1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Shortlist / Suggestions for new manager then

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

“Private jet to Dubai for a Mr Evans!”

2. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Completely underwhelmed by this to be honest.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I have a good feeling and my gut is usually right.

Spanish - Rotherham have a Championship squad. I was far from blown away by the Shrews playing staff on the ball but tactically they gave themselves a chance. They made zero mistakes. Town have played wide open in too many games and gave away so many cheap goals. The game at the weekend didnt show what Hurst's teams are capable of attacking from open play but defensively and on set pieces they were spot on.

Nuggets likes this.
  4. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

,defensively I thought they struggled, especially with set pieces, Wood caused them so many problems.
    Not convinced but the guy has my backing 100% and I hope he succeeds, anything is better than the last clown!

5. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I think he ticks enough boxes to be welcomed whole heartedly if it gets to the line.

itfcptc, Bigalreigned and Nuggets like this.
  6. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

So, Hurst was a lot of fans' favourite and #1 target, a young, up and coming hungry manager from the lower leagues. So, he loses one game over the weekend, playing a system that wasn't too pleasing on the eye, and now a lot are under-whelmed and not liking his style of play - gotta love a fickle football fan LOL

Nuggets and Bigalreigned like this.
  7. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

If true I don't see how we could have done an awful lot better to be honest ?

His record -

Ilkeston Town (joint with Rob Scott) 15 January 2009 14 May 2009 29 18 6 5 62.1
    Boston United (joint with Rob Scott)[39][40] 14 May 2009 23 March 2011 75 45 16 14 60.0
    Grimsby Town (joint with Rob Scott) 23 March 2011 19 September 2013 132 59 38 35 44.7
    Grimsby Town 19 September 2013 24 October 2016 182 90 46 46 49.5
    Shrewsbury Town 24 October 2016 Present 97 47 23 27 48.5
    Total 514 258 129 127 50.2

514 games played, 50.2% win record. Absolutely ridiculous. Column on the right is his win %%%% for each job.

Shrewsbury's budget was tiny and they were according to the bookmakers second favourites for relegation. He's worked absolute wonders there on a club with a bottom 6 budget.

Can't really comment on style of play, but given the budget at Shrewsbury it's hardly likely to be liquid football.

If this doesn't go well, I really don't see what on earth we'd do for the next appointment - however that's for another day.

Just hope it goes through :)

Paul Hurst's barmy army sounds good to me.

itfcptc and Nuggets like this.
  8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Exactly stretchy. Having watched all three play off finals, Shrews kept it tight and acquitted themselves far better than Villa (who didn't turn up for most of their game) or Exeter (who were played off the park). We know that Shrews had a tough couple of months and had a weaker XI on the field so in terms of judging Hurst on what he could achieve at Town you have to make allowances for the level and look at the shape and the focus, both of which Town have been desperately lacking under Mick.

If we do go the lower league route Hurst is by far the best option open to us and I'll be very pleased with this appointment if we manage to close the deal.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Westlake that win % would have been even higher if they hadn't been blighted by injuries toward the end of the season. I haven't watched them before the weekend so I don't know about their football but you don't get to 87 points in League One without having something about you.

Westlake33 and ostlan like this.
  10. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Not fickle stretchy, I never said I wanted Hurst in the first place but have said anything is better than MM.
    Had I said I wanted Hurst and then, after one game, said that I didn't rate him.....then that is fickle.
    Facts and straight come to mind here!

Only seen Shrews twice but both gamed I wasn't impressed, that's all I have had to go on and therefore, that's what I judged my opinion on.

Tbh, I don't give a ****, I'm just glad the arrogant dino has gone!

11. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Yeah, if the Hurst move happens I would be very happy as he has a history of success and is an example of a young, forward-thinking coach with a strong CV. As people have mentioned, getting Shrewsbury to the Play Off final on their budget and against their pre-season predictions of relegation, is an impressive achievement.

I think his sides are undeniably well-disciplined, but crucially, they are pragmatic. He is capable, and willing, to grind out results against the bigger, more fancied teams (similar to McCarthy), but Hurst's difference is that he is more willing and open to encourage his teams to attack weaker or out-of-form sides, particularly in home games.

12. ostlan

ostlan Active Member

Personally I hope we get PH (See...I've initialled him already) as apparently the next favorite after him is Tim Sherwood!!!!!!! <wah><wah><wah>

13. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

The most obvious and sensible appointment we could possibly make.. And given our circumstances getting the League 1 manager of the year is very much a coup for Ipswich Town. It is also the first manager we have appointed who is currently in employment since Burley (everyone else had been out of work)

A lot of people have been suckered into the 'Jack Ross Propaganda bandwagon' and have to I admit I was drawn in and was gutted when I heard Sunderland got him

But Hurst is a similar age (2 years older) but has far far more experience and most importantly experience in L1, which is far more valuable to us in the championship as the likes of Chris Wilder, Neil Harris in the past couple of years show that success in L1 can be directly translated into success at Championship level (others include Dean Smith, Lambert and Rowett)

14. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

The acid test will be how much Evans will back him.

ostlan likes this.
  15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I don't think he will have a lot of cash Mister Plum and presumably that's why Lamps decided to look at Derby instead.

I've never said we need to really splash the cash, we need someone who can get the best out of free transfers and low fees and wages. I think Evans will invest cash when he has evidence it will take us into the top flight but he might surprise everyone and give Hurst a few million to spend in the summer. I think it would give everyone a boost if he did.

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

What other options do we have Spanish? Excited or not I think if we didn't get Hurst (and we didn't go for Burley again) we would really be scraping the barrel after that.

ostlan likes this.
  17. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I think 1 of the reasons we’ve gone for hurst is that he knows league 1 and might be able to bring in players that he believes are championship level for a minimal outlay. Personally, I don’t remember the last time I watched a league 1 game but hopefully there are some hidden gems that he may know about

ostlan and fieldmarshall like this.
  18. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Wenger was available...

19. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Zidane has just resigned from Real.....if only we'd been more patient!!

20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Bloody hell, didn't see that coming.