1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Soccer

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Mono, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I just can't stomach this European 'Super' League.

I feel disgusted to my core and embarrassed to even be a fan of the game.

Total greed. Nothing to do with 'well he owns the club - he can do what he wants' - it's just wrong full stop, I mean period.

I just hope a few high profile players and managers come out and take a stand.

This is a sad day.

2. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Difficult to see how this can progress ,with the threat of players no longer being able to play for their countries and supporters seemingly up in arms with even Johnson making suitable noises has it got the legs to become a reality

daimungeezer and Mono like this.
  3. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Imagine being West Ham right now - still in with a shout of Champions League qualification only to find out they're not 'big' enough to be invited.

I really can't find words that come close to how angry I am with this. It's so brazen. People can call it a business all they want, but supporters make a life-long emotional commitment to their club. This is not ****ing Burger King or Apple !

4. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

The Premier League was the first stage of the Super League. It's a natural progression.

All this angst by pundits, politicians, etc., is just hot air and posturing.

The people who actually own the Clubs will decide what's what. That's their prerogative.

The players will all be swayed by the size of their pay packets.

The man in the street csn decide whether to embrace it, or not. That's their decision.

daimungeezer likes this.
  5. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

I find it all a little confusing TBH. Doesn't even sound feasible as it stands.

Now if those teams could form a super league, nothing to do with EUFA and European competition and be totally isolated, then great, go for it and leave the Prem. The Prem would actually be exciting then and a real competition. If the downside of that is less money trickling down the leagues then that would be a disaster though.

6. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I will never watch any part of that league should it happen, and I hope most fans of football would be the same.

If people had the balls to stand up to this it would never happen.

Problem is that intransigence is everywhere with the "oh well the owners can do what they want" attitude.

It really is time to stand up against this ****.

neveroffsidereff likes this.
  7. daimungeezer

I remember the Chelsea fans up in arms about Abramovich or something (I don't remember now) but I always found it amusing how they'd go to the games with their banners. The problem is, if they hadn't gone to the games and actually taken a stance then their season tickets would be snapped up by some plastic who only "supports" them because they're a big club and it's fashionable. Real fans have been getting priced out for years. So you'll hear all the moaning from the fans of the "big 6" but they'll actually do bugger all about it.

8. LIBERTARIAN

So, let me get this right, an individual is not able to do what they want with their possessions ? I can't sell my house, my car, my wife ( if she'll go quietly ), etc. ?

9. daimungeezer

Technically you're right but some things are not that straightforward. You keep pushing this button.

Mono likes this.
  10. LIBERTARIAN

You mean the involvement of football makes it less straightforward ? It's just a game. Selling/buying a house, buying/changing a car, etc., are much more important.

11. LIBERTARIAN

" Real fans have been getting priced out for years ".

Increased prices are neither new, nor exclusive, to football tickets/season tickets.
    It's what happens in the big world.
    No more so than in the world of property.

At risk of repeating myself, and being called a " tit ", " prick ", " bellend ", or " twat ", by the resident keyboard warriors, football is just a game, and pales into insignificance alongside REAL issues.

By way of clarity, daimungeezer, I do not regard you as being one of the keyboard warriors referred to. <cheers>

12. daimungeezer

Yes. There is an affinity and a passion with "your club" that transcends a mere financial transaction. Do you support your Country in sport? Do you have any passion for that? I'm guessing not as again that would merely be a financial transaction or a frivolity.

Are they? To you maybe but other people have other priorities. Personally, changing a car is less important to me than supporting my team. I have no emotional attachment to any car I've had, that's something purely functional, whereas supporting my team is something special. It brings some magic to living, as opposed to just existing. Perhaps you change your team more often than I do ;)

13. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Legally yes.
    Morally, if you have entire communities who have generations of lifelong emotional connection to your house or car or even your wife, then to totally ignore them, knowing how important these things are to their lives, then you would have to be a complete **** to basically tell them to **** off and mind their own business.

It's not illegal for you to cheat on your wife, but morally it makes you a lowlife.
    It gives grounds for divorce - and that's what football fans of these clubs should be doing now. Divorcing the ****ers.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  14. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

When you leave posts like this, it makes me think you're not being serious. Surely you can't be totally oblivious to the differences between a Football Club and pretty much any other business ?
    It reminds me of Dai when he'd spurt **** just to get a response.

15. LIBERTARIAN

A car can get you to your workplace, and become an essential, not merely an emotional, tool, providing financial security, putting food on the table, and a roof over your head.

Football, on the other hand....

16. LIBERTARIAN

Clearly, you have little grasp on reality. Football is JUST a game. Admittedly it has been hijacked by some very wealthy individuals whose interests don't necessarily align with those of the paying public.

But the Clubs are owned, and run, by businessmen/women.That makes them businesses. They can be bought and sold as a business venture, or on a whim, a kind of hobby, by those wealthy individuals. To pretend that people who pay to watch the teams perform are any more significant than those people who purchase a bag of chips outside their respective grounds simply ignores the reality of the situation. They are businesses, designed to turn a profit. Increasing admission charges is often used as a method of achieving that.
    Now, if you want to pretend otherwise, carry on, you are free to do so.

By investing in a dictionary, you could find some real words to replace ****.

17. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Clearly you have no understanding of what being a football fan is. It transcends all you state about businesses, because fans do not view their clubs that way.

Clearly you mean a thesaurus - as you would like me to use an alternative word to "****" but essentially still mean "****".

Go check up the word "thesaurus" in your Collins Gem and maybe you'll understand this one.

daimungeezer likes this.
  18. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Owners, sky, advertisers etc say **** the fans it's the money that matters and they know not enough fans will unite to dent thier profits. So Kay sera sera what ever will be will be the football's not ours to see unless we pay what they say. Kay sera sera what'll be will be !

upload_2021-4-19_18-53-39.png

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  19. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

20. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Well my take on it, if these six clubs want to go, let them go, I don’t give two tosses about them. But if they go they can’t have there cake and eat it, and still be a member of the PL. They are going for more money, as if the PL money is not enough for them, pure greed on all fronts.

This would be a perfect chance to reevaluate the game, and do a complete restructuring.

1) Replace the greedy bastards with six championship teams.
    2) Reduce the championship to 22 teams.
    3) Reduce League 1 to 22 teams.
    4) Reduce League 2 to 22 teams.

No relegation when the league is being restructured.

The gang of six not to play in the FA Cup & League Cup.

I’d even stop the players playing for their countries.

By a restructuring wages caps can be brought in, more money can go down the league pyramid. Let’s make the game more sustainable.

With the obscene amount of revenue money they are talking about, it would mean players on astronomical wages, and that would rule out the little guy winning the PL ah la Leicester.

So go on you greedy bastards and **** off.