1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sky Sports News - Gazza

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Jun 14, 2012.

1. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I would rather keep him and take a risk of losing him, what we need to think is promotion more important than 400k or what ever is being offered because if we let him go we could be risking our chances, he is going to be a top player and I don't want us to lose him.

2. brb

brb Guest

gills4ever - I think you probably read me a little deeper than most and understand where I am coming from. To say I have a dislike for the Premiership is an understatement, bordering on hatred. In fact I could probably write war and peace on it. So if I am being truthful which is what this is all about, it runs a bit deeper than Gazza.

3. gills4everandaday

gills4everandaday Active Member

and so say all of us <ok>

4. brb

brb Guest

BBC Radio Kent reporting that, Martin Allen says Paulo Gazzaniga will be a Gills player next season and says no transfers would be imminent.

So a relief that even Mad Dog can see the potential. If Premiership clubs are really that interested in him they will have to pay a lot more than any realistic figures that I have seen.

5. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

This we be an utterly pointless move unless we have managed to get an extension to Paulo's contract (which I doubt). So he will be here for another season before we lose him on a free, the chances of promotion this season haven't significantly increased because i) we have adequate cover at this level in Flitney and ii) we could really have done with the cash injection to improve team elsewhere

6. gills4everandaday

one thing is for sure if gazza stays "which i'm happy to see" and thats that he signs a new deal with us, rather than go for pennuts next season because he's out of contract, though we'd get a fee with him being only 20-21. i'm sure if he enjoys playing for gillingham fc...like he always has said he does...then he'll sign an extension with us !

regards money, we could well see some matt jarvis funds coming in soon from his wolves sale and then i'm sure ryan bertrand will trigger his next installment in a few months time !

7. brb

brb Guest

I agree with you in part BSG, surely that is why the club should be discussing with him an extension on his contract NOW of another 2 years at least.

The club have got Gazza where he is (obviously with his own hard work as well), so surely if he has any intentions of leaving the club within the next 12 months, then they need to sit down and come to an agreement.

Whatever my opinions, I am not dumb enough to let a large substantial amount of cash just walk out the door, without thinking of all the options available at this immediate time. Personally my ethos does not change for any player good or bad, favoured or disliked. Therefore I would fail to see any reason if I owned the club why we should not be reaching an agreement. My principals remain the same throughout.

8. jokeykid(606)

jokeykid(606) Member

as brb said it has to be a head decision and for the position the club is in if he wont sign an extention then unfortunatly i think we'd be better off cashing in now rather than trying to persuade him next year after the big boys have come knocking in jan with some very large wage offers (or atleast too large for us to match), if he goes we still have flitney who people were more than happy with if i remember before he got injured and allen has enough contacts to get us another keeper im sure, especially with the fund from a gazza sale

9. HOADIE_BOI

Yeah Flitney is OK and I think some people are unfair to him from things I have been reading over the internet, if you remember back to before he went off form which I think was caused by the injury he was playing great, some of us even said he was player of the year upto December so I would trust that he is good enough, he is not non league standard in my opinion.

10. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Flitney is not a bad goalkeeper for this level but if we are to progress and get promotion then we could do with a better keeper. I don't think he is good enough for League One standard football. Best thing we can try and do is to get Paulo to sign a one year contract extension and he go at the end of next season. That way we can have him in the sticks for our promotion winning year and we could get a better price for him as he would be a League One goalkeeper then ;)

11. brb

brb Guest

Where has anyone said on here that Flitney is not good enough. Using your term 'internet' well it certainly was not on this thread, if even this forum. No one has even said he is non league standard on this thread.

The topic was in regards to Gazza and the rights and wrongs of his sale dependent on people's own personal opinions, now I know Flitney forms part of that debate but you need to take your discussion up with wherever you saw it, surely?

12. HOADIE_BOI

Yeah I know it isn't on here, that is why I used the word internet. I should have put Facebook and KM as that is where people slate him, it does my head in seeing it as his only problem was that he got injured and that he lost confidence, I think he is a good keeper for League 2 and could do a good job but if Gazza was to leave I would look for another good keeper, prefer them to be young so we can develop another one.

13. brb

brb Guest

Hoadie - you really do not get it do you?

Why not speak to the people on Facebook or KM then? The topic was NOT about Flitney it is about Gazza i.e. differing opinions on his sale. As I said Flitney forms part of that discussion, in other words the qualities he has to bring if Gazza should leave. You just went for your normal discussion ender without reading previous posters comments and sticking with the flow of things. Now your even contradicting your opinion, I'm not going to reply to you again fella on this matter, with respect you seem to much like hard work at times.

14. HOADIE_BOI

OK brb we will discuss Flitney if Gazza goes for now I will stick to Gazza.

15. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Problem? What problem? We have two very good goalkeepers for our level of football. How nice, for a change, to have such a dilemma. :emoticon-0103-cool:

16. gills4everandaday

calm down brb <yikes> :emoticon-0183-swear: your heading down a one way street with this <laugh>

poor little hoadie <whistle> leave him to it, it'll only crop up on another tread further down the line mate :headbang:

17. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

WINDYROG has got it right. The club is spoilt for choice with two good goalies and any decision on Gazza has to reflect the availability of a reliable if unflashy Flitney. Everyone must agree that the worst option is for Gazza to walk away at the end of his contract for free and i think most people will agree that Gazza is probably going to move on at some stage in the forseeable future.
    So the key question has to be will the team do better next season next season with gazza in goal and a team funded from an existing budget OR would a team do better still with Flitney in goal and a stronger team funded by a significant transfer fee for Gazza? There is an argument that holding on to Gazza for a year or two might generate a megafee in due course but this can be partially covered by a contract of sale that provides appropriate sell on clauses ( say 25% of future transfer fees and £1M after, say 100 Premiership games etc etc).
    I must say the temptation of a decent fee with sell on clauses is irresistable and in my opinion the best deal for the fans.

18. gills4everandaday

without a doubt the club will be aware of gazza's situation and won't let a young prospect rated so highly escape without gillingham fc gaining from it !
    they will either be looking at a new deal already or will do the best deal possible for gazza & gillingham fc when that time comes !

19. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

I think there is a very good chance that Gazza will be signed by a bigger club before the beginning of the season BUT i think he will be loaned back to us for this season. I expect the fee to be below £400k but with a lot of extras for matches played and sell ons. I beleve this will be a good deal for both teams. Gazza playing first team football and Gills getting a fee for now and the future if he does well.

20. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

If Gazza isn't loaned back to us (and quite frankly,I don't see that he would be, because whoever buys him will want their own coaches to work with him) , then I can see us signing Stuart Nelson as MA rates him highly, and Flitney being the No2, because Nelson would probably only come as first choice.