1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sherwood and the future

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Roo, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...enhams-players-he-is-planning-summer-clearout

Transfer news: Tim Sherwood warns Tottenham's players he is planning summer clearout

Tim Sherwood admits Tottenham's squad are playing for their futures at the club following his scathing assessment of Saturday's defeat at Chelsea.

Sherwood could not contain his frustations after Spurs suffered a 4-0 Premier League humbling at Stamford Bridge, suggesting that his players are too 'nice' and will easily forget the result.

Spurs are preparing for Thursday night's Europa League last-16 tie at home to Benfica, which will be followed by the visit of north London rivals Arsenal on Sunday.

Another defeat to a capital club would further test the patience of Tottenham's fans and Sherwood has warned his players to demonstrate their desire to stay at White Hart Lane - or risk being offloaded in the summer

"There are a lot of players here now who are playing for their future and I think they realise that. I will have a good look at the whole squad and see who I need to keep and who I need to bring in," said Sherwood.

"I want players here who want to play for the club and they've got until the end of the season to show they are playing for the club and not for themselves.

"I don't think at any football club, a player should be doing a club a favour by playing for them. You'll see a lot of players all over the world, sometimes they think they've outgrown the football club, but people pay a lot of money to watch their clubs and it's in their blood and players owe to them to perform 100 percent for the shirt."

I think it's fair to say, judging by the video and these comments, that Sherwood has created a new divide amongst the squad.

Whilst it's nice for fans to hear the "right" comments he makes (which don't wash with me) it's concerning that he's only been in the job a few months and he's throwing his weight around quite a bit. AVB supposedly had issues with certain players such as BAE and Adebayor, but Sherwood seems to have created a whole new bunch of problems,which personally, I find slightly worrying as things were fragile enough before he took over.
    The dressing room was clearly in a right state prior to AVB's departure and IMO the person coming in (in this case Sherwood) should have done something to resurrect that. - perhaps the "arm round the shoulder" treatment that 'Arry is known to be good at, might have been more helpful.
    Ok, we had the honeymoon period that all clubs get for a while when there's a change of management (due to players wanting to impress), but over the course of Sherwood's reign things seem to be turning nasty, with evidence shown in his recent press conferences, where he's publicly slated members of the squad, when we've still got 1/4 of the season left, plus a European competition to deal with. - What good does this do us?!

I also find it quite alarming that he's the one planning for the future. Do we really want someone like this? - Only a short period in charge and he's causing more unrest behind the scenes, but saying the things the fans want to hear to counter balance the on going issues. - sorry mate, I can read you like a book.

I've said it before, but I can't help but think he's got a hidden agenda and he's poisonous. I don't think he wants Baldini anywhere near the club, as he sees him as someone who can interfere with his overall plan. I also feel that he tries to subtly make Baldini look like a mug with his team selections, as if to say "you've signed us a shower of ****e which is no better than what we already have", in order to make levy think money has been wasted and he's incompetent. the result? - Baldini goes, which helps Sherwood plan his next move.

As I mentioned, he's only had 3 months in the hot seat. Imagine this for another 15 months?!

To be honest, I can't stand him. Whilst other fans seem to love the "honest" comments", I smell a rat with him. I find him false and I think he's conniving.

We needed someone to sort the dressing room out at a critical time, not cause more unrest. I wasn't AVB's biggest fan, but when there were problems, everyone got on his back. But with Sherwood, he seems to get away with it and everyone seems to back him because he blurts out "passion" and says it "how it is". - Sorry, but it's not doing us any good, IMO.
    We cannot afford more wholesale changes with Sherwood thinking he's on a PC, playing football manager 2014. We know this doesn't work.
    This is reality, and in just 3 months in charge, we've got someone spouting all sorts to the public.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all our players are like angels with halo's shining brightly over their heads, but we have to consider it from their point of view too, and why they might be a tad miffed. They didn't sign up to this mess and the last thing the squad needed after AVB's sacking was someone who publicly slates them and has his favourites.

I'm sure many of you will disagree and probably be satisfied with the comments you've heard in the interviews, but I just don't like what appears to be a gradual decline in the atmosphere in the team at the moment, which I feel Sherwood isn't helping, to say the least.

2. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

While AVB clearly alienated some players it was clear that some also very much liked him. Bale being the obvious one last season.
    I've not seen any evidence that any of the players like Sherwood or want to fight for him.

3. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I'm mixed on his rhetoric here. While it is somewhat refreshing to hear him say such things it would probably have been more tactile for him to keep that sort of talk in the dressing room and maintain a united front to the media, as they'll kick up a right fuss about this whatever our results are now and it could backfire on both Sherwood and the club hugely. Regarding him taking us forward, it is nigh on impossible IMO to judge how someone will perform over a number of years as a top level football manager on the basis of their first few months in the job, let alone when its his first job in this role. I like some of his ideas and dislike others. If rumours about Louis van Gaal are true and he is all he is talked up to be, then you can't help but feel that someone like him who ostensibly has both what you might call 'European tactical nous' and 'British ballsyness' is too good to pass on if we have the opportunity to bring him in, young developing English coach in place or not.

4. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I wanted AVB gone but never in a million years did I think we would appoint Sherwood as anything more than a caretaker for 2-3 games.

The fact he got the role on a permanent basis was disgusting and the only crumb of comfort for me was thinking he would be gone in the summer and we would get a 'proper' manager in. Now there's a strong possibility that Dim Sherwood will be allowed to stay and ruin our club even more.

What a joke.

5. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Comparing AVB's record to Sherwood this season, on average we scored more, conceded less, had a better win rate and lost less too under AVB.

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Not sure why Sherwood is talking about a clearout when anyone with half a brain knows he'll be the first out the door when the season ends.

7. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

So why are we allowing someone else to do exactly the same thing? wasn't AVB's sacking partly due to dressingroom unrest?

Nor have I, with the exception of a few who always give their all, and the obvious one, Bentaleb. - who probably can't believe his luck.

So true. Excellent point Huddle. Levy won't like that. It's like 'Arry part II.

There was a few of us that thought this appointment wouldn't work. In particular, I remember HIAG making his opinions very clear. Although a lot of us actually thought it would be the results that'd be awful, I think this unrest and bad atmosphere is a lot worse.

8. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

judging by his comments HBIC, will he though?

The other day he was saying how he hadn't spoken to Levy over his future, and today he's saying he's planning a clearout. - which would indicate he knows more about his future?

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

It's been pretty obvious that Sherwood's only there because we're waiting for someone's contract to expire elsewhere, be it Van Gaal or Prandelli (more likely the former than the latter) - which makes Sherwood a repeat of David Pleat in 2003-4.

10. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

It could be that he has already been told he is going in the summer and wants to use the remainder of this season to impress for another manager`s job elsewhere. The comments about planning for next year are probably an attempt to convince the players he is our long term manager.

I think Sherwood was correct with what he said and it needed saying, we have too many players coasting towards a world cup and not pulling their weight (Paulinho springs immediately to mind) and others with bad attitudes (Vertonghen).

I quite like Sherwood , I like how he says it how it is and it appears he takes no ****, but that could be an attempt to cover up his own deficiencies and inexperience. I hope he is given a fair chance (there is no guarantee a fancy European name will make a success of Spurs) but knowing Levy he will be gone in the summer. Sherwood is a good fit for Spurs even though he is inexperienced, all managers have to start somewhere and he knows Spurs inside out.

I just hope Sherwood`s rant has a positive affect on the players and they do not sulk after being told off.

11. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I smell same old, same old. Many posters made up their mind on Sherwood before he had even had his first game. That's called prejudice! There is a lot of that on this forum for example: When we lose a game we will see a lot posters coming on to make their points. These will be the posters who are negative to the current set up. When we win these same posters will go missing. In other words it is clear now that we have the negative set and positive set.

To be fair we do have a number of posters who are more objective and more open to be guided by what is actually happening.

Sherwood has to act as the manager who will be here a long time even if that is not the case. He has to set out the situation as he sees it and unlike Harry he has named no names. This was a particular weakness of Harry that seriously annoyed me, naming players to the public with negative comments, very very poor form for any manager in any walk of life and particularly bad in such a high profile business. Sherwood has not done this, so far, what he has done is critisise the team and I for one think that is wholly justified and bear in mind that we on here have also done this in spades.

This may upset the dressing room say some! Oh dearie me! I would suggest that some need such treatment because some of our performances, not least that at Stamford Bridge have been fragile to say the least. IMO the dressing room not only needs a little upset it needs a ****ing great rocket.

What do you expect? Hello I'm Tim I don't want to be rude but could we have a little more effort please! <yikes> I don't think so do you!

12. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

The question is how long they've been sulking for though, Billy. This might not be the start of it, but more "the final straw", for all we know.

13. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

1. Isn't the forum about opinion? surely there's nothing wrong with anyone making a prediction on whether Sherwood would be a success or failure? it's not prejudice. Personally, I didn't see him getting the results, and to be fair, he's not done too bad. What I don't like, is the fact that the season was messy and he's created more of the same problems.

2. I'm happy to admit that I can be quite negative, although I like to think i'm also realistic. I'm one of the supporters on here whose seen us win **** all since I've supported the club, and haven't enjoyed the success like some of the senior generation. However, I'm also one of the first ones to admit when I'm wrong and hold my hands up.

3. does he really need to name names? haven't actions already spoken louder than words?

4. I sincerely hope you're right. i guess the performances on Thursday and Sunday will give us an idea of whether it's worked or not.

<ok>

14. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

"i guess the performances on Thursday and Sunday will give us an idea of whether it's worked or not."

That is the yardstick that he has made for himself, and by which he will be measured as you said.

15. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Of course the forum is about opinions and you have just had mine. Negative opinion with out fact is in IMO prejudice. You hope I'm right? About what? I have not said I am backing Sherwood. ;)

16. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think that some people having a negative opinion about Sherwood's appointment displayed prejudice