1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Cardiff - Saturday 9th Feb 15:00 pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by OddRiverOakWizards, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

NZ - read my earlier comments where I specifically mentioned the injuries. I would repeat that I think Obafemi's absence has been underestimated.

We have achieved better results than under Hughes who would have assuredly taken us down. I just think some people need to look at things with a bit more balance. The two Derby games, the Burnley match, etc thrown away when we had the advantage. We got out thought by CP and Cardiff and, if you want to be hyper critical, were lucky with Long's goal at Leicester.

What he has done with players like JWP is amazing and I applaud him for bringing in the youngsters. I just think that the injuries and transfer failings have made his task very difficult. I concur he has little to work with. However, I think most Saints fans will be concerned at the defensive frailties and the inability to win at home. These two issues must have been a priority in choosing to rightly bin Hughes.

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

We have been inconsistent but that's mainly due to the reasons you have spoken about. Ralph is a relatively young manager and new to the league as well so is bound to make some mistakes along the way.

To say we haven't improved in acquiring points is a bit silly and the numbers speak for themselves, and as you rightly say the style has improved.

We'd be sat down with Fulham without him, as he's doing a very good job considering the bad hand he was/has been given.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  3. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Strewth.I’m really surprised to read some of you are saying that we have not picked up some decent results and points since Ralph’s arrival. Or at least that is how ‘I’m reading it. Ok we lost a game we shouldn’t have. It’s not the end of the world. We should have learned by now in this league one silly mistake can be costly. Surely there is no team that doesn’t know we are more vulnerable in the last 15/20 minutes. Just think how many teams have taken points from us during those minutes. Well it’s a thought anyway.....

Le Tissier’s Laces and mowgli like this.
  4. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

No doubt that we've picked up some good results under Hasenhuttl. The issue is that the fundamental flaws of the team are still there, which isn't a slight on him. At a time when a couple results could be invaluable, we still have a worrying tendency to make silly mistakes, and as the remaining fixtures dwindle, so too does the margin for error.

5. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It is strange that these silly mistakes occur when they are least expected against less talented teams, I thought the team had turned a corner defensively and with their mentality after the excellent clean sheet at Chelsea and holding out at Leicester for 50 minutes with 10 men. Or is it just coincidence that it happens more at SMS as well coming to the closing stages of a match?

Been thinking that the main difference between our relegation battles now and in the 90s is the home ground. The Dell became a fortress at around this time of the season and it gave the team an advantage, SMS feels like the opposite of that sometimes now.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Ralph has worked wonders in a short space of time. Even if he isn't the messiah this year (and just a naughty boy :) ), he will stay next year and take us back up.

You get gut feelings about some people. I feel his vision and the club's vision pretty much aligned and we should be ok. There are always twists and turns and there are more to come.

Far too early to have doubts about him IMO, and all the signs are there for us to do well and be ok.

All I can say some people must have depressing lives if they are trying to find fault in one of the best things to join the club un the last few years

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I know we observed it....I was replying to an earlier post by Jonny Shuttle that suggested we should have refused.

8. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I'll just say that Pierre hasn't been the same player since he had that knock on the head against Palace, hope he gets back to his best soon.

9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Ralph has improved us in some ways and raised the team's confidence, but we are still not quite good enough to carry out his ideas completely. You can't legislate for stupid mistakes....we will still have to rely on little bits of luck to stay up....good luck for us and bad luck for others. We had a small run of better results (regrettably against the wrong teams....need to beat the ones at the bottom) and now Cardiff and Burnley are getting points.....will come down to which of a small group of relegation candidates is the most consistent over the rest of the season. Who is the flash in the pan? We still have a decent chance.

10. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Long way to go yet, I do wonder how these forums would have reacted in the 90s

11. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I don't get people complaining about what is being debated on this board. I have just read the last 8 pages and there is a fairly balanced, reasonable debate going on.

Then I get to the end and people are moaning about the negativity of the comments. If you can't cope with critical comments, why not join a cheerleading troupe and learn to ra-ra? Shall we set up a post-match thread for those who have opinions and another one where everyone types: "By Jove, good show!"?

Everyone in the whole thread - even those reacting to that damned Cardiff winner - recognises the future is not written and that Saints have a decent enough chance of survival. I know they do because they will be back here next match, getiting just as passionate (and hopefully nowhere near as miserable). Why people feel the need for point scoring about who is the most upbeat fan, I have no idea. The internet is a dumb place. We should try to celebrate diverse opinions and engage...

12. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

not sure so many are trying to find fault, but things aren't perfect, and I don't see much wrong in saying it .

were third bottom for a reason and that isn't as we are winning lots.

13. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

You appear to have lost your irony

14. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I agree - It is a forum after all and we are here to disagree :) But I can't see IMO how much blame can be put on Ralph's door.

I was an advocate of MH, CP and even MP2 to some extent, but can see the difference with Ralph. Chalk & Cheese. Just my opinion, and I respect others too, even if it may not have come across like that :)

15. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

That's why I am surprised Hasenhuttl went for Long over Austin - there was never going to be any space to run into behind. I also think that Armstrong is a bigger miss than people think - we haven't really touched on that, yet he is about our best playmaker.

It's Only A Game and garysfc like this.
  16. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Fair enough Ian. He may not be a messiah but what you are saying doesn't really add up to faults of the manager though does it? I mean, we are starting games with players who have consistently made individual errors that lead to goals. Players that have gone 50 games without scoring. Under Ralph you can at least say that there have been fewer errors made and Long actually got a 'lucky' goal. We have been turned around under Ralph, expecting a mad rush up the table is unrealistic for this squad, doesnt make it Ralph's shortcomings to blame. Its been a long time since we've played football this well and were it not for the ref against Burnley and a ridicuously late slip at Cardiff you would be a happy chap sitting comfortably in mid table.

17. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Are people really blaming Ralph for the fact we have an awful squad. Really? He’s doing a great job with a pretty terrible bunch, introducing youth once again and hoping to hell we stay up to rebuild. This is absolutely not on him.

18. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

I’m not sure many people are.

I got one don’t, my irk sits squarely with the board, although it may be Ralph sanctioned the outgoings without any incoming. That for me is too risky. Even though I didnt find Gabbi as good as some on here did, he was a country mile our second best striker.

19. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

He only played once since then I believe. I’m sure he will.

20. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Probably a lot more calmly, because by the time your dial up Internet connection connected, you would have either calmed down or forgotten what you were upset about.
    Some people, (not aimed at you) especially on match day, would benefit from having a dial up connection.

nice teeth likes this.