1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Silva gone

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Nascotwoodfrog, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain why Watford might be owed compensation? Wasn't Silva sacked therefore he was booted out and is free to do what he wants, surely?

2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

From what I have seen of the favourites for this job, most of them are not suitable. Being manager of Real Madrid is probably the biggest job in club football and they are looking for someone who has either won one of the big leagues, or a European title. Only Diego Simeone and Pep Guardiola are big enough on this count, but both are discounted because of their connections to Atletico and Barca. Which means they will recruit from within, like last time. Taking over a club which has just won 3 Champions League titles in a row must be a poisoned chalice, it can only really go downhill.

3. Agree - and probably someone most of us have never heard of!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2018
  4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well some of it is guess work, but you can draw together a few bits and pieces. Everton offered Watford somewhere in the region of £9-£12 M to buy out his contract. Watford refused the offer saying they wished to keep him. That much we do know. It is then reported that Everton made contact with his agent on a number of occasions and made offers to have him break his contract. Watford complained that Everton were making illegal approaches to their manager. That much is also fairly well known. After that we are into speculation that he said he wished to go, and basically lost interest in Watford. With Gino at the training ground most days he would have known what was happening. If there was a lack of interest in doing his job, then sacking him would be justified, but if it was shown that Everton was the reason behind it, then they have to take responsibility for their actions. Rather than have a PL club openly accuse another of illegal actions, there has been some form of arbitration going on to see if a settlement can be reached. That much is also known, but I don't think there has been a resolution yet.

5. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

Im sure its a bit of twoing and trowing they want to pay us 2M and we want them out of the EPL .the EPL want to have it sorted they want to give us 2M we want 5M the EPL will tell Everton to come up with 4M and dont do it again .The problem i see is how many of our good players want to join Everton ?

6. Mexican Hornet

Cheers, that is sort of how I understood the grey lines. Strange one mind.

7. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if part of the deal would be that they cannot buy any of our players in this transfer window, and possibly January as well.

8. Jsybarry

Everton were still paying Koeman, even though they had sacked him and that continued after he became manager of the Netherlands national team, but it probably wasn't the full amount while he was employed by them. I don't know if they're still paying him, but I doubt it.

9. Mexican Hornet

I need a job as a manager, if I got sacked here, I'd just get me email account deleted and a night out with my co-workers. END OF!! ahahhaha

10. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

We’ve already appointed him, we’ve been able to do that legally as his contract with Watford was terminated by Watford and they didn’t pay him what was due in terms of the contractual terms, which was reportedly the value his contract until the end of year 1, which has just passed.

If Watford want to bring up their complaint of us tapping him up to the FA / PL again then they can if they wish, but they’ll need some hard evidence, and the fact that when it was brought up previously the FA’s verdict was ‘go away and sort it out between yourselves’ says to me that there isn’t any. We’ll see.

11. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

To be honest I, personally, couldn't give a damn about the money either way. You are welcome to him - if you want to give employment to someone who is so unprofessional as to act in the way he has done then it is your risk. Just beware of how he reacts if someone bigger comes sniffing and downs tools on you as well.

Nascotwoodfrog likes this.
  12. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

The Pozzo's will know what they are doing. They've been running football clubs for decades and are quite adept at their legal dealings. It's not so much whether there's a case to be answered as to whether the EPL have the will to implement a full and proper sanction if an agreement is not reached.
    If there's already a siege mentality here then that's because we know that every season of survival for us is a bit of a thumb in the eye for the so called and so evidenced elite. Of which Everton are a part, however awful they are off or on the pitch.

13. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

As I said in a previous post to you a couple of weeks ago it was not if you appointed him but when, which has been the case since last October and is why this story is still doing the rounds and has not been settled. Everton have been quilty in their actions and will have to pay up something which will as part of the compensation be kept confidential from the rest of us. It is not a case of if they settle its a case of when yet again and having appointed him my pure guess is it will happen sooner than later as they will not want further embarrassing story's continuing with Silva now in place.

14. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

Its just a matter of time and how much they pay plus if they are banned from talking to our players ?

15. Jsybarry

My colleague who supports Everton said that he wouldn't have been her choice, but that she's willing to give him a chance.

16. Mexican Hornet

The two Toffee lads at my work called it a lazy appointment and the other a risk.
    Bet they are more excited for Silva than Sam mind.

17. Jsybarry

My colleague didn't actually say who her choice would be. As for your colleagues, I wouldn't say it was a lazy appointment if you've been after someone for 7 months, and all managerial appointments have at least an initial risk, even Pep at Man City.

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  18. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Well one thing is for sure - he cannot be any less popular than Big Sam!

Deleted....... likes this.
  19. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

They might be banned from talking to our players, Brian, but what would be the odds on them tapping up? <whistle>

20. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator