1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Arsenal Tuesday 26/1/2021 8.15pm BT Sport 1

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by davecg69, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Would you like a blue line?

3. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Yeah, but, if football chairmen simply wanted to make money, then they wouldn't be investing in football clubs in the first place.

Archers Road and davecg69 like this.
  4. Itchen Masack

Itchen Masack Well-Known Member

Isn't that kind of a middle finger to Valery? When he took over from Cedric I was happy. Obv we've been spoiled with KWP, but to play a midfielder instead of a proper right back?

5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think Valery looks more comfortable further forward. When he came on against Liverpool and played ahead of KWP he looked decent. But I don't think he's good enough defensively to play RB.

6. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

There is not a team now in the PL who look at at us and think, '3 points for us then! ' That we could have won the match last night goes without saying, but we didn't, yet, Arsenal will be pleased to have taken 3 points off us eventually! We gave them a hard match with reduced resources.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  7. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Red card for Greslish tonight would be nice.

8. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

No I don’t think it is. The comment was in response to a question about what happens when Romeu comes back. He said there’s always room for a player of his quality - maybe as a 10 or as a wing back (either side)

9. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

EDIT

davecg69 likes this.
  10. Welwyn Saint

Welwyn Saint New Member

Why do we pass the ball backwards so much? It frequently goes from defence to midfield and back to defence again. Quite often back to McCarthy. Arsenal were much more direct in my opinion. I would have thought that with Danny and Chay up front we would want to get the ball to them as quickly as possible before the opposition defence has time to regroup !

11. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Doesn't ring true therefore gets - Fake ****e ignore.

Kaito likes this.
  12. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I know he’s been out for a long time, but I think Valery has reached the glass ceiling.
    Yes he looks okay running forward with the ball, but he doesn’t know what to do with it when he gets near the opponents area.
    Time after time he took the ball right up to his opponent, yesterday, didn’t have the pace/ability to take the ball past him and also hadn’t left himself an angle to get a cross in. No end product.
    I think Fats hit the nail on the head when he said that Valery doesn’t have it between the ears.
    Vokins, on the other side, didn’t run with the ball as much, but when he received the ball he kept his head up and knew when to release it. He will be more likely to get an assist than Valery, and could have had a couple last night and a couple against Shrewsbury. Like Targett before him, he has a really good left foot and an eye for a pass. We just need to know if he can defend to a consistent PL standard. Facing Saka was always going to be difficult and a more experienced left back might have spotted Saka’s run a moment sooner and got his body across between him and the ball, but even then McCarthy made a bigger error of judgement.

13. Piri Weepu

Piri Weepu Well-Known Member

I agree, Vokins looked tidy on the ball and offered us a dangerous outlet with his crossing. A lot of his passes inside were quick and incisive which is vital to the way we want to play. A shame that we can’t fuse his attacking instincts with the sturdy defence of Bertrand, we’d have one hell of a full back.

14. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

When we’re playing well we are doing this to probe for attacking opportunities
    When the opposition are limiting these it can look negative
    You cant see the whole picture on TV, so much better live
    Shrews game was awful, something up with camera position or whatever as it looked like Jack and Bedders were the only players on the pitch half the time
    Sheffield Utd game they had a high line so we played a lot of balls behind them
    Didn’t think Theo had a good game yesterday, he is usually there as an option for the defence and does well on half turn to start attacks

15. San Tejón

I thought the same about Theo and said during the game that nothing was working out for him. His touch wasn’t great and the one time when he could have gone outside Cedric, in the second half, and get to the byline he didn’t even try, which was not like the Theo in his previous games.

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  16. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Bertie will learn him and he will become that very thing :D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    fatletiss and ChilcoSaint like this.
  17. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I hadn’t realised, but Lawro had predicted us to win.

Therein lay the problem. All this chat for nothing.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    AshbySaint and davecg69 like this.
  18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

1. you can’t do that everytime.
    2. Most times we tried it last night, the ball was back on the edge of our box with an Arsenal player about 5 seconds later.

you have to do it when it’s right and that isn’t very often. When we did it right, it looked good.

19. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

I think he’s just knackered! Ideally with Stu & Redmond available he would have been rotated & maybe used as a sub/subbed. With the injuries he’s played virtually every min & I think that hasn’t helped. He’s no spring chicken.

20. San Tejón

Totally agree. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him benched on Saturday and Redmond start.