1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So, what now?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Kane's out, Sissoko is rumoured to be out and Son's away. Our three best players this season all missing for a spell. As **** scenarios go, this has gotta be up there.

So what do we do? Do we buy? If so who/ what position(s)? Or do we try and get by with what we've got, it may result in a change of formation to do so.

For me, not much has changed since the summer with regards to my views. I wanted a CM then and the same applies now (I'd actually want two in fact but that won't happen). Realistically I know a SMS/ de Jong/ Ndombele signing is out the picture. I've banged the drum once or twice (<whistle>) but I think now is the time to really push for Grealish, failing that, there's players like Berge, Lobotka plus one or two others that would likely fit in our budget.

The reason I don't see much point in going for a striker is because every club will now look at Spurs and lick their lips by knowing they can add a "Kane injury tax" on their valuation, plus no good striker will join knowing they'll only have two/ three months of guaranteed football. The only way I feel a good striker joins, is if Poch has long term plans to change the formation when others are back to something like:

GK
    RB, CB, CB, LB
    CM, CDM, CM
    RS, CF, LS

Quite similar to how PSG play with Neymar, Cavani and Mbappe. Three forwards, Son and Kane being two of those when fit and available, then <new striker> joining them. Dele and Eriksen would take the two CM spots along someone like Dier or Sissoko, who'd play a more defensive role and cover the midfield while the other two roam forward looking to score/ create.

So, they're my ideas/ suggestions... What's your thoughts on how we get through this period?

2. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Well if no one comes in as I suspect, I think Lucas will get a lot more game time and may play up top with Eriksen, Dele and Lamela as the three behind.

With Sonny gone this really does put us in a real mess because another injury or fatigue and we are then totally out of options.

To be honest, we've rode our luck for the past few seasons having a small squad and just about managed to muddle through during injury spells until fit players returned. But this time, it's more serious. I'm surprised we got away with it for so long.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Dembele goes to China and no DM or CM midfielder comes in, that's utter madness.

3. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

If we sign a striker it'll be a short term loan I can't see us splashing out loads of dosh when we already have players poch wants to offload.As for midfield I think Foyth could play there he's quite good and composed on the ball so that maybe one option or skippy might get more game time not ideal I know but making the best of what we have fit and available and keep the money for summer signings when we have offloaded some dead wood.

4. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Good post DH. I agree that we should have bought a CM and should try for the right one now (though I don't think we'll get anyone this window). Though I don't think we'll buy a striker to fill the 3rd attacking slot, I think we want someone more similar to Son, who can play through the middle if necessary but wants to start out wide with pace and directness.

We've definitely played a 4-3-3 more this season that we have in the past. I think we want a player similar to Son to come in to complete that lineup, hence the interest in Bowen from Hull who looks that type. Moura can play that system and may even be an option up top in the interim, though I think there could also be a lot of mileage in having Lamela and Moura down the flanks to bring Llorente into play with arial balls more often during the next month, assuming we won't promote a youth team striker to start and will have to adapt to get the best out of Llorente.

We've seen a lot of different systems this season out of necessity and natural evolution. 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, a midfield diamond and 3 at the back both with two up top have all featured. I think its good for our tactical flexibility and long term I think we'll move to a flexible 4-3-3 which can change to pretty much any of the above at any time, with wide players tucking in, or the DM dropping into the back 4 which has been a feature of our play since Dier became a prominent member of the squad.

And I agree with Rocky that Foyth could be a defensive midfield option for a week or two, I think it could be that or 3 at the back with Moura playing off Llorente, or the 4-3-3, while we wait for Kane to be fit again.

5. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

We had a defensive crisis with injuries to Jan, Foyth , Dof, Aurier and Sanchez. Now they are back, our problem is the front. So I agree the natural solution of playing 3 at the back and playing wide wing backs crossing the ball for Nando.
    Dier is back so can play the DM and then any 3 from Dele, Eriksen, Moura and Lamela.
    That is also leaving on the bench Winks, Skipp, Sterling or Parrott or Jansenn.
    I think a lot of pundits will be surprised how well we will do. They haven't given us credit for dealing with the amount of injuries thus far.
    Players will up their game to compensate and often they feel compelled to pass to Harry knowing what he can do.

Roo, Rocky blue army and Dier Hard like this.
  6. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Personally I don’t think we’ll sign anyone in this window. If, (and it’s a big if) we do, it won’t be a striker.
    I can see us switching to a 3-5-2 out of necessity with one of Foyth and Sanchez playing in every game to give us that type of player that adds size and puts in a tackle. We could potentially see both being used as a DM every other game.
    On paper, the team is still strong. We’ve got plenty of full backs, 2 decent goal keepers, and just about enough in attack. The problem we have is that there’s not gonna be a lot/any game changers on the bench. Especially with Lucas currently out, too. If Lamela has more injury problems, we’re going to be very short in that department as well.

