1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Short not to blame!

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by smithy in nl, Aug 16, 2015.

1. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

Says dick..

www.skysports.com/football/news/11695/9952402/dick-advoccat-says-sunderlands-chairman-isnt-to-blame-for-form

Sunderland manager Dick Advocaat insists the club’s fans can’t blame chairman Ellis Short for the side’s poor start to the season.

After last week’s 4-2 defeat at Leicester, they lost again on Saturday as they were beaten 3-1 by Norwich at the Stadium of Light.

Many home supporters raised their voices in a chorus of ‘Are you watching, Ellis Short?’ as they vented their frustration at a lack of significant spending on Wearside this summer.

Sunderland have still invested £15m in four new players so far but that’s a relatively modest sum compared to many of their Premier League rivals.

Dutchman Advocaat has been frustrated himself by a lack of movement on the transfer front since he committed to the club for one more season.

But he maintains Short is not the man to complain at about results and said: “With all respect, you cannot blame the president for this. Of course not.

“I have to blame myself, the players have to blame themselves and we have to find out if we can find a solution.”

2. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

That's fine for the start of this season. But what about the last, the one before that and so on.

The chronic last of investment over those transfer windows.

The frustration with short has been building for ages and the shambles this season has only added to that.

3. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That last sentence is what worries me most.

4. smithy in nl

I agree we need to strengthen some more, but this massive over reaction from the media etc is a bit much..

Where only two games in and still have have the chance to get some very good players in..

Deleted likes this.
  5. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

I haven't seen a massive over-reaction in the media. Just honest assessments of a club in crisis.

6. smithy in nl

Two games is not a crisis!!

marcusblackcat and Deleted like this.
  7. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

4 consistently bad seasons, an appalling summer preparation AND 2 games

8. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Don't agree that the past 4 seasons should have any reflection on this season, Blunham. Different managers and different DOF in some of them.

smithy in nl likes this.
  9. smithy in nl

Yes we've been bad but that's in the past.

The present season is two games old and were as good as down in every report I've seen.. IMO it's a massive over reaction..

10. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

smithy I usually come onto your boards and say that I think everything will be fine and this season is no different. I still think that despite the results your actual first team isn't one of the three worst in the league. However it is probably in the bottom 6-7 first teams in the league and if they are out of form, low on morale or simply not performing then it makes the season tough. It isn't just the results it is the manner of them, they could have been by bigger margins and the opponents are ones expected to struggle.

One or two signings, a win against Swansea OR Villa and you'll be up a handful of places and the papers will be talking about another "Crisis Club" - given our opening fixtures probably us!! (I can't see Newcastle getting more than about 5 points from our opening 10 games...)

smithy in nl likes this.

11. grimsby mackem

grimsby mackem Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is blaming short for the 2 games that we've played so far but for the general state of the club and in particular how weak the squad seems to be.

concrete tony likes this.
  12. smithy in nl

I agree with you mate, but an away game to a decent home side they won 6 of the last home matches or something last season and have strengthened, and a home game to a newly promoted team (always play well the first few games) if the window was closed now I would be ****ting myself but it's not.

We've still got time to get some more quality in and I'm sure there trying hard to do just that.

13. Deleted #

Just throw in the towel now Smithy, we are already relegated, not signing any more players and are going to get beat every game we go into. What's the point in us turning up for the remaining 36 games when we know the outcome is relegation?

Forget about the fact there's over 2 weeks left of the transfer window, the club who have give us premier league football for the longest run in our lifetime, don't deserve anything else <ok>

14. smithy in nl

And watmore looked quality when he came in!! Keeps on performing like that and dicks Gona have to start him.

MrRAWhite and Deleted like this.
  15. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

But isn't all the manager changes every season a sign of a club with no sense of direction?

16. Deleted #

I prefer trial and error, Rome wasn't built in a day. I can see gradual improvement, doesn't look like it now but when I still look at the signings we have brought in, they are better than what we have and a different calibre to what we are used to going after. We aren't plumping for household names with the big reputation, we are finding players on the continent at a good age with plenty of ability, players that have something to prove in the premier league. We are getting it right with Congerton and DA, I just pray we can get another 2-3 first team players and kick on. This club will be alright, if we survive this season and Congerton has another 12 months.

Just my opinion.

17. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

Yeh, well you can take your ****ing opinion and keep bringing it every ****ing day yer twat and stop talking about banning yourself!!! <ok>

18. bonnybobbypark

bonnybobbypark Well-Known Member

Keeps on performing like that and Ellis is gonna sell him

smithy in nl likes this.
  19. newbottle bank

newbottle bank Active Member

that's where I disagree with you...........no "very good player" will come to Sunderland.

20. smithy in nl

Lens!!!

Deleted likes this.