1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So Ranieri, eh? What do you think

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Fulhaman, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Good move, I feel.

2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

He might instill some belief that you can stay up into your squad, which seemed to have evaporated under Jakanovic

3. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

It was strange how Jokanovic hadn't signed contract..
    Think Raneri was on my list but not at the top.
    Needs to change SERI into a Kante.
    What now for Mitrovic need to swap him for a class of he wants to leave.
    Could tom Cairney become or Mahrez.
    Can he give Mawson the confidence to general the back 4.
    Didn't want Jokanovic out but may be he wouldn't compromise his philosophy.

2whitestripes likes this.
  4. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Jokanovic was Ranieri’s first signing for Chelsea. Strange how these things work sometimes.

5. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Kind of shocked at this Fulhamish, "expect the unexpected", move. Then again not really surprised. Things haven't been right for a number of weeks behind the scenes as much as on the pitch and with a run of 6 games without a point that's how it goes in football these days.

Sad it hasn't worked out for Jokanovic though. He deserves so many thanks after saving us from the brink of going out of the Championship, turning us into the 'Barcelona' of the league and giving us those two marvellous years. Culminating in the best day EVER for Fulham fans.

Ranieri's a sound choice though and note that he is the Manager of Fulham Football Club, not 'Coach'. I'll be interested to hear who his backroom staff will be. Also interested to hear what Mr and Mrs 2whites have to say.

#COYW

#DILLY DING DILLY DONG

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  6. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

I'm concerned.

I think you've got the raw materials for him to work with.

If he came to us (Not that he would have) he'd have a bigger challenge. Our best chance is to grind it out with Colin.

7. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Well, the Leicester Fans loved him and still do, singing his song last Friday.
    I do wonder if he was just the right man in the right place with the right squad when he had the miracle season. He obviously has that something which I dearly hope helps us. He did sort out the LCFC defence which was vital for their success, but also retained the goal scoring potential. The team was very bonded which was also due to the owner. I'll let Mrs 2WS / Foxy tell you more.
    Regarding SJ leaving, I'm pretty sad and that takes away from the new manager appointment at the moment. He did a fantastic job and I expected us to kick on from last season. The rest as well as SJ is now history, fingers crossed we will get back on track.
    Good luck SJ, I hope you bring joy to others in the future as you have from all at FFC.

8. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Cottager, I meant to say, you look just like Ranieri now, you chameleon you.
    COYW's

Cottager58 likes this.
  9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Sad to see Jokanovic go, but as others have said, I think it was inevitable. Ranieri is probably the best option - I certainly can't think of any realistic choices I'd have ahead of him. I've got tickets for the Southampton game for my youngest's birthday and, to be honest, really wasn't looking forward to it due to what would have ben a poisonous atmosphere. Now I can't wait!

10. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

What intrigues me is what backroom staff he will bring. Does he still have the people that did so well at Leicester and is there a place for Scott Parker. We'll find out soon I suppose.

I was still quite contented with Jokanovic but my deadline was after the Southampton game. We have the players to do very well and it will be interesting now to see if we kick on. We've been given a little hope and now need to be patient again while he gets to grips with the job.

11. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's what I said.....<laugh>

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  12. Cottager58

Went to the 'There's Only One F in Fulham' - 30 years old this year - book launch last night. Great turn out and some real characters around. My personal highlight was Simon Morgan signing my copy of 'On Song for Promotion'.

Real point of the post though is that, while plenty of chuckles etc were heard, beneath the surface there was a solemness about the news that morning of the Gaffer being sacked.

13. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed they let Slav go so early, I wonder if something happened internally to accelerate his departure. What happened at Liverpool was such a freak bit of sodding bad luck it could push someone over the mental edge. I still had faith in him to keep us up and hoped we would go on a good run before and over Christmas.

Ranieri is clearly a very decent man and a good manager too but to me there is something about this that screams relegation, particularly given how it would contrast to what happened at Leicester and then Khan's gibberish about it being a "risk free" appointment - that's not just delusional, it dangerous. Does he have no idea how football continues to shows its capacity to surprise and that he might as well have dared fate to prove him wrong.

Although Slav made some tactical decisions I didn't agree with I still thought he put out threatening teams Part of our problem has been to find a balance in midfield and protection for an already fragile defence. Of the little I've seen of Zambo, he doesn't look like a proper defensive midfielder to me, which is what I thought he was brought in to be, he looks more like he should be in competition with Cairney or Seri for the attacking mid position or sitting alongside them in games against weaker opposition. Super Kev is our only real defensive mid and as good as I think he is, he is just a bit old for this level to do it 90 mins every week. The lack of balance in the midfield might mean Stefan gets back in but we need to buy another midfielder to just protect the defence.

If Slav isn't responsible for the transfers then the person who did the summer business should be looked at as well.

14. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

It was a shame that SJ was sacked. I couldn't honestly see us getting many more points tbh. You can't let in so many goals and expect to stay up.
    I like Ranieri, even before his time at Leicester, and I think it's a good appointment. He's a good fit for Fulham.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

15. Cottager58

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! The Club have posted pictures of Ranieri's new scallywags but no bios.

please log in to view this image

The assistant manager Poalo Bonetti was with him at Leicester and has quite an Italian pedigree before that. The others ???

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  16. Captain Morgan

Pretty sure I've heard of that Scott Parker feller somewhere before.

Cottager58 likes this.
  17. Captain Morgan

Incidentally, at the Southampton game my youngest decided to assign names to the new coaching staff, in the absence of knowing who they really were. For me, Messrs Pascale, Cornaccia and Azalin will always be Victor Pepperoni, Colin Cheese, and Pajtim Kasami, respectively.

Bidley likes this.
  18. Cottager58

Captain Morgan likes this.