Typical line up could be:

Lloris
    Sanchez Toby Jan
    Aurier Foyth Winks Davies
    Eriksen
    Dele Llorente

(Or something similar)

There’s obvious rotations in there such as Gazza for Lloris, Rose for Davies, Trippier & KWP for Aurier, Lamela for several attackers, and Skipp for a DM. Then there’s Lucas and Dier when those two are back from injury.

Seems ok despite Kane and Sissoko our injured, Son across the other side of the world, and others who have been plagued with injury all season, right?

However, what concerns me is that we’re not going to see particularly strong/convincing line ups from week to week due to the need to keep the players we do have fresh. I don’t see us being able to gain a momentum and any rhythm, as the changes will be so frequent and disruptive.

Poch really has got his work cut out. If the bloke pulls through this one with a decent set of results, then he’s more than magic.

7. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

4411 makes sense to me

Lloris; Not Trippier, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Davies; Lucas, Dier, Alli, Lamela; Eriksen; ...oh bugger

remembercolinlee likes this.
  8. After very careful consideration of all options available, I have concluded that........... ...

We are royally FECKED! <laugh>

Libby, KingHotspur, Roo and 3 others like this.
  9. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

1. You have good players still who can cope
    2. You have some squad depth
    3. But you don't have quite the depth you should

I think it's down to how fringe players step up. If you take the goals Kane and Son contribute out of any team it will have an effect, but many of those goals come in demolishing teams. Spurs are capable of grinding out 1-0 or 2-1 wins with the players available if required. It's obviously going to involve a change of style and tactics, but there are still enough good players there for you to get results.

10. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

It's got to the point where even Levy pulling a Saha & Nelsen 2.0 would have me jumping for joy.

The real question is who will be the current equivalents? We'd need a solid but fairly average cm and an ageing winger/striker that used to be quality. Drinkwater and Lennon? Sounds like a plan!

Dier Hard likes this.

11. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I generally agree with you but our issue since December has been a lack of midfield options in the busiest part of the season coupled with now having no striking option that we consider reliable or that doesn’t need us to change how we play. We can just about compensate for one of those areas being hit by injury or absences but both of them at the same time is going to cause us problems. Thankfully Dier should be back soon and I hear Sissoko might be back after this weekend too.

We’ve managed to dig in despite midfield injuries thus far - the Chelsea game being a good example - and grind out some results when we’ve had our forwards there. We should have managed to do the same against your mob at the weekend too but various factors meant we didn’t.

Hopefully we have a few more midfield options by the Chelsea game next week but I think Fulham will be tricky with no real idea how our forwards will set up and a likely starting midfield that will have both Skipp and Winks in it.

12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Jay Rodriguez has been linked...

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

What's the best and worst case for Sonny? If Korea go out early could he be back in 2 weeks?

14. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

I agree. I pointed out that in the last two games your midfield lacked any dominance.
    However, against most teams it won't be an issue.
    It's only against the better teams that the lack of midfield control is problematic.
    As for strikers, Llorente is proven in the PL but he feeds on crosses from wide areas.
    Moura is a handful for any team with his pace and movement.
    It's just going to involve a re-jigging of formation and tactics.
    But these players are too good for most teams.

The Huddlefro likes this.
  15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

It's results against the other top 6 teams that is deciding where the title goes so CM should be a glaring hole we should want to fill with true quality

Roo likes this.
  16. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Origi is a name mentioned and some loans but if the past is a guide to the future then we don't need to panic. Didn't we score 6 against Tranmere before Harry came on? What happened at Everton? When he was injured last season we scored well too with the others stepping up, I see no reason why that shouldn't happen again. Be calm gentlemen.

17. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Even id rather buy more Cheese than to be interested in someone who can't get a look in at Pool. He's not up to the required standards...rather keep what we got don't need any cheap imitations...this is Tottenham Hotspur not Bargain hunt with Del Boy.

Edit: my bad, I apologise, I forgot it is fackin Bargain Hunt with Del Boy...as you were, before I get told I should support someone else due to me not being onboard the Levy vision 100%

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  18. Lucas playing off Llorente looks to be a good option as we at least appear to have worked out Nandos strengths after 2 seasons. Relies on the wide service from WB's of course......

Diers return could be vital, because the loss of Sissoko is almost more damaging.

Getting in good replacements now are a) rare b) expensive and c) unlikely to bear fruit on the pitch in the next 2 or 3 months.
    So panic buying is probably not the way forward....

Rocky blue army likes this.
  19. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

You're right...that's why some mugs wanted signings in the summer...gives them time to bed and ready to play when the annual...not one off..January fixture pile up and injuries occur...like now.

Roo, BobbyD and Spur of the Moment like this.
  20. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Hey, I forget who but someone on here thought that we support Chelsea even though we mentioned a load of times what a LUCKY team Chelsea are, we took no notice so don't you ok Spurlock. Adhere to your views. I look at statistics and have noticed that we score well without Kane, better than with him. Moura's fit, Llorente can get a league start, keep the faith.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.