1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sky sports reporting Fletcher bid

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by parkersafc, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Sunderland have formalised their interest in Wolves striker Steven Fletcher by tabling a bid for his services.

Press Association Sport understands the Black Cats have made a formal offer for the 25-year-old Scotland international after months of speculation over his future.

Fletcher, who has two years remaining on his contract at Molineux, is understood to be among manager Martin O'Neill's main targets this summer as he attempts to plug the gaps left by Asamoah Gyan and Nicklas Bendtner.

However, relegated Wolves reportedly value the player at around £10million and it remains to be seen whether or not Sunderland's bid comes close to persuading them to sell.

Former Hibernian frontman Fletcher joined the Black Country club from Burnley two summers ago and although he personally has performed well in the Barclays Premier League, has been relegated twice during his time in the English top flight.

O'Neill has, to date, made only one signing since the end of last season after completing a move for free agent Carlos Cuellar following the expiry of his deal at Aston Villa, while a procession of players have headed out of the Stadium of Light, many of them from the fringes of the senior squad, but including the likes of Gyan, Scotland keeper Craig Gordon and central defender Michael Turner.

2. talcnturnip

talcnturnip Well-Known Member

Not for me this one and will not set our hearts a fluttering or the iron on names flying out the door on the backs of the new shirts, would like to be proved wrong but, I had the same misgivings about Bendtner last season and that worked out well didn't it. He is good in the air for a reason he is crap everywhere else, come on lads we need a much better calibre of striker than someone who works hard and scores 10-12 goals a season. By the way as a measure of his worth who else are in for him?

3. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

I think he is far from crap but hope we still bring in someone to excite me

4. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

I don't think he is crap.
    I do think he's a water carrier though.

For the amount being talked about I would hope it would be spent on someone better!

5. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

His record is close to 1 in 3, now, how many strikers in the league can match that, and would be possible signings...

6. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Hear hear!

7. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

For some reason this signing just does not excite me. I agree his goal record is good and he is still quite young. I just don't know when you go from Bent, Gyan and Welbeck to Fetcher it just does not fill me full of excitement.

I expect him to do well for us but I still think we need another striker and someone of quality. I guess what we have to remember is getting players to come to the NE especially Sunderland is not easy.

8. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Wouldn't say it excites me either mate, as such, but it would be solid & sensible, and he would get comfortably more goals than anyone else in the squad.

He'd be a very good addition.

9. Apone

Apone Active Member

Wouldn't pay more than £4m for the lad. A decent player but not worth what's being quoted

10. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Functional rather than exciting

I think he will do well for us

11. giggitygiggity_blackcat

Looking back down the years, how excited were people when phillips and Quinn were signed. I understand the circumstances were different, but...

12. rokerparks scoreboard

rokerparks scoreboard Active Member

Fletchers a good hold up man and good in the air which can only be a plus for whickham and ji as they can learn from him.For me he will be a great link up man aswel as getting his share of goals and we wouldn't have the issue of not settling in the north east as he would be closer to home than where he is now being from scotland.Good solid signing imo and doesnt seem the type to complain when not in the side.

13. Big Bad Wesley Brown

Big Bad Wesley Brown Well-Known Member

I'd much rather have an honest, hard worker like Fletcher than a greedy mercenary with a big reputation like Gyan or Bent who will up sticks as soon as another club flashes its chequebook.

14. rokerparks scoreboard

rokerparks scoreboard Active Member

here here mcbardinho

15. Schwerer Gustav

Schwerer Gustav Well-Known Member

He could yet turn us down, we really must get this chip of our shoulder lads.

To get anyone up here who is any improvement on what we have who is a UK player is proving testing for MON.

We are begging for a signing and we are still being choosy.

16. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

OK you have convinced me, lets get him signed up

17. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

I keep hearing this and I really don't get it. When we had him, welbeck was just some kid from man u, most on here (or old 606 at least) wanted him dropped for half the season.. He was not the player he is now (and he's still nothing particularly special imo). Bent, when we signed him was a spurs reject, and a laughing stock - "my wife would have scored that", remember? We took a gamble and it just so happened to work out, but at the time everyone thought we were the biggest mugs going.

As for the greedy ****er gyan, he's averaged about 1 in 3 his entire career (until he went to play with the camels), in poorer leagues than england. In 2010/11, he played 31 league games for us, scoring 10 goals as we finished 10th. Last season, Fletcher played 32 games for wolves and scored 12, as wolves finished rock bottom. Fletcher is a more prolific goalscorer than gyan. He's also younger.

I just can't understand why people keep saying "look what we've gone from", as if in the past we were signing the top strikers in europe or something? We never have done. Sure, bent turned out be a goal machine while he was here, but gyan? welbeck? I don't get it.

18. billofengland

billofengland Well-Known Member

Still only speculation. Has not come as a mindblower realy, with all the press and media speculation over the past month. and as I said thus far only speculation. Question,,,,,,,,, WHATS MoN SAYING?

19. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Bring him on I'd love it if he came. He scored the most headers in the whole of the Prem last season. Ideal for us with Larson and McClean. He can also operate as a right winger if need be!

20. Big Bad Wesley Brown

Big Bad Wesley Brown Well-Known Member

You have just articulated my thoughts on this matter perfectly mate. Admittedly a striker of Bent's calibre is a big miss but he chose to follow the money, and we should remember his wonderful new side finished below us last season. Gyan was never that convincing even when he was here, and in the few games he played for us at the start of last season he was nothing short of a disgrace. Welbeck as you say was an unknown quantity when we had him, and we never really had a chance of getting him back when it became apparent he was part of Man U's plans.