1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So Brent wants to plant 50 million in phase 2?

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by hp_bedoboy, Mar 16, 2013.

1. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Ok nice thought but maybe should have planted a few seeds on the pitch first? Gets better every day doesn't it...Lol.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What a fantastic complex to have a PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE TEAM as part of !!!

.......and that is the problem isn't it........James Brent has probably got the cart before the horse......how could he have got that part of it so so so so WRONG ?????

3. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Please!....a win today might put it into a little better perspective <whistle>

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

5 teams on 40 points.......strewth.

5. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

If only we can stay up....will be a nice little earner if Brent puts a chunk into the team....hopefully the win will carry on eh.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Don't hold your breath too long bedoboy, the same team often doesn't turn up for the next match is what I've learned over the season. We can but hope though and at least it's in our own hands.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I went into the Theatre Royal today to see the plans and have a chat to whomever was there about it. I commented to the bloke, can't remember his name now, that the drawing put out in the Herald earlier was a joke. If that was some grand announcement of something so vital then it was very poorly done. My 10 year old grandson could have drawn a better picture than that.

Anyway I have now seen the plans with some bones on it. For me it looks ok if I'm honest. Not startling but definately ok. There was a woman there who clearly was one of the "Friends of Central Park". I didn't know that at first but it soon became obvious because she was not going to see anything good about anything. For me I was surprised at what is being included in the Stand area. I won't list it all because I don't remember it all but there was food outlets (not fast food), cinema, conference facility and so on. I was also a bit surprised that so little extra ground would be taken up and the majority was confined to the land already in use. The lady was concerned that a lane was going to disappear which is just outside the car park area running from the life centre end to the old zoo ground. This lane is apparently over 100 years old which seemed to be her main concern. I commented that I have hardly ever seen anyone walk down it in years. She commented that it was over 100 years old as if that meant it should be left because it's just old. Beats me why anything should just remain, used or not due to age alone but each to their own. If everywhere did that then there would be no progress anywhere.

In summary it looks ok as said. I asked what the projected income for the club would be from it and if the club would get all of the income. No answer on the second one which was a bit worrying. As for the projected income well it seems the number crunchers hadn't crunched their numbers so no figures were available. This part leaves me a bit cold if I'm honest. A little sceptical still about Brent and how he sees Argyle. Is the intention to line his pockets from the proceeds or is this for the benefit of Argyle and ultimately the supporters. I guess we shall see on that one.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Thanks sensible for your views........there are some who are getting quite hysterical about it all and can only see the end of the world coming.....I don't know why I bother to read some of the other websites with there doom and gloom.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sensible........are you in any of the GoS photos taken at the Theatre Royal today ?

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Don't know yet plym because I have never looked at Gos. I have been reading some of the comments and it strikes me that those against it would be against anything Brent did unless it was to give his entire fortune to the cause and build them everything they have ever dreamt of. There is so little realism from some who may I add have chosen not to even attend anymore. Fine as a protest if that's the way you see it but just to slag off anything and everything proposed without any thought other than it's a conspiracy seems daft. I think you must judge everything on it's own merits rather than object for objecting sake.

The main worry seems to be the capacity of the ground. I spoke to a bloke today who said it was not as easy as you think to extend the capacity of the ground how it stands and is proposed. However, it wasn't impossible as some seem to be suggesting but just more difficult. Why we would want anymore than 16 to 18k capacity I fail to see for the forseeable future. I can see no evidence that we are going to fill what we have now anytime soon. Why then have 20 to 25k capacity with two thirds of the seats empty. My concern is what Argyle the football club is going to make out of this. If they make good money and get the money that is generated then for me that's good. It will create jobs both in building and after built which is also a good thing. I just think people need to get their feet back on the ground and stop thinking of years and years ahead when it might just be possible Argyle need more space.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Answer is no I'm not in any photos.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm surprised sensible that you say that you haven't looked at GoS before.

A good source of Argyle info.......not only for exiles but for those who don't do away games.

Commentary on goals,plus match reports and generally lots of pics of match day.

Years of Argyle history, interviews,records, facts and figures can be found there.......pictures of the redevelopement that took place of the present ground ten or so years back is of interest to those who didn't see it first hand,plus the new pitch being installed etc.

Exiles probably find it a more interesting source of knowing what is happening with Plymouth than those of you who force yourself to be inflicted by watching it live each week.

13. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Sensible I agree entirely about the negative comments. I live as close to central park as it possible to do-barn park entrance area and i know of the path she is talking about- it is exactly that, a strip of old tarmac that I am surprised hasn't been condemned before as it is generally dark and covered in dog mess due to the inconsiderate dog owners that allow their pets to use my front garden as a toilet (buts that is another rant). I cant see any negatives about the development regardless of who is funding it. I have made no secret about being a 'fan' of james brent and i suspect that without him no one else would have the vision to develop the site which is currently a complete joke. Similarly I doubt PAFC would exist without him. So it is really a choice of improvement and progression or staying as we are and let the area and probably the club just fade away. I hope he makes a shedful of money out of it because if he doesn't there is no incentive to invest. It is obviously me, but I really don't understand the argument or see where the logic is in criticizing JB. He is first and foremost a business man and you only have to talk to him to see his passion for the club and the desire to do well BUT he is a business man first and wont let it (PAFC) drain the other areas of his empire (although he does subsidize it at the moment). What's wrong with that??

BTW i also fully support the other changes to central park that were in the papers the other week- again all the naysayers seem to think it is their private property and bang on about the green lung of the city being destroyed, when all it will do it encourage more people to use the area, generate revenue and jobs, and improve the facilities for the good people of Plymouth. As always, the vocal minority threaten to disrupt what is obviously a good scheme- bring it on

14. lyndhurstgreen

Oh and yes whilst a bigger capacity might be something to aspire to, I don't see it being needed for at least another 10 years so why bother?-I cant remember many sellouts in the last 30 years!

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The problem Lyndhurst is that we have some webwarriors that feel that the world/Argyle owe them everything that they demand......I would think that no more than 1% of Argyle fans are active on PASOTI/ATD/not606 and some of them of course ( a couple of handfuls possibly) think that they speak for everyone.

Obviously the most important thing at present is our league status........so to be talking of ground development at the same time goes some way towards perking ourselves up for the future.

16. lyndhurstgreen

Agree plym, have just made a very rare visit to pasoti and had to leave quickly-far too much drivel and self opinionated claptrap about how they wont accept the new development design and/or never set foot in the shops/restaurant . The worst thing is if someone posts something in support of JB or the club they get slated. Whilst most of us on here have different opinions we at least are allowed to post them and have a reasonably mature debate (most of the time!).

Of course there is much wrong with where we are, and the running of the club over the last few years has been sadly mismanaged, but some of us still live in the real world and we know we have to live within our means or die- unless that is I win £80 mill tonight in which case the club can have half and we wont care! (but even then I would do a similar development to that planned.)
    You are right, it is all about league position-but it is good to see that the chairman believes there is a future for the city and the club.

17. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Future yes but only League One or possibly lower end of the Championship with what the great one plans for the capacity for the stadium and the ice rink will stop any future building on that side of the stadium ! I believe Argyle were the spratt to catch the mackeral !

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No doubt that was part of the plan Gat but nonetheless I still see little wrong with the proposals. You say ok for league one or lower Championship. When we first went up to the Championship we were not drawing bigger crowds than the capacity of the proposed ground. Very few matches would have more demand than capacity and we would have to do very very well to get even that filled. We do not have this 20k+ following even in promotion years. It would be nice to put up the numbers to that sort of figure but it is by no means essential. The only time we would get near to this figure is if we were knocking on the Premiership door and lets be honest that isn't going to be anytime soon is it. For now and for a good few years to come this is big enough.

19. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Seeing some of the proposed Brent ventures are on land leased by PAFC does that mean the rent we have to pay will go down, as Brent has stipulated many times, the ice rink, cinema etc will not subsidise Argyle, so we shouldn't subsidise them. Also as said on another site when Brent has built all that he wants to and sells PAFC do you honestly think that the people who will own the ice rink etc will be happy to grant permission for HP to be increased they will object till the cows come home. I believe that realistic plans for HP need to be put in place now or else this is as good as it gets. As for Brent I believe its a case of minimum investment for maximum profit !

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not disputing his motives Gat. I have been saying for sometime now that I think he is in this for the development of his portfolio rather than the football. I doubt there are many who think otherwise either. The only thing we have going for us is PCC. I think that they consider it right and proper to do what they can to support the club and keep it going. It is good for the City and good for votes and that is the same for both parties who may be in at the time.

If there comes a time when the big time comes knocking then I am still sure they will be able to do something. I doubt however that I will now see this in my lifetime. The trouble with future planning is you never know if those plans will ever be needed and to be fair we are getting the ground finished for nothing so I'm not sure we can be that choosy about what we get. If we were getting 10k now then maybe with a modicum of success we might need a bigger ground but we aren't getting near that and our more recent history says we won't. I would like it to be more but I can't come up with much of a current argument to justify it if I'm honest only a great big could be.