1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Should Hanging be re-instated!

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Norwayhornet, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Southbourne Sid

Southbourne Sid New Member

I'd go along with what North North West suggested. Give people that have been sentenced to something like 25 years or more, the option to opt for death. This application coud be turned down by the state. This would not extend to prisoners convicted of terrorist related crimes. A failed suicide bomber would clearly welcome the opportunity to be killed by the state and become a martyr to their cause.
    Would we miss someone like Peter Sutcliffe? At least Harold Shipman finally did us all a favour.

2. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

For cases like Garry ,then yes hanging should be brought back!

3. Roowfc

Roowfc Member

Just for the record guys i am regularily told i am middle aged so your old aged!

For me though until there can be .100% cirtanty of both who did and why.

4. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

I'd happily be up for the royals to be hung...

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

At the risk of setting you off on another unjustified rant Roo how come you are posting on this thread which is where you were so pointedly against "off topic" subjects?

6. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Leo behave <laugh>

7. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Leo as a moderator bullying isn't the best idea...Making this section more accessible and open to new members should be your main concern <ok>

8. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Toby - bullying??

9. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Bullying as in joining in as a group and attacking someone for their views...I've been following this forum and the BBC forum for years and I appreciate a lot of the amazing conversations and debates that have happened, but sometimes the group's reaction is comparable to bullying...

10. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

What particular instance are you referring to - I assumed you were responding to post #45 & failed to pick up any hint of bullying.

11. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Sorry for the late reply!

When I was referring to bullying, it was people acting as a group to attack someone who they don't agree with/get on with. I've been reading these forums for years, and it happened a lot after WaftordHero came about, and sometimes people unjustifiably have been cast as "the villain" for nothing else than having a slightly "in your face" manner of expressing their views. Ignoring people that annoy you is the only way to not make enemies, everyone has the right to participate and express their opinions, it shouldn't make them the target for unnecessary little jibes and comments.

Sorry for the rant, have a nice Monday <ok>

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Hi Toby - it says you are on line now - if so let me respond

13. Saxet

Saxet Well-Known Member

But regarding your comments about murdering the Royal Family - are you not the kettle that is calling the pot black with your above comments ?

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

People like Watford Hero who come on here to provoke people cannot really be surprised when they find themselves targeted. I actually believe some of them want just that - it is their form of pleasure - in my early days of posting I came across exactly what you did and was horrified and considered it unfair bullying. I wrote a small piece saying so and for my efforts became the target of one of his(can't remember now which WUM it was) jibes.

Something I like about our threads is there is very little nastiness and almost no direct attacks on people - compare that to some threads.

However whilst I might occasionally ignore a nasty comment I have been brought up to deal directly with someone who has something to say - witness this response - I believe it gives the other party the chance to respond / explain / clarify and can lead to positive things.

Roo came on with a direct attack - read his post again #16. As it happens I had not even posted on this thread as to me hanging is a subject for debate I left behind at shcool but he found it necessary to include me. He talks of old men in remote locations - guilty - and on another post sarcastically attacks me for my views on Doyley -suggesting I had not been to games in the last five years.

Those are not the sort of posts most people on here use. We state our views rather than have a go at others. I don't like that style as to me that is the action of a bully - someone who instead of using argument to express their view uses a personal attack.

My comment to him was a half hearted jest - as he was now displaying hypocrisy. He attacks non football threads and the people who use them but then joins in the very threads he says he wants stopped. Where is the logic in that.

As it happens I have had off board "chats" with Roo as it turns out that our families have some acquaintance and I am sure he is a very nice lad - but I would stillprefer people to use opinions and views about subjects rather than making personal jibes at others. If I can discourage that kind of behavoiuor whether as a mod - or more really just as an ordinary member of this community I would.

Lastly - sorry to be so boringly long- to respond to your #47 - Iaccepted the job of Moderator for the very rare occasion when someone's post needed by popular consent to be modded. I am no more nor less than others here in wnating to attract and welcome new members. I always welcome "newbies" and whenever I can try to add to this forum.

I hope this olong winded explanationat least gives you a chance to decide for yourself on my intentions and motives.

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Saxet - missed that can you give a # for it please - who are you referring to?

16. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

He's referring to the comment I made about the royals when I was drunk on Friday and quite annoyed by the whole event, it was a silly comment not an attack on someone.

Thank you for your explanation Leo, I know that roo was surprisingly aggressive in his approach, but it wasn't a hate campaign or loads of wum comments, he just expressed his opinion in an awkward way.

The community here are a nice and intelligent bunch, and the variety of debates going on is more interesting than most other boards, but the BBC 606 forum was a lot more football orientated, which would have appealed to some more.

I don't think that trying to wind roo up again was a good idea that's all...

On a side note hello to all <ok>

Shame this season that started so well fizzled out towards the end...

17. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

18. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Hi Hornette,

Would chat on here more often but can't attend games for financial reasons so don't feel like I have any authority to do so, but I really appreciate all the match threads and discussions about the team. Think MM has done an amazing job this season, would never have imagined being anywhere near the playoffs last August.

Talks of DG leaving for £2.5 Mil are scary but possibly true, we are too poor to play hardball :(

19. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Toby, you don't have to go to games to join in here...M Frenchie is in France, Yorkie is in Yorkshire, Leonardo is in Wales, Norway is..well, in Norway as it goes lol...and Ak is in Iceland...hmm, i'm sure i've forgotten someone..but anyway, you get the point :) Please feel free to join in any conversation, you're a fan, you know about the game, you know about the team, and even if you don't, you're still entitled! :)

Happy posting :)

20. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Welcome Toby....I think that Hornette forgot our longest range fan NZ.

Are you able to see the Beebs FL show? Ok, it's bad, but better than nothing.