1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

size matters

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by N22hoop, Aug 5, 2012.

1. N22hoop

N22hoop Well-Known Member

Went to wembley for the first time since the 1982 cup final yesterday to watch Mexico beat Senegal 4 - 2, and thought I'd add my two pence worth to all the stadium threads on here recently. I thought the facilities were amazing and really showed just how far behind Loftus road has got. It was particularly nice to be able to sit and watch the game without constantly worrying there was no blood circulation to my legs! Couldn't believe the size of the place, and the size of the crowd (81,000). There were a few Mexicans and fewer Senegalese but mostly Brits and tourists trying to get a bit of the Olympic buzz. And the game was OK. Lots of good attacking and shocking defending - just what the neutral spectator wants. Sitting half way back though, I was reminded why I love Loftus road. Its the same reason I prefer watching bands in pubs to watching them at Wembley arena. However good the game is, you just can't get that same intensity when the players are the size of subbuteo pieces. My two sons (5 and 7) obviously felt the same because they quickly lost interest, disappeared down an exit tunnel and got lost - briefly. Anyway, my point is I don't want a 45,000 seater stadium (I wouldn't mind some more leg room though)!

2. Actonboy62

Actonboy62 New Member

I have to agree with you, N22. I have been living in and around Reading for the past 8 years and I have to say that Reading have got it about right with their stadium. I would like ours to hold more than they can but access, facilities, views and leg room is all superb. I even went to Wycombe the other night and they have more leg room than we have.
    We will have to wait and see with what the board decide on......fingers crossed.

3. old hoop

old hoop Member

Likewise N22, and have to agree with all that you say. Our first ever visit yesterday, and although there are plenty of loos/bars/eateries and the sheer scale of the place is mightily impressive, the atmosphere is crap. Obviously the atmosphere would have been better if Team GB had been playing and given the bulk of the crowd something to keep interested in. My lad (8 and a veteran of 1 1/2 seasons in the LL) was bored within half an hour and more interested in the old Senegalese chap in the row behind who appeared somewhat incontinent ! Just proves that the atmosphere at our battered old ground is like gold dust and should be the prime factor in the building of the new place. As for Wembley I'll happily leave it for the tourists and concert goers

4. N22hoop

N22hoop Well-Known Member

You're right about there being a better atmosphere were team GB playing. It got me thinking about watching the R's in really big stadiums like the play-off final in 2003 at the millenium stadium in Cardiff. I remember the atmosphere, the walk through the town, the white shirts and the 30,000 rangers fans. But I can't remember much of the match itself, unlike the semi-final 2nd leg at Loftus road against oldham and Furs goal. Maybe its because we lost the final, but I definitely prefer smaller grounds.

5. TheLoneRanger

TheLoneRanger Well-Known Member

Do people still piss on the stairs going in? I remember walking in to wembley for the '82 final and the stairs going to the stands were lime a water fall.

6. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

That could have been me??

7. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

size matters

not according to my wife

8. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

This will be solved by TF holding his meetings with the architects on a Saturday morning at the ground, and then giving them seats for the match. Let them feel the noise and live the atmosphere. Let them see the roar, and the effect it has on the opposition. Get into their heads exactly what Loftus Road is like when the crowd opens it's mouth and gives voice.

Then bring them into a room and simply tell them "Give me that in a 45000 seater stadium."

Simples.

9. Rod-nee

Rod-nee Active Member

I saw the premiership rugby final at Twickenham last year, along with 80,000 others, but there wasn't as much atmosphere as LR with 15,000. OK, I know that club rugby crowds are generally more restrained and refined than football crowds, but the place was so huge, it was like sitting on the side of the Grand Canyon. Certainly, there was good leg room (but, as someone has already pointed out, Wycombe give you more than we do), but you were so far from the pitch (I was actually in the very back row) it was like watching a computer game.

I like WLW's suggestion! Maybe the architects can design it so the sound doesn't go upwards, but is reflected back into the stadium?

10. SussexR

SussexR Well-Known Member

Went to the Mexico-Japan mens semi on Tuesday (in the lower tier) and also the Womans final yesterday, USA-Japan (in the upper tier). These were our first visits to the new Wembley. Have to say what a magnificent Stadium. I was always dismissive of how much the place cost (wasn't it £750 million) but it is just a quality Stadium. The facilities, legroom, sound system/ access, all superb. It is colossal. Being an engineering sort of person, the roof structure fascinated me (I know, sad old b*****d) but it is truely amazing. I am very impressed with teh facility, that got it spot on for the "Home of Football" tag.

Having said all that, I love Loftus Road, its irreplaceable and when it goes, something is going to go with it and be lost forever and I think its the intimacy. Lets just hope that the Board get the design as right as they can for our little old club.

Up the R'sssss