1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SL Speaks

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Jiffie, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Never worked in my opinion.
    But there were chunks in that interview that tells me he is going for proven this time.
    Also said they would have to bend as would the new manager/coach.

3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

One of the things that stood out for me and he stated it at least 3 times is he would be involed in the final interviews and it would be down to him, what is very worrying is we may be looking for another yes man.

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

I really do think he will go for a name this time I really do.That interview for me suggests it will happen.

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I hope you are right mate, what worries me is he says they must fit in to our culture, we 've spent a lot of money and time building it up.

6. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I didn’t like the last bit regarding Covid restrictions lifting to meet face to face. **** me we are going to be longer than 6 weeks on this one.

AshtonRed and Jiffie like this.
  7. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Thought it was quite an honest interview to be fair....still seems to have the club at heart.....just needs to make the right appointment..

8. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

This is my fear as well, we need the new man in early not only to stabilise us but to assess the squad and decide, who stays, who goes and what he needs to bring in for next season.

I still don't get the need for interviews, if the club does not have a clear view of who they want this time around, then that is another serious problem at our club, as I have said before go to their number one choice, tell him your red lines, ask for his, negotiate and either Bobs yer uncle or you move on but quickly.

It sort of smacks to me that given the type of contract they gave Holden and what SL said in his interview that they are waiting for somebody who is not yet ready to make a commitment yet and is still undecided whether it would be the correct move or whether something better might come up, the last time we did that was for Coppell, whom it was clear never ever wanted to be at AG.

9. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I thought the same, in general there didn’t seem to be any way urgency,

10. RedorDead

I’ve thought about it more this morning and believe that was the wrong phrase which did not fit into what else was said.
    He said there was 2 he wanted to speak to again because due to constraints could not be possible to take the job on at the time. So I think he knows who he wants. He also said that he is going to be a lot more involved this time. So without blaming even though he said it was all his fault indicates that someone else was wrong.
    It was no secret he wanted Gerrard who would not leave Rangers and definitely won’t now. But if that was the type of manager he wanted then perhaps he wanted a higher calibre manager than we got.

Slavisa Jokanovic is in Qatar until June and has worked with people like Ashton before doing the transfers etc. He got Watford and Fulham promoted. Would of costed a lot of money to get out of his contract last summer. But with it now only a few months left be a lot less.

Eddie Howe, wanted 6 months out of the game, now 8 months on and could now be tempted back. Howe is ****e at transfers Ibe and Solanke were 34m combined. Kelly who does have a potential but 17m? and rumour has it that was based on England u23 game and Chelsea and Liverpool were interested so he jumped in. However he does get players who cost less doing well.

Paul Cook was an asset to Wigan’s administration so may of been concluded a little too late.

Alex Neil had some daft compensation clause in his contract something like 3m so maybe now with 18 months left a lot cheaper.

Out of those 4 I would say Neil is the bottom of my choices, but it would still show intent on getting to the prem as I do rate him. Just would prefer one of the others listed.

Can’t for one minute believe RR **** sessions that Pearson will finally be arriving when he is free and could join this week.

Jiffie likes this.

11. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

That is fair comment, my problem would be, what if it was Slavisa Jokanovic and a better offer from a bigger club emerged at the end of the season?, there we are back to square one.

12. RedorDead

No I meant, the compensation is now feasible considering what we could lose. Bearing in mind in summer the team were still mid table stable so we thought.

Jiffie likes this.
  13. RedorDead

Also forgot Robbins who SL is said to be a fan off. He may be tempted now

14. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Ok, makes sense, I have to say he has emerged as my preferred option from the list, maybe a good time to go the foreign route?.

RedorDead likes this.
  15. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I watched the interview and for the first time I didn't see that usual smug grin on our owner. He said a lot of things that could be expected along with the fact that there were 12 names on our list to become our new manager and Ashton will whittle that list down before Steve gets involved in the selection which might become a personal favourites list. Steve mentioned that with the losses incurred by City during Dean's reign he finally had to make the change and considering Lee went to that bad statistic more than once I found that statement a little bit cynical. He used a couple of corporate mumbo jumbos in "culture" and "like minded" but did admit that the club hasn't got it quite right yet which is clearly obvious to all and sundry. The donkey work will be done by Mark Ashton prior to SL getting involved and in my books part of the failure must be down to MA but it doesn't sound like he will be departing anytime soon.

The past 4-5 years have been clouded by promises never kept followed by ineptitude on the pitch and allowing most of our top players to leave our stage only to appear on a higher stage where they all thrive. Is it possible that all those eminent departures were financially motivated or were the individuals tired of the lack of opportunity and forward thinking of the club? I would think that any member of our academy who makes the first team squad would dream of playing for their home town team in the Premiership and yet for the likes of Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan that dream never materialized.

For me the current problems go back several years before we hired LJ to do the bidding and after he came we did sort of O.K. but never truly reached the heights of a play-off contender, which included a couple of terrible runs in the lost column, and our football became unpredictable with squads and substitutions that were questioned by many supporters. Mediocrity became the order of the day until at last Lee was fired and the long wait for the new messiah began only to find out that Lee's assistant was getting the job which many thought was a huge mistake and time did indeed prove that fact.

The decision to employ a manager that has the ability to change the fortunes of a team that has basically been lost in the wilderness should have been made prior to the appointment of LJ but that did not happen. You would have thought that when Lee was fired would be the ideal opportunity to put things right, but no it was decided to use an even less prepared manager to show the way to success. Will the right thing happen this time out, well time alone will tell us about the commitment from Lansdown to following that dream of Premiership football which he clearly stated a couple of times during the interview.