1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Chelsea Sunday 7th October 2018 14:15

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SAINTDON13, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Likewise.

2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was certainly impressed by Ely and Vestergaard early on, so I am by no means writing either player off. Particularly given that neither has played in England before. It's just that I don't think we have the quality/form/confidence in other areas of the team right now to 'carry' anyone, if there are better options out there. (Yet again, I blame the board for that.) Although I do use the word 'better' fairly loosely...

With Armstrong, I get the feeling that that he's a no.10 - or a CM who relies on a Romeu/Wanyama type next to him (ie someone who'll just sit in front of the back line, and cover for you). But unfortunately for him, I don't think we've yet played a formation that accommodates such a player. Certainly 4-4-2 doesn't. Shoe-horning him into LM away to Wolves, when he came on, just didn't work at all because he showed that his defensive game is pretty non-existence; he was at fault for both goals (and presumably Hughes saw that, given that Armstrong disappeared from the bench vs Chelsea). Granted though it is very early days with him, and I might yet be proved wrong about what his position is.

After Fraser and Davis, Austin is the player who I'd next be happiest with us offloading in January, if it means freeing up wages for new players.