1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Shortlist / Suggestions for new manager then

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Agreed Scowey, and that's brilliant news because, Warburton aside, none of those unemployed names appeal to me.

2. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

It just means he doesn’t want to pay anyone an extra few weeks wages.

3. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

What are everyone's thoughts on Shefki getting the job?

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/33538/kuqi-why-i-want-to-be-town-boss

Was an interesting read, with a lot of nostalgia of a better Ipswich Town, but I'm not wholly convinced he is the right man at this moment in time. I just think we need someone with a little more experience of management, but would be supportive of Shefki being involved somehow.

He talks a very good game and there are a lot of quotes which will resonate with fans "I accept there will be defeats but what matters most is the manner in which you lose." Which you could skeptically look at as him saying what we all want to hear as he's not daft and been watching us a lot recently so will know what the main gripes are, but he has applied so we will have to wait and see how that goes

Nuggets and itfcptc like this.
  4. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Much as I loved the guy as a player I would see his appointment as a gamble too far.Perhaps he needs to spend a couple of years managing in a lower English league first to prove himself.

Nuggets likes this.
  5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Shefki with Dyer as assistant would be amazing.

We took a punt on Magilton and let's face it.. he's the best manager we've had in ten years.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  6. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Sod it. We're putting the band back together...

Does anyone know what Resuer and Wilnis are up to these days..

7. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

A definite no from me - you can have all the hunger and desire, but from the sounds of it from the interview, does not have the skills required to manage at this level.
    This quote tells me he's not ready foe us..

"Sadly, in the new season, it got to the stage where I couldn’t continue. I am a loyal, honest guy and I always put the players first. But I got to the stage where I couldn’t sleep at night.

“I had created a great atmosphere within the squad but I knew I had to go. Physically, I couldn’t take it any longer. If I can’t focus 100 per cent on my job then I don’t want to do it."

If he's having problems at a tiny little Finnish club, then what will he be like for us with all the pressure the championship brings?

Thanks, but no thanks - there's no time for sentiment here.

8. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Magilton did very well until he got ££££ - then was quickly out of his depth.

Mick was a much better manager than Jim in my opinion - however Jim played the game a much better way.

No idea how Kuqi + Dyer would do - be an interesting mix ?

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Yeah... how about we just keep the same manager for five years who is so laid back he really doesn't care if we win or lose each week.

Sentiment and passion is EXACTLY what you need on a minuscule budget to get more out of a team than the sum of its parts.

10. Bigalreigned

I don't think it's fair to say Mick lacked passion (see his outburst at the Norwich match!). It's just that all his enthusiasm was for killing off the opposition and not for attacking football!

itfcptc likes this.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Big al... trouble is - because of the budget situation - he knew he had a job however we played just as long as we didn't get into a relegation battle. McCarthy spent his whole tenure making excuses that the owner lapped up. Since he left, the club website and media team have practically been hailing him as a God. Where he did show signs of life (see his outburst at the Norwich match) was when people just didn't buy this version of events and his ego was attacked.

12. Bigalreigned

Agreed:emoticon-0148-yes:

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Unless our owner changes his habits we are now depending on the individual who comes in to have the right make up and be driven.

Even the state of our pitch used to be important, now we have not only not replaced it for many years but we are allowing U23s matches to be played on it. Crap football follows playing on a crap pitch.

Bobby Robson took such great care over every detail of the club. To have any chance of taking this club into the Premier League we need someone who can do more than just manage the team and has that passion.

14. Bigalreigned

It's sad the way the Club appears to being allowed to die a death of a thousand cuts.I was speaking to a Newcastle fan locally who attends PR occasionally and he said he was shocked at how shabby and run down the stadium now appears.

Certainly SBR and the Cobbolds wouldn't have allowed such a state of affairs.

From the interviews he gave when we played Lincoln in the Cup, Danny Cowley gave the impression he was a "detail" man. I just have some doubts about his football philosophy, but maybe that's just pragmatism given the level of player he is used to dealing with.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  15. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I agree that the new manager should have a degree of passion for the club / job and have a proven track record of engaging positively with supporters, but Kuqi is not that person for me. He's not been a success story in Finland and doesn't seem to cope with pressure well, as that interview excerpt highlighted, so how he would fare in a far more competitive, higher quality, and pressurized environment? I have a lot of time for Kuqi, as a player, but the reality is he took two top-flight Finnish teams to 11th in a 12-team division. Those two teams finished 2nd and 4th in the proceeding seasons under different managers. I think the consensus seems to be a younger, more progressive manager from the lower leagues with something to prove and a record of playing entertaining football.

I was a big fan of Magilton when he was manager, as Spanish would testify after our old debates back in the days of the real 606, and we played attractive football under him. However, I'd argue Mick will be judged the better manager on account of making the play-offs, more top half finishes, and the context of working under a tighter budget.

stretchyboy likes this.
  16. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Have you taken leave of your senses!! <yikes>

17. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Who would be your first choice Warky?

If I remember rightly you were very pro Mick before he was appointed. I'd be interested to hear who tops everyone's wish list at this stage as I'm sure the majority, (though hopefully not everyone) will be disappointed.

If I was picking, I'd get either of Hurst, Clarke or Jones (probably Clarke just about edging it for me)

Nuggets likes this.
  18. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Mick was the best man for the job given the complete mess we were in at the time and for the first half of his tenure he did an amazing job considering the severe financial restrictions that he was under. The 2014/15 season was just fantastic BUT BUT BUT... his negative tactics and style of play coupled with his belligerent manner in the end was ultimately his undoing. I turned anti Mick about 2 years ago after we sold Murphy without any replacement! He destroyed Sears by playing him constantly out of position and his complete failure in providing any creativity in Midfield and playing Chambers at Right Back are examples of his ineptitude in my opinion. I am glad to see the back of him and I still laugh even now at the comments from all the has been Pundits outside the club all coming out of the woodwork to chorus the "Careful what you wish for..." bollox!

I would go for Jaap Stam or that other Dutch bloke that we have been linked with! They would both bring some much needed style and purpose and they both believe in the style of play that we were once rightly famous for. Just my two penneth of course!

19. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Warky - i think for one of the first times (that i can remember) i echo everything you say in your last post. Mick was the right man for the job at the time. He stabilised us, and got us into the play offs within two years. I've always said he's only good for 2-3 years max at any club, ad his best before date expired two years ago.
    I also want either Stam or Steijn to be our next manager - both at a good age, both play good football, both will be eager/hungry to prove themselves.
    And from what i know of them, both conduct themselves in a good manner

20. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Reuser is The Dutch U16 coach and should be top of the list imo.