1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sky Sports News - Gazza

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Jun 14, 2012.

1. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I don't know what is best to do, should we keep hold of him and risk losing him on a pre contract which we will get a tribunal fee of probably around 100k to 200klike we did with Jarvis and he gets us promoted or sell him now and ruin our chances of going up due to not having a decent keeper.

2. gills4everandaday

gills4everandaday Active Member

yes i could well be having a laugh with a£4m price on gazza, but then so are the one's who value butland at £6m !

and the fact you BSG have backed up butland's value is all the more laughable...when slating gazza's price tag, because butland too has had one first season in the second division and was not all that against gillingham in his last game and played less games than gazza also.
    i'd safely say gazza is alround a better player and the only thing that has given butland that value is an England call up...yet still no games at international level ! <confused>

3. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Firstly I never agreed with the valuation of Butland, I merely suggested that the valuation of £4M pound for a player who has had a only 20 odd first team games was excessive.

However the is a gulf in the experience between Paulo and Jack, explaining why Jack is held in such high regard by Brum. Butland has been part of the Brum youth setup for numerous years, even winning their young player of the season award for the 09/10 after signing his first professional contract, he was deemed good enough by Birmingham to be given a squad number the following season when Brum were still in the premiership plus he has represented England at every level from U15 upwards. So clealy the lad is talent and what i more he is a known talent in the UK unlike Paulo who is still relatively untried and unknown in this country. Butland, on paper at least, looks like the better option.

Also to to be really pedantic Butland played 24 games for Cheltenham and Paulo has only played 20 games so the your last statement about him palying less games than Paulo is incorrect.

4. HOADIE_BOI

I think Butland is highly overpriced but that is because if a club don't want to let a player go then they are going to price that player high and also with Birmingham being a large club they can price their players a lot higher than League 2 clubs, I think if Butland was playing for us he would probably be of subject of bids around 800k to 1m.

5. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

The most important aspect of a Gazza sale would be the "sell on" clause.

6. gills4everandaday

thats sums up my point to you BSG, give or take three or four appearances between the two keepers, thats about what the difference there is...a few odd appearances !
    none of what you state about butland outright concludes butland as having more experience at first team level, whilst neither does it justify one being worth £500,000 and the other £6m...down to the fact one has a youth team player of the year medal at birmingham and some international youth level caps, because how many of those youth players make it...not many.
    plus the experience for gazza in velencia youth team is not exactly non league level !!!

agree to disagree...but believe me, there is not a £5.5m price gap between those two keepers !

7. HOADIE_BOI

I think Butland will be one of the top keepers, not sure if he will actually play for England as Hart is so good I can't see anyone displacing him.

8. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Agreed I don't think there is £5.5M difference in value between the two but I feel that Butland's experience in the England youth set up makes him a better bet for the future. As I pointed out though Butland has probably been scouted more than Paulo, simply down to being based in the UK so teams "know" more about him and therefore are willing to pay more. Assuming that Paulo has a consistant season this time around I am sure his stock will soar to similar levels as Butland's

9. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

There is one significant influence on the valuation of Gazza which people are missing....The Argie discount. No discrimination is intended when I point this out but the discount will be a big one. First of all image rights, which are important at big clubs, will be reduced for an Argentinian player especially after the Tevez affair. Secondly, it is a long way home for a young lad who might get homesick or might have family responsibilities. Think how often Tevez disappeared back home even when he wasn't in a sulk with Mancini. It is not like a European or even African player who can fly home after a Saturday game and be back for training on a Monday.
    There may be another factor relevant to gazza. It is rumoured that Hessy convinced him that he was going from Valencia to the Malvinas where he could fullfill his patriotic duty with some espionage. Remember, although this sounds a bit far fetched, he did not speak any English and is gullible. The problem therefore is that once he realises that Chatham is not Port Stanley, and once he becomes tired of searching for Argie paratroopers dropping from the skies over Priestfield, he will become disillusioned and will want to return home for guidance from the military. This has to be a concern for any buyer. Much of his time is spent at the Dockyard searching for the sub that sunk the Belgrano.
    So far as I know Butland has no comparable adverse valuation issues and after a few months of language training he may be able to communicate with the Brummies.

10. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

At last Bristol..........someone talking some sense at last! :emoticon-0103-cool:

11. milo219

milo219 Member

https://twitter.com/greg_kos_sport/status/222593019671613441

Another club interested apparently. If he has to go it better be for the right price

12. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

I think Southampton may be a good club for him to move to, if he does well in training I think Adkins would bring him into the side. That said would they be a club that would offer the best fee?

13. gills4everandaday

southampton are one of the three clubs in the premiership to be showing a firm interest in gazza and are using ex gill keeper vince bartram who's now saints youth coach to try and make things happen regards there interest !

if gazza is to leave us, i'd rather he went somewhere like the saints where he'd get his chance under atkins, so that when he lives up to his billing...he will move onto a bigger club and we will gain a decent sell on fee :1980_boogie_down:

if so we need to makesure we do what saints did with arsenal fc (walcott/chamberlain) and get as bigger fee as possible...big fees...yes i know totally different players, but why not !

with jack butland reportedly rated at £7m...we should be aiming high, i'm sure something like £750.000-£800.000, even £1m <yikes> with add-ons and a 15%-25% sell on fee should be what we're looking at, but makesure we get a season loan back to us <ok>

14. brb

brb Guest

15. gills4everandaday

birmingham's lee clark has said jack butland will only go for crazy money. southampton have already had big money bid for butland turned down and have now looked to turn there attention to the gills gazza !
    i think the fact the saints have bid big money for a player who is of the same ilk & history as gazza, means we have a case for a starting figure regards paulo gazzaniga and what we sell him for...even if he only has a year left on his contract !

and yes brb i would be gutted to see him go...unless we can get him back for a season ?

16. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

I doubt we will recieve a huge initial fee for Paulo. We will probably recieve somewhere in the region of £500k with adds on for first team apperances and a sell on fee.

17. brb

brb Guest

Just the thought of this sale is making my blood boil, trouble is I am not joking either. I've got my season ticket and when I next walk through that turnstile for the first home game, I want to see Gazza between the sticks, even if it is settling for that option.

18. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Why?

In all fairness to Paulo no one player is bigger than the team, and as far as I can see our promotion hopes aren't significantly increased with him in the squad compared if we let him go. If he does go and the fee is reinvested inthe playing squad (as suggested by da Dog) I will be content. If he stays I will also be happy.

19. brb

brb Guest

I just feel that we are forever in this spiral, that as soon has a half decent player comes along and with one year of a two year contract remaining, the talk appears to be more around how much money we can get for him than any future ambition of the club.

Sign him up for another two years (3 years total) and then if someone comes in with silly money £M+ then consider. So many people have this belief we are a Championship side, we are not, we have always been a Division 4/3 club. The only way that is going to change, so we can get back to the Championship is to hold on to what we have in the same way we did with Jack Payne. Take Rooney, another sale I believe that should not have happened, failure by management and one big ego, saw that departure and demonstrated the difference between us and Swindon.

We need to start thinking ambitiously, our side is still half crocked in its set up, let us not create another hole where there does not need to be one. Give me a decent left back, give me a decent winger, make sure Birchall is back, should have kept Simon King for another season. Then and only then would I entertain another displacement.

I hate all this money at the bigger clubs tempting any talent away. I say it every season, that's another transfer that will cost us promotion, please not let me speak those immortal words this season.

No one player is bigger than a team but they make up a crucial part of a winning, auto promotion team. Still as usual, I expect we will settle for second best in place of some Lira.

20. gills4everandaday

brb, it sounds like you like me have a dislike for the premiership and there wealth and walking over most clubs outside that league, and as you say, unless we hold onto what we've got....we can never build on it !

rather than the money that we will get in the end...for what it's worth <grr> i would also rather hold onto gazza and co to move us forward with a side that manages to play togeather for more than a season or two !

we know money talks though...whatever the amount :emoticon-0119-puke:

rich get richer, while the poor get poorer...and ain't that the truth !!!