1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So what's changed?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Aug 10, 2019.

1. brb

brb CR250

Well we brought in what was it 11 new players?

I say brought, rather than bought, because I certainly hope we didn't pay for the majority of that new shower of rubbish today!

I think the only one that can hold his head up with any pride was Jack Bonham, other than that, we were relying on the old guard as usual...Barry Fuller.

There was a point in the second half when we had no subs left, when I actually wanted to take our number 12 off. Not because he had done anything wrong, I just wanted to see if the team were capable of managing without him.

Other than Fuller we also had to rely on the ever active Hanlan, so I suppose not bad, three players out of eleven get some credit from me, problem is we are supposed to be a TEAM!

Apart from Bonham saving the penalty and keeping us in the game , he couldn't be blamed for Burton's first, although I need to see both their goals again - Then Hanlan's energy and Fuller playing from the back, nothing else was offered. Absolutely NOTHING.

No fight, no spirit, no energy, no inventiveness, no movement all bar Cisse's one goal.

Some will say it's only the first home game or only the second game of the season, but this team have had all preseason to prepare - Pegleg even warned after what he saw at Dover, was concerning, and was he right, I now see why he predicted the defeat, he wasn't being negative, he actually knew what was about to come.

Has far as I'm concerned, Evans can offer me no excuses or no apology for that shower today, it was RUBBISH...I never come on here and speak detriment of the team but that was absolutely dire, certainly fitting of the windswept pitch.

Steve Evans do us a favour, show them what I've wrote and tell them to either up their game or ship them out, I actually cannot remember the last time I watched something that bad!

They left to applause, The Rainham End were being respectful to a new team, but to throw it away for a second consecutive game just before half time is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

We might as well just have left Lovell here, at least he kept us up and had a clue, because with that showing I'll start looking forward to League Two next season shall I?

Marshall tries, oh he tries but then gets disheartened when it's not working for him, the Burton players were on him each time, bigger and stronger, his head dropped and I felt sorry for him, but you then have to look at the opposite side of the coin is he strong enough, does he have the strength and mobilty to hold his own in L1.

Cisse, great to see him get the goal but his movement was about as swift as watching the lad we dumped on Charlton, what was his name, I've even managed to erase him from memory? He couldn't be asked either!

Jakubiak, did he really get a goal last week, is his job to be a striker?

And two of the three substitutes said it all, Gillingham old boys List and Byrne.

Lots of pre-season talk, high hopes, maybe Evans is a genie, well he's going to need a bloody big bottle to pull any surprise out this bottle.....because we had no bottle whatsoever today.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Think Jones did well. Marshall at least tried and wanted the ball. Yes gave it away also but kept being pulled back. Corners not great but difficult in windy conditions as wind can change direction. Fuller still best full back on either side.
    Not a great start by Evans. Like you said tactics same as under Lovell. Signings need to improve quickly or we will struggle. Evans still wants to bring in 2 or 3 they need to be better than today's showing

brb likes this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

Yes you are right Marshall did try, but it got to the stage where he tried so many times, my brain switched to asking can he actually hack this level?

Jones was fine. Although I haven't seen their two goals again yet.

4. gioblues

Marshall played for Charlton last season so can live at this level.

brb likes this.
  5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Burton were stronger, fitter, and better organised than us, we had 1 goal scored from a defensive error from Burton and precious little else.
    2 goals conceded and our keeper voted man of the match says it all really.

brb likes this.
  6. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Absolute kack today. One of the worst home performances I've seen since the Pennock days. No commitment, no desire, no ability to work as a team, incredibly stupid tactics during the wind, all around a waste of money as a fan.

Before the match I raised my concerns about how we will be this season and whilst it's still only 2 games in, today has only grown my fears. It really was an abject display and out of the many signings that Evans has made, only the keeper can come out with any credit. Oh how we could have done with the creativity of an Oldaker or the tenacity of a Callum Reilly today.

Worrying times ahead.

7. brb

brb CR250

I think you can all tell I was pretty hacked off when I came back from the game yesterday, maybe in brightness of this morning, I can see I could have worded it more constructively.

But it was caught in the moment, and it was how I felt. I actually had to come off twitter yesterday because reading comments were making me worse, such as...

They need more time to gel as a team, let's judge after X amount of games etc - but this isn't what was sold to us pre-season! We were up and running and ready to go, the excitement built to sell tickets, like a SKY blockbuster only to be hit with a damp squid!

It's not the losing, it's the overall performance. If we stopped their wage packets for the week would they at least have tried, because the likes of Fuller was busting a gut for nothing.

It appears Alfie did better than i gave him credit for but at least i never knocked him. Maybe Burton were too big and strong for us and i owe Marshall an apology. But there was just no movement from most the team, even when huge spaces appeared.

However, at least the management team have recognised the poor display and thankfully i haven't seen it covered in excuses. After all, if Oxford, Lincoln and Fleetwood can do it, why can't we?

