see Ralph is prepared to take the responsibility for yesterday’s debacle. Fair play to him.......not sure he has the wherewithal to do much about it though.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  6. Saint Sosa

Saint Sosa Well-Known Member

I see you typically open by calling someone out as being shirty for daring to disagree with you. Good stuff.

Merely existing and playing badly in the PL consistently doesn’t qualify you as a PL quality player. The defence of Long is tiresome. The guy is maybe the worst player in the league with the ball at his feet - that’s not enough to warrant a hefty wage. He doesn’t make us a better team.

Ings hasn’t really ‘done it’ in the Prem, he had a decent season for Burnley then was out for a year, but then suffered the knee (?) injury. Either way he’s a 5 out of 10 striker. Look at his goals for us and honestly ask yourself if that’s as good as we can hope for in a striker?

My metric of a premier league player is one that other teams would take off us and play elsewhere regularly. I don’t see outside of Boufal, Cedric, Pierre and maybe Bertrand who would make it in a team in the top half, which is surely where we should be aiming to be? Yeah, I pointed out those players could make a top half team elsewhere, however, I don’t see players like Ings, Yoshida, Romeu starting for any other PL team. JWP and Redmond would no doubt get on the bench for other teams and start at the poorer teams and that’s where we are. Arguably the poorest.

It’s an embarrassing time to be a saints fan and stomach the dross that we get served up every week. I’m sorry if pointing that out offends you, I will be more sensitive in future.

LincolnSaint and SaintinNZ like this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Pierre has been awful this season.

8. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

I believe that’s what I said without naming names. A couple of good ones and the rest are doing nothing. The fact that they are capable of better makes it far far worse.

9. Saint Sosa

He was great last season though, I think Ralph is lost without Rohl to bounce off.

Ian Thumwood likes this.
  10. SaintinNZ

Midnight in the suburbs, I probably could...just quickly.

11. SaintinNZ

And maybe a director of football ... or anyone of any note at all around him.

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Be interesting to see if Matty is in soccer Saturday.

13. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

He was at SMS last night, never seen him looking so pissed off!

14. fatletiss

Listen saints Sousa, you said there is no reasoning with me before you even tried. It’s got nothing to do with disagreeing.

I’m not calling you out, I’m trying to have a discussion. You are clearly prejudiced towards me by making the opening statement above, so I won’t bother engaging in conversation with you.

I haven’t said I’m offended by what you’ve said, so why suggest I am. You are clearly and understandably angry and I’m not getting dragged into a ruck.

Shame, because there is a debate to have there.

15. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

He did ask for it jokingly <laugh>

ChilcoSaint and Libby like this.
  16. Saint Sosa

It’s sosa, thank you. I’m not angry, I just don’t like your persona on here. You always have to dig people out while acting all high and mighty. I don’t think I’m alone in that.

17. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

That was the most miserable and gutless performance I have ever seen from a Saints team in over 50 years. Everyone could see we had major problems at the Chelsea match but last night was utterly disgusting. There’s no point in repeating what others have said about the individual performances because anyone who endured 2 1/2 hours of sitting in that weather and watching a total capitulation knows exactly how bad it was.

There is something dreadfully wrong at Saints and it’s sucking the life out of the club and fans. You can almost smell it in the air. There’s no fight, no energy and no joy. It all looks to be too much effort for a lot of the players and from where I sat, it looks like some of the players have turned on Ralph. He really does look a lonely and thoroughly dejected figure.

He has definitely lost his sparkle and from the first press release this year he has looked tired and not his usual happy self. As the weeks have gone by he has looked even more flat and that can’t just be down to the pressure of the job. I really felt for him last night and I’m not one of those who will be calling for him to be sacked. The problems are deeper than that and until they are sorted out, we are well and truly in deep poo.

There are a lot of things I could say about Saints and where we are at right now but there are older and wiser heads more suited to doing that, and I’m new here.

Libby likes this.
  18. fatletiss

I thought you’d picked up on the but about “being a championship squad” when you said you agreed with Saint Sousa; that’s where my point began. Quite a few of our players have shown they can perform in the premier league, but they aren’t now. This to me suggest we have enough players who can play at this level (they clearly aren’t performing now, but that wasn’t the point) and thus I wouldn’t say we are a championship squad. Performing like one right now, yes.

Anyway, I’ll leave it.

19. fatletiss

At least you got to the truth of your post. It’s a shame you don’t post more often (usually only when things are bad) and then you might see the not so high and mighty me and not be prejudiced when you see it’s by name posting. I thank you for your assessment though and digging me out :emoticon-0105-wink:

I apologise for my fat fingers mis-spelling your name.

20. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm a deluded optimist (<laugh>) but I don't believe our squad is much worse/worse than at all 5 or 6 other sides. Newcastle, Norwich, Watford, Sheff United, Burnley or Brighton.

The issue for me is the management of this particular team is wrong as we are trying to play a style above what our squad is. I think Hassenhuttl would work well at a club with a better team, but we aren't. If getting relegated is as bleak as some have said on here in terms of how ****ed we'd be financially then it may be the case that we go for an Allardyce type to try to just keep us up for a couple of years, let the players we have signed for big money's contracts run down so we can move them on whilst still getting PL TV money then try and rebuild. To me that seems the most obvious choice (albeit it would be **** to watch) if we have the same ownership.