1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Shortlist / Suggestions for new manager then

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Mar 20, 2018.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Well let's go Dutch then!!

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Steijn, Hurst, or Mowbray top my list. Warburton, Clarke, and Jones are my next band of favourites and appointments I'd also be happy to see.

3. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Do we think it's likely to be a manager whose contract runs out this summer given it's ' very unlikely ' we're going to announce before then ?

4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Westy, I think the preferred choice is somebody in management. If Pardew, McClaren, or Warburton were first choice, we'd surely make a quick appointment and give them four games to get acquainted with the club? The fact they are waiting until the end of the season to make the appointment implies, to me, that their preferred choice is currently at a club. Then again, they could just realise that by delaying their recruitment process until the season is finished, they will have a better understanding of what choices are available and so will get more applications.

Scowey likes this.
  5. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Steven Gerard is the new name being linked in the papers today!!!

I'd take him as a player but no way as a manager!

6. Westlake33

No idea what he'd be like as a manager - guess good links etc in the game - but a massive gamble and I'd feel uneasy.

Still, rather him or a lump of wood to Tim Sherwood............ god I hate that melt.

7. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

This is just newspaper speculation. We’re being linked with so many different names - only 1 of them can get the job. Nothing else happening at the club until end of season so they have to keep interest up.

8. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Stams not a bad shout Warky, Reading haven't exactly gone from strength to strength since he left them so perhaps he was getting the best out of what was there.
    Seriously though, it isn't going to be a top flight proven manager because they are in a job right now, it isn't going to a B grade manager because theres no money for anything at all, personally with Burton sure to be relegated I think Nigel Clough could be prized away from there after a fine job getting them to the Championship with no money.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Warky, I recall you being one of McCarthy's staunchest supporters. How did that work out?

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

What exactly did that have to do with McCarthy? It's not like he had a choice in the matter. The problem was appointing him in the first place.

Westlake33 likes this.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

This is like comparing apples with oranges. That league is the equivalent of non-league footie here.

12. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

He was clearly the right appointment at the right time in the beginning as he kept us up, surely! Just should’ve gone at the end of last season.

13. Westlake33

Have to say - whatever peoples opinions of Mick - surely it's down to Evans / not Mick that viewpoint?

For all Mick's faults - he's quite streetsmart / gets the players he wants in quite early / ready to go.

There is not a chance in hell Mick would have thought Murphy would be sold that summer, or he'd have gone a long long long time before / with a replacement coming in with a much better chance of success.

Does anyone seriously think McCarthy would sell very late in the day their main striker, and replace with injury prone / questionable attitude / COULD prosper Leon Best on a free transfer!? Absolutely not a chance in hell.

As soon as that happened, while I wanted Leon Best to have a great season / form a Southampton 10 year ago reunion pact with Dids - the likelyhood of A-Best having a stellar season / doing everything correct with B - McGoldrick being fit all season = probably a 15% success rate.

I wanted 16/17 to work, however as soon as that was the situation - we were in one hell of a mess.............

fieldmarshall likes this.
  14. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

That's right Westy Mick must ha e been totally pissed off when his main striker was sold just before the new season started and Best and Moore were hardly adequate replacements, I wonder if that's when he knew he couldn't work with Evans once his contract was up.

15. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

He still took the contract extension though.

16. Westlake33

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2016/january/contract-extensions-for-mick-and-tc/

He signed it in Jan 2016, we sold Murphy 28 August 2016.

Agree Field - I cannot imagine anyone being particularly amused when a key piece of the jigsaw departs right before the seasons about to kick off with very little time to get a replacement through the door.

All clubs by that point would know we're beyond desperate, up goes that asking price.....

I'll be incredibly interested with what Evans chooses to do this summer. Based on the past five or so and logically -
    * New gafa wanting plenty of new players.
    * Limited funds ( we'd imagine!? )
    * Certain key players we do have with ability ie Huws apparently made of glass....

I have to say next season doesn't - at this particular moment in time fill me with a great deal of joy / realistic optomism.

Of course that will change when the new manager is announced / hopefully get a couple in quickly / ship out who he wants and the jigsaw comes together. It's a change at least !!!

fieldmarshall likes this.
  17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

So not Mick's fault that Murph was sold, but really if your whole strategy depends on one player it's not much of a strategy - he could just as easily have got a long term injury since so many of our players have done under Mick.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  18. Westlake33

I don't think it did him a great deal of favours but sure I get what you're saying there - we desperately needed another big man ISH in. Obvious McGoldrick made of glass / Sears needs the big man up top to play off. Did have Pitman that season but didn't happen for him.

I think we were linked with a move for Washington off QPR around the Murphy time.

Suppose all water under the bridge anyway - season went to rubbish for various reasons and lets hope this goes better.

The other season that strikes me ( no pun intended ) with striking issues being such an issue was 05/06 under Royle.

Poor Royle lost Kuqi / Bent ...... Miller / Davis in the pre season.

Again, we had hardly a pot to piss in and he brought in Parkin + Forster - on paper a decent little and large combination. Of course, Parkin was injured early on and it never really happened for him with us. Forster was better, however quite sicknote and again,,,,, well as a partnership it just sadly didn't happen.

Going into 2016, Royle struck gold with Alan Lee. I remember the 2-0 win at Saints when he scored twice, his first two goals for us. Anyone else that day? One of the best away atmosphere's I've been at. Chants of ' Alan Lee Alan Lee Alan Lee ' lasting for minute upon minute! We must have had over 2500 for a totally meaningless game - at that point...............

We then got Fuller on loan off Southampton - couldn't pay the peanuts they wanted and off he went to Stoke.

One of the most frustrating games I've EVER been to with us was the Wolves 1 us 0 defeat late ish the 05/06 season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005–06_Ipswich_Town_F.C._season

Going into that game, we'd FINALLY got things going to a point. Unbeaten in 8, 5 wins in that sequence...... we went to Wolves on a right run and with a decent chance of being the side to come from nowhere.....

Unfortunately Lee missed the game injured, and Fuller we couldn't get international clearance for! From memory, it was Dean Mc ... Donald uptop....... with the most out of shape massive Adam Proudlock ( shame as had talent, what went wrong !? ) coming on second half.

We absolutely battered Wolves the first 70. They didn't have a kick. Currie / Westlake were absolutely pulling their pants down, we just had absolutely zero uptop so just .... rarely looked like scoring. It was so damn frustrating.....

As you can see by the wiki link, the season just fell to pieces at the end - though didn't realise Forster netted on his final 4 that season.

Cest la vie. Roll on 2018/19.

19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I want the new manager to make sure he does his homework on why Mick was ousted from the club. It had nothing to do with results or league position but all down to style of play, lack of importance in cup matches and using the same players every game regardless of form.
    If the new man comes in armed with this knowledge and does something to rectify it he will be accepted by most supporters.

fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.
  20. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member