1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Should the club now go into Covid self-isolation?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by wishiwasinliverpool, Oct 6, 2020.

1. saintKlopp

That underpins most things, but it's not quite that simplistic. Last season was two thirds of the way through and in addition to the £££££ there was a lot of desire to see many issues resolved. This season has only just begun, and there's a risk that it all could go tits up and then a lot more money will be lost. At a time when covid cases are again on the rise it makes more sense, both ethically and financially imo, to minimise the risk by keeping the amount of contact down to the minimum necessary.
    The international tournaments should be put on hold until we know for sure where we're going with this.
    This could apply to the continental club competitions as well possibly - domestic club competitions are the "safest" we can manage atm.

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

You could argue that the qualification for Euro 20 (21) is almost complete in the same way last season was; the play offs start this break and they surely need/want to know the final line up? I know you don't have much interest in it but there'll be plenty round Europe who do, the Jocks and Irish teams for a start.

I tend to agree about the domestic European competitions too btw but again it comes down to money, think it's about £3b for CL and about £2.5b for the Euros.

I just think if you're allowing those then allowing the internationals isn't much more of a stretch, footballers are already living by different rules to the rest of the population ultimately. With the testing that's in place I don't think they're that much more risky than the CL/EL games, especially with the money involved.

I'm looking forward to them, be nice to possibly see some games with fans there. The friendlies are definitely a bit silly though.

Micky Dora likes this.
  3. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

They’re paying for it all privately so doesn’t take away any of the nhs testing.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  4. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

The people I know that's tested positive haven't had symptoms. Don't know anyone that's tested positive with symptoms; guessing they just isolate because the syndromes are there.

5. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Even if someone doesn't have symptoms they can still pass it on to others who may develop symptoms. It's quite unlikely because it's spread by droplets, usually coughs and sneezes but can also be spread by kissing. <whistle>

6. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

Figures

7. wishiwasinliverpool

Which one of them did you kiss, then?

8. saintKlopp

Just breathing out transmits it as well, though obviously not as far as coughs and sneezes. Being heavier than air it will quickly fall onto surfaces so if someone else touches the surface whilst it's still active they can then catch it that way.
    At least, that is what is understood so far, but we're still learning.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  9. saintKlopp

Home tests have been available for months, although they only tell you if you currently have it, not if you have had it and are no longer contagious. The antibody test for the latter is still not widely available as far as I know.

10. johnsonsbaby

I don't kiss and tell :)

saintKlopp likes this.

11. wishiwasinliverpool

<laugh>

What irks me about the testing is this: at the beginning we were told every man and his dog should test; then, presumably because of the volume of requests for testing and the inability for the testers to cope, it changed to only test if you have symptoms (for NHS plebs and peasants). I did have an antibody test at work which was negative. I asked the nurse if this was good or bad; she said it depends how you look at it: good - you've observed social distancing/handwashing (drummed into us in the NHS), yet if you're positive just self-isolate then you may (may!!!!) have developed antibodies. Virtually every clinician (I'm admin) in our department has had this stupid virus.

It's strange that all the tests on footballers appear to be asymptomatic, therefore meaning they must be fitter than your average butcher's dog; but we should remember that this thing can kill anyone, regardless of pre-existing conditions. I have epilepsy, which you could argue is a pre-ex condition, but it's neuro, not lungs. I don't consider myself at risk at all - pre-existingly....

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Where abouts in the country are you out of interest? Trust I work for is hoping to have routine asymptomatic testing for staff up and running again shortly.

13. johnsonsbaby

Not sure how useful the antibodies test is. We still don't know if a positive test means you're immune or only means that you've been exposed in the past.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Don't think they're incredibly accurate either at this stage.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  15. wishiwasinliverpool

Scouser born and bred sadly living in Bristol for work reasons. I came down for work experience after graduation from Liverpool John Moores as a librarian (now I'm a med sec) and met my husband here, so I stayed. It's in my Will that I must die in the city where I was born, Liverpool, fact. My husband knows this if I go before him. I'm to be cremated and scattered on the Mersey. If he goes first he'll be scattered on Findhorn Bay in Scotland. Anyhoo, this southern jessie region isn't too bad Covidwise and according to the NHS App my postcode is medium (and that's a point, why doesn't it work like the BBC Weather App and follow locations?). The south west is OK overall.

But a close colleague of mine tested postive and her whole family were badly affected. Although we had not been in contact with her for over 7 days we did book precautionary tests but were told the department would have to close if we went through with it (barmey, considering most of the clinicians had had it or had family who'd had symptoms, therefore they'd had to self-isolate, and the department struggled on then) so we cancelled, but we were trying to do our civic duty. I'd had an antibody test back in June (routine for the Trust) which was negative, but the test itself has not been routine. No sign of it being so as yet, either.

Libby likes this.
  16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah it's no where as prevalent down south as it is up north, at the moment at least. I had antibody similar amount of time and like you was negative, though we were told not to pay much attention to it even if positive. We started routine testing about a month back but it didn't last long - stopped around the time there was loads of issues around people not being able to get tests local to them.

Bit ****ty that they stopped you from having a test from fear of shutting the department, they not facilitated home working?

wishiwasinliverpool likes this.
  17. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

The Swiss FA have said that Shaqiri does not have Covid 19 as it was a false positive .

wishiwasinliverpool likes this.
  18. johnsonsbaby

:emoticon-0141-whew:

19. wishiwasinliverpool

We worked at home for 5 months but it was counter-productive for me as I was a new member of staff and had my training via Whatsapp, email and Teams. Now we have to work back at home for 1 day a week and I'd already given back my work laptop. Pain.

20. wishiwasinliverpool

Yes, it won't stop you getting it