1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Something to be pleased about

Discussion in 'Reading' started by toshchamberlainsmate, Apr 25, 2013.

1. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

Hi Guys, Fulham fan here.

Just wanted to cheer you up by bringing your attention to the performance of your U 18s in the Academy Elite group.
    They are making a late run and have overtaken Southampton (who have had a severe drop in form) to take a place in the top 3 - which if they maintain form for another 3 games will get them at least to the Playoff Semis for the Title.

This bodes well for your future.

Good luck to your first team at the weekend - get a win to at least move up to 19th!

2. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Cheers mate, we need something to cheer us up at the moment. The under 18's have been doing very well from the few repoorts I've seen out here in the wilds of Suffolk.

As for the weekend, we'll all be rooting for a win over QPR, but the eventual outcome isn't going to make one bit of difference to either team.

The only consolation we have is that is won't have cost us anything like as much as it has QPR to get relegated !!!!!

3. toshchamberlainsmate

I know, I'm sad for you folks, but as I said on another thread, I think you made it up a season too early. However, it'll be easier for you to regroup and get back up then the other lot - who will have to completely overhaul their playing staff and club structure.

Reading might need to do a West Brom and yoyo for a few seasons - coz although Zingy has plenty cash - he seems to be sensibly frugal with it...in stark contrast to you know who :wink:

Good luck - nice board, nice club

4. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Thanks again for your kind words.

Being a yoyo club would suit us for a few years. Especially some of us older fans who remember the old days at ElmPark in the old third and fourth divisions. The biggest problem this season was lack of investment. By that, I don't mean we should have gone crackers like other teams have, but we desperately needed to strengthen the squad last summer and failed miserably. Having failed then, and seeing the results of that mistake, far more effort should have been made in January but, once again, we failed to do so. The premiership is an unforgiving place and you reap what you sow.

Anyway, we'll have to see what happens next season. Many of our fans see Adkins as the new messiah, I'm taking a more cautious approach and will judge him on results.

Nice to see Fulham have got themselves into a comfortable mid table position. Good luck for the future.

5. toshchamberlainsmate

Back to the original theme - your u 18s are doing brilliantly. They got second in the Elite group and go into the playoff semi against either Manchester Utd or Everton. Fulham won the Elite group on goal difference only - and our playoff will be against whoever wins the decider between winners of group 1 (sunderland) and group2 (undecided as yet, but maybe newcastle) .

Could well be a Fulham v Reading final

6. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

That could be something to end our season on a bit of a higher note. I just read the report and it made for good reading. Nine consecutive wins is pretty impressive.

As I write this I'm listening to the Fulham v Reading game and surpised to hear we're 1-0 up at half time. No worry for you Fulham fans, we can never keep it up for 90 minutes.

I'll keep an eye open for the under 18 progress and look forward to our game with you should we get there.

7. Tilehurstsouthbank

Nice ot see the first team put in a good performance too. Great day out. Really enjoyed myself! :D

8. Stellaman

Stellaman Member

Not forgetting our ladies teams,done well,we might mock women's football but my mates daughter players for the under eighteens and she is just has dedicated as the men.

9. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Probably best I say nothing about that.

10. Stellaman

Stellaman Member

I know:emoticon-0105-wink:

11. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Its just that 'Ladies Football' are not two words which go together for me. Just old fashioned I guess.

12. toshchamberlainsmate

Hi SR - sounds like the Final was an exciting game. Although 3-0 it sounds like Reading had a number of chances and hit the woodwork as well as going close. Good signs for the future of both our clubs.

Here is the Fulham official report http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/19/u18s-v-reading

It's our third consecutive final for the U18s (and second consecutive win)

13. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Congratulations to your lads tosh, its looks like it was a very good game. Thanks for the link its a good report. I tried to copy the one from the Reading site, but I'm hopeless at that sort of thing, but its on there if you want to read it, although not as in depth as yours.

As you say, it could bode well for both our clubs in the future with the talented youngsters we both have.

We'll be playing our last game in the premiership today (well, for the forseeable future, I hope we'll be back soon). Just hope we can go out with a bang and get a win at West Ham. For some reason, for fans who consider themselves to support a big club, they have this very unhealthy hatred of little Reading. Strangely we always seem to do pretty well against them, but I have a feeling they might get their own back today.

Good luck for the future tosh. Hopefully we'll be back at the cottage soon.

14. toshchamberlainsmate

Thanks for your good wishes SR. As you know I wish your club well. I also believe that you are well equipped with Adkins to get back in the next 2 years - slow, patient build - even if it's a couple of yoyos. You know it takes patience - look at the mess the other team in hoops have made - at least Reading are not a laughing stock like that. You will be back! Good Luck!