8. gioblues

The attendence was low they must have new something :emoticon-0138-think

brb likes this.
  9. brb

brb CR250

Where is everyone, was it something i said? <whistle>

10. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

OK - I'll play with you !!
    The answer to your thread ( on latest evidence ) = Nothing !
    I was very disappointed with all aspects of the game on Saturday. I went to Doncaster, and in the first half our football was quite beautiful. The 2nd half was different - and the subs we made didn't work out - allowing Donny to continue with the initiative -- following a rocket they probably received at half time - but, overall, I was reasonably happy.
    On Saturday ( when I wasn't buggering about in Aldi ), I cannot believe what I was seeing. It was a windy day ( even the road sweeper knew that ) - so - what did we do - bloody hoofball ( as per the last three years ) -- this was not the fault of the players -- but that of the management -- the tactic to just lump the ball should have been STOPPED -- but - no - it just carried on.
    There wasn't enough effort to pass and move, and nobody getting into spaces (( and - do we not actually want to spread the ball to the right side ?? - so many times there was nobody in that half of the pitch.))

I appreciate that we have yet to see the strongest 11, and that Evans may be looking to get in more players -- but it is his job to ensure that the players make a 100% effort (( that didn't happen on Saturday ) ) - and to employ the correct tactics -- and not persist with tactics that were not working --- I suppose that was what frustrated me most --- and with the lack of effort, the performance on Saturday was like being in a permanent Groundhog Day for the last 3 seasons.

.............. now I'm off to make some scrambled eggs on toast for my tea.

brb likes this.

11. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I'm afraid to say that I also went home on Saturday thinking it was a replay rather than a live match I was watching.
    Our lads still seem unable to pass the ball under pressure, if the opposition close us down we pass backward or hoof forward, often we combine both.

brb likes this.
  12. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Not a lot I can say at the moment, until I actually see what the latest incarnation of the team looks like, which HOPEFULLY will be next Saturday, though I'm not optimistic. There are reportedly developments on the Bury story (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49324224) but the deadline of 09.00 tomorrow is desperately close for much to be done to convince the FL not to postpone the game.

I can certainly understand your frustration about the hoofball tactic. As I understand it we haven't even got a big striker who could actually compete for the balls in any case. Bizarre tactic anyway, and even more so given the weather.

Maybe when SE gets closer to the pitch the players might be able to hear his instructions.

Hey ho, it's early days still...

brb likes this.
  13. brb

brb CR250

It wasn't until I saw the Man Utd v Chelsea game (I think it was) that I remembered the ball hasn't even got to leave the box anymore at goal kicks (have I got that right?) - So why the hell do we insist on launching it in what was well forecasted in advance winds of 47 mph... maybe Evans is used to lots of wind and never noticed any difference in the conditions at Priestfield (said tongue in cheek).

14. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Probably because Evans has a signed a load of excrement lol.

brb likes this.
  15. brb

brb CR250

I won £15 tonight - I kept the money in my pocket instead of watching us play Newport.

16. alwaysright

Will you be looking to do an accumulator when you save more money (( and time )), by not watching the next game ?

brb likes this.
  17. brb

brb CR250

I was intending to go to the game and I had already consciously decided only if it is no more than £10. I looked on the website after the Burton game (yeah I know what a mug I am)...and found it was £15, so I thought nope not happening, that money would be better saved towards a league game.

Anyway I mentioned the pricing elsewhere and someone kindly reminded of club finances, but this my own logic on it, last night I also said elsewhere the reason I didn't go and another person replied, that it was the exact reason they didn't go! So let me help my first respondent with some basic maths...

2 x £15 unsold = £0
    2 x £10 sold = £20

It will now take 4 x ticket sales at £15 to make up the loss, to be still left with £0.00 profit <whistle>

Add this equation mulitple times over, for every 2 seats empty in the ground.

I also would like to add I've not seen last nights attendance published yet....oh dear I seem to be developing a cough.

This cough is getting worse, cough, cough, splutter, Scally missed out on the opportunity of a full house and home tie against West Ham United.....oh dear, I need a doctor...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  18. alwaysright

brb - be careful, you're in danger of talking sense (( I do realise that it is only temporary )) -- I would say that it is Scally who needs to see a [[ financial ]] doctor - but unfortunately there is no cure for a lack of commonsense

ps - you're not the only one to have saved £15 last night (( 99% of Gillingham ! ))

brb likes this.
  19. alwaysright

A real worry is that the line-up was not far from what could be considered our strongest -- against a much 'weakened' League 2 side. From all accounts we deployed hoofball AGAIN ( and lo and behold it failed AGAIN. )
    So - that's our first two home games where we've played crap. As for the squad - I'm prepared to give them a chance (( although I fear that Marshall may become my favourite 'whipping boy.')) Evans needs to employ different tactics that have FAILED for the last 3 years. - otherwise we may not FAIL in our quest for relegation (( that is what we've been trying to achieve for the last 3 seasons, isn't it ? ))

20. brb

brb CR250

It's early days with Marshall, but one thing he did show during the Burton game is he tried. He then got frustrated. Most the frustration seemed centred around a couple of the big Burton lads that had been put on him, hence not being able to demonstrate any potential. He's a winger, he shouldn't be a target man unless you are a Gazza feeding a Tomlin. It's down to the team to work as a team and pull the big boys away from him, i want to see Marshall's pace/speed down the line and his ability to turn defenders, I don't want to see him taking on the big boys two on one, although at a supposed 6ft 1in and 32 years of age you think he would be able.

Over to the tacticians...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019