1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So what did you learn?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Oldsparkey, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Enjoyed my brief time posting on here guys - especially after the result.:emoticon-0105-wink:

Busy forum, some great posters and some blinkered ones as well - c'est la vie. Without wanting to seem too critical (or biased), I hope TC learnt some lessons on the night. Whatever your opinion of Warnock, he knows this division inside out and won the game because of it.

Despite the occasional flak, I try to post about the game we've just witnessed and also the bigger football picture as it's relevant to our respective clubs. I note some of you say you don't care about Cardiff and that's fair enough - living in an historical goldfish bowl like you lot do must take it's toll in the real world.

Whatever happens at the end of the season to us both, the same diehard supporters will probably trudge to the respective stadiums next year. Continuing top 6 positions will swell the attendances this season - nothing wrong with that - and by the time the return game comes around at ER in February, we should have a far clearer picture on where we'll each end up.

Maybe, just maybe we can renew the games next season - and maybe, just maybe it'll be in the Prem. I'd like to see that. The only danger I see in that is that if we do both get there, we'll be perceived as cannon fodder and you will assume the Billy Bigbollucks image again. I know which I'd prefer to be.

As long as we at Cardiff do okay I'm not bothered either way. Despite the forum exchanges on times, the best of luck to you. <ok>

ellandback and davy like this.
  2. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

3. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

That's OK Eric - back to your chat room.

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  4. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

We learnt you dont know how to use the quote system.
    Apart from that decent banter... See you towards the pointy end of the season. <ale>

davy and lifecheshirewhite like this.
  5. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

As a great poster......<cheers> It's been emotional. :grin:

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I doubt that usiing the quote system correctly will add a considerable number of points to your club in the table.

As far as something being learned point, I was thinking more from your club and management's point of view rather than the users on here. <ale><ale>

7. Irishshako

What are you trying to say Sparkey:grin: You deserved your 3 points, but over the course of the season you know well that cardiff will lose to teams they should beat and win against sides they should lose to. <ok>

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  8. Chippy / Glory

The one eyed fantasists here will have learned nothing ( they never do). I too learned nothing, the lesson your lot handed us has been coming for weeks and was obvious to anyone eith a clue. I suspect neither team will be troubling the top six come May.

9. Irishshako

Book marked<ok>

10. Chippy / Glory

You wont need to book mark it. I will be mentioning it as we assume the place in the league the team merit.

11. Irishshako

It's a figure of speech Glory...:)

12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

That applies to all sides in the Championship Irish. It's more a question of bettering teams around you whether you're at the top or bottom of the table.

To stay up you need to take maximum or 4 points off the other strugglers. To go up you need to do the same to those around you and not lose silly games to others.

So far we've beaten the teams in 2nd, 3rd and 4th places at the moment. Three points each from Wolves, Sheff Utd and you lot isn't a bad start. <ok>

13. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Not a bad post Sparkey, you got your, errrrm, I'll call'em "polite digs" in, you won, you get bragging rights.....:emoticon-0105-wink:

What everyone learnt post match was, TC got it wrong, as he did against Ipswich, as he did against The Wall. Would TC be as good as most thought he was during our great run, I believe so, but, I think he himself got caught up in all the excitement of our great run, and he become blind to what this league is really all about.

Will TC learn from our last 3 games, don't know, I believe he will, but the signs were there against Wall and Ipswich, and he didn't seem to take notice of'em, nor do I think he listened to his advisors, which makes me suspect he may have a stubborn streak from time to time, which will always have a negative impact on any team from any manager; there's exceptions to rule of course.

TC's saving grace I suppose is, he's new to English football and the hardest league in the UK, not to mention probably the hardest fans to get onside, and the easiest to get offside, and he's still learning. Having said that, he's a former top player and has managed overseas, so by rights, he should know what football's all about.

What we need TC to learn is,

1, Play the strongest team every game, rotating players just to rest'em is not part of the script when going for promotion.

2, Subbing players with the most appropriate substitutes, and at the right time, as well as recognising any weak links in team.

3, Don't leave your best players out, especially against the better teams.

4, Do his homework on opponents, and do listen to his advisors.

5, Don't break a working combination, ie, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

6, Just cos a player has an off day, doesn't mean he will the next game.

7, Be tactical against certain teams, not every team plays the same way.

8, if some players have bad habits, read them the riot act, drill it out of them.

9, The fans are the 12th man, and important when supporting the team, they don't just turn up to watch a game of football.

10, TC, you have a squad of players that can finish top, or top two, don't shackle'em, don't change their style of football, let'em loose to do what they do best.

That's my view, I'm sure others on here can come up with some other important things they've noticed.

Leeds will be waiting at ER Sparky, cheers mucka.....:emoticon-0148-yes:

Brendan Sheerin likes this.
  14. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

form is temporary, class is permanent ... it's hard to hoof your way out of this divsion now, let's see what February brings

Radz is God

dbc and lifecheshirewhite like this.
  15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

No probs Lover - and they weren't really intended to be "polite digs" to be honest though I can see what you mean. <laugh>

The "goldfish bowl" comment was meant was your club is generally expected to re-create your historical if not recent past and that in itself puts pressure on the club. The amount of Sky interest in your games is clear evidence of that.

The other thing you probably picked out was my comparison of us and you should we both go up. The "Billy Bigbollucks image" comment was intended to mean that existing Prem clubs would perceive you as that, whereas we would definitely be under the radar - I'd rather it be that way. <ok>

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

It's just as hard if not harder to play yourself out - ask the Wendies.

Anyway, who said we're going to hoof our way out other than supporters of teams we've just beaten?

17. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

So what did I learn. A defeat is the loss of three points, a win is worth three Thats all and spread over 46 matches, neither will have much of an impact. Of course, some like to drone on about results for weeks and weeks

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  18. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Looks like you've learnt nothing then - except perhaps that you're not as good as you think you are?

Anyway, it's only 3 days not weeks and weeks - although it may seem like it to you........<laugh>

19. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Theres nothing to learn. Play same team next week, totally different result, thats football. As for the weeks comment, thats for some of the others rabbiting on about a game a few weeks back. Only relevant game for any of us now is our next one. Thats the way it works

20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I accept that Eire.

No idea how your game on Sunday will pan out. You could be top on goal difference if you win it - or even out of the top 6 if you don't - such is the Championship.

EDIT - I'll have to qualify that - you could still be top but not out of the top 6. Ipswich play the Wurzels so you're safe on that one. :emoticon-0105-wink:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017