1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Social Distancing Attendance

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by devonFRATTONiser, May 28, 2020.

1. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There is a report on the BBC Cricket site stating that The Oval plans to reduce its capacity to around 6,000 (from the current 25,500) so that social distancing can be adhered to.

This got me thinking to football grounds.

Surely some kind of attendance is better than playing behind closed doors.

The attached file shows a section of a stand that would normally hold 1,000 fans. With social distancing 200 can be seated safely; a capacity of 20%

This would allow 4,000ish fans into Fratton Park - more if there were family groups of four or more.

4000 people at £20 a pop would bring £80,000 through the turnstiles - a fraction of a normal Saturday but better than £0.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Wooperts_duck likes this.
  2. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I see what you are saying dev, but around two thirds of Pompey's usual home attendance are season ticket holders who have already paid for their seats at matches. This could possibly lead to discontent amongst supporters !!

I would rather Pompey provide ifollow live coverage free to season ticket holders and charge non-ST holders say £15.00 per game, to make their money up.

It is fortunate for us that PFC are now owned by the Eisner family who are financially able to support the club at these difficult times, and keep us solvent. Under the Portsmouth Supporters Trust (PST) ownership still, it might have been another story.

It will all depend on how the EFL vote goes, as to how things progress.