1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SKY gets all races - BBC only half [Merged]

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Bergkamp a Dutch master, Jul 29, 2011.

?

Will you pay for sky sports to watch F1?

1. No

2. Yes

3. Haven't decided yet...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

this goes alongside increased viewership of F3 with people wondering what is it? and why does he keep banging on about it?

2. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

The loss of his personality will be a huge blow to the sport.

Probably a draw only second to Ferrari's?

3. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It seems Gary Anderson won't be on the BBC coverage this season... :(

4. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

WHAA??? He was the diffence between the BBC and SKY... Is he going to SKY?

Great so our Technical Insider for the BBC is now Suzi Perry....

5. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

I think he's just retiring from it all, or at least theres no mention of him going somewhere else.

6. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Seems he's still doing a bit for Autosport: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112304

I hadn't heard this news but I did wonder because there's usually a technical bit in a grey box on BBC articles which is written by Anderson, but there hasn't been any for a while. They've got McNish on board which is a good addition, doesn't offer quite the same slant as an ex-designer though.

7. 51LV3R8RR04

51LV3R8RR04 Well-Known Member

He did get a lot of stick for ****ing up saying McLaren had an edge over the competition at the start of the season yet it turned out to be dogshit.

8. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't say i was as enamoured with Anderson's contributions as everyone else. Obviously a very clever man, but had a habit of claiming fact when it was really no more than an educated guess or opinion (see McLaren 2012 & 2013). Perhaps the BBC are to blame for that, but it grated on me.

9. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

FOM have reported a 50 million drop in viewing figures this year, which Bernie has duly blamed on Vettel and Red Bull.

There some interesting points in that. Here are the viewing figures year-on-year:

2011: 515 million (19 races)
    2012: 500 million (20 races)
    2013: 450 million (19 races)

So there were less viewers in 2012, a competitive season, than 2011 when Vettel dominated. 5 million viewers were lost in the UK alone that year, the year half the races switched from the BBC to Sky. This year they've sold the French TV rights to pay per view channel Canal+, losing 17m viewers. In China, coverage has also been taken from the state broadcaster and resulted in a 30m loss in viewers, accounting for 47m of the 50m who've stopped watching. It's clear that putting F1 behind a paywall is harming it far more than on-track results.

The solution: Double points. <diva>

10. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

<laugh> Just proves Bernie doesn't have a clue anymore about the business he is running.

but...

Of course that statement may sound true but we all know Bernie is smarter than that and is just winding up someone to get something he wants

11. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/feature/5869/ask-gary-anderson/
    Ask Gary Anderson

please log in to view this image

In a new regular feature, AUTOSPORT technical expert and ex-Formula 1 designer GARY ANDERSON answers your questions - this week including 2014 F1 tech loopholes and his exit from the BBC

"What was the BBC thinking when it got rid of you, Gary?"

Ben Roynon, via Facebook

Got rid of me seems a little harsh, but in reality I suppose that's the correct term.
    Ever since I started work with them, I've been pushing them to do more on the technical side, and during the second half of 2013 it appeared to me that they were wanting to do less.
    For example, I set up an open-house visit to Renault to cover the engine package for 2014 in detail and twice on the day before we were due to go it was cancelled by the BBC. The reasoning was that as far as they were concerned, the viewers were not that interested.
    I was not very happy. I believed that with the enormous technical changes for 2014, we should be doing more, not less.
    I felt that if I couldn't bring to the viewer what I felt they wanted because my hands were tied, then it was better not to be there at all. I was in the midst of writing a resignation email when I got the call from them to meet up for a chat, which is when, as you say, they got rid of me!

<doh>

12. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

<doh> having a look at Renault would have been perfect. even fairweather fans are talking about changes for 2014!!

13. allsaintchris.

BBC trying to dumb F1 levels beyond what Sky can plummet to.......

14. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I was hoping that they would get more techy with the huge rule changes not less.

15. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

An alternative viewpoint:

If McNish is to be his replacement, then I'm disappointed were losing any kind of technical discussions, even if they weren't always accurate. I'll admit Anderson's attitude sometimes annoyed me, he'd act as if all the F1 engineers were morons for taking a design route he didn't agree with/understand.

16. allsaintchris.

Whilst Ross Brawn would be great for the technical input, just not sure he is really TV material.

17. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Sky Sports coverage, in the general sense of the word, is pretty reasonable. In the pit lane they are good and Damon and Jonny are good guys to have.

Their lead commentator, however, is the weakest link in their whole setup. He is horrendous.

I hope Sky get Eddie and DC from the BBC because Beeb has obviously thrown in the towel.

Any suggestions for lead commentator?

18. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Even as someone who was not a fan of Anderson. It'll be a big shame if there's no technical insight at all next season. I hope their intending to replace him properly.

Sky's coverage has always felt pretty bland to me, and their poor ratings reflect that i think. BBC meanwhile having been falling backwards after being great in 2011 (albeit i like DC and Ben Edwards as commentators). Recently, i only tune in 5 minutes before the start regardless of who's airing the race.

19. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

OK so Anderson may not have been the most up to date with his technical knowledge but he was better than NO technical expert.
    To me the BBC coverage is backwards. i.e. there is way too much time before the race where they just pad and then when the race is over and there is lots to discuss then finish the program and push any after race stuff to the red button channel.
    Maybe it's because I trained as an engineer and have always wanted to know how things work but I would love there to be more technical stuff on the BBC coverage. I know not all fans want the full info but F1 is supposed to be about pushing engineering boundaries and new technology but the TV coverage fail to cover this.

So thank you to everyone on here for their technical knowledge, it's a great place to learn. Thanks.

20. 51LV3R8RR04

51LV3R8RR04 Well-Known Member

Well Top Gear aims for 9 year olds and the reason why it's so successful, maybe we will see the Stig and Clarkson sooner than you think?