1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Shortlist / Suggestions for new manager then

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Mar 20, 2018.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I think this means whoever is lined up for the job is in a role that still matters this season. Let's have a quick glance at League Two and see if there is anyone who fits that profile

2. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

With out of contract players leaving ( Barts a worry ), loanees returning to their parent Clubs, and our long term injured players being unavailable, ( I still don't know what Adeyemi looks like ), the new managers biggest problem will be selecting a team, after getting rid of the not good enoughs and the couldn't care less journeymen there ain't a lot left.

Nuggets likes this.
  3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Proper blokes Skusey and Chambers will still be there...

4. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Wouldn't bet against Chambers being player manager.

5. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Keeping Bart would be a big statement of how seriously Evans and the board are about promotion. He is a three time Player of the Season and arguably one of the best goalkeepers in the Championship.

As Fieldmarshall says, if you take out the loanees and deadwood, how many are we left with? How many class outfield players do we have left that are a Premier League class? Webster, Huws, and Waghorn are considered our most talented outfield players. I'd argue that Knudsen, Chambers, Skuse, and Garner, while all McCarthy favourites, provide Championship experience and are decent players at this level. Our academy players who are potentially going to be squad regulars are Kenlock, Cotter, Emmanuel, Downes, Dozzell, Nydam, Folami, and Morris. Some of whom will thrive, some will be decent, and most will realistically drop down the levels. They could be useful players for the new manager, but will ideally need a couple of seasons to gain experience and development. Additions are required, particularly with regards to central defenders, wide players, a striker, and if Bart goes, a first choice keeper replacement.

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I don't think Dozzell is going to make the grade but I have been really impressed with Downes. I'd like to see the back of Skuse and Knudsen. But we have let so many players go who have proven themselves to be good players at other clubs I would say 9 out of 10 of our first team players are potentially good enough to stay in the new man's team. Just a handful like Bart and Chambers should be first on anyone's team sheet. Who ends up in the next first team will depend on what the new manager sees in them.

itfcptc likes this.
  7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I actually was sorry to see Tommy Smith go. I think that was a mistake.

8. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

One thing I had forgotten is that the new man will have his own contacts and players he knows and would want to bring here, Evans permitting

9. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think in Bart, Webster, Chambers, Skuse, Huws, and Waghorn, we have a decent spine to the team. A sprinkling of Kenlock, Dozzell, Nydam, Downes, and Dozzell provides youthful quality. With some shrewd investment in our wide areas and a third striker to support Waghorn and Garner (offload McGoldrick and Sears), we should see a more technically comfortable, entertaining style of football. To accelerate this process, ideally Chambers and Skuse would be squad players and their positions given to younger, more technically competent replacements. Whether this side is good enough for top six is a debate being had elsewhere, but I think if we can use our academy players and allow them to develop, we could be a widely tipped contender in the not too distant future.

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

That about sums it up Nuggets. Yeah we have some average players but so do all the teams from Borough downward.

11. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

An interesting (and very surprising) article in the EADT with the Taiwan manager, who is potentially interested in the Town job

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/taiwan-...e-footsteps-of-ipswich-town-legends-1-5488152

Thoughts?

We can assume, that like Shefki, he has submitted an application and this interview was arranged by his agent to gain a little more publicity and traction in the interview process. Interesting to see that the FA have supported & invested in him and was shortlisted for the U21 job last year

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I like the sound of this guy. Anyone who is not 'business as usual' is exactly what we need to shake things up.

13. stretchyboy

Talks a good game, but then again so do most of those talentless f uckwhits on BGT

14. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I saw that interview and thought it was very inspiring, certainly talks a good talk and his record is very good. He was saying exactly what I want to hear and emulates the philosophy of our most successful managers. Clearly regarded highly by the fa and would be a similar 'left field appointment like Ramsey, Robson and Burley.

Would certainly be a risk but unlike some of the lower league bosses spoken about he has already nearly 20 years experience and sounds like he has the personality to handle the job. The more I think about it the more I like the sound of the appointment. He sounds the complete opposite to Mick and clearly has done a bit of homework.

I see Paul Cook has now been installed as favourite, there must be something in this as it's not normal that the odds change for an in work manager.

Also Kenny Jackett has been added to the list, think he's a half decent manager but would be too similar too Mick.

We need a manager who not just inspires the players but inspires the club as we have to make up for the lack of spending power and that's how we've had success in the past.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    San Diego likes this.
  15. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

First thing I'll be doing when I get to work in the morning will be listening to what our owner has to say for himself. Don't reckon I'm going to be that convinced though and that thinking is probably a product of how things have been under Marcus. Wish I had more confidence in our direction and the owner but I just don't. That could all change with some believable words from ME and eventually knowing who will be in charge.

16. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I'm predicting one of the most scripted interviews ever seen. In fact I'm expecting him to give the Queen's christmas speech a run for it's money.

17. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

It will be Steven Gerard with a DOF....

18. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Talks a good talk,very positive about playing to win,working with what you've got, hope he at least gets an interview for the job.

itfcptc and San Diego like this.
  19. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Thoughts on this?

20. stretchyboy

I initially thought McLaren, but now i think and hope its Stam ...assuming Steijn is not interested. Doubt Slippy G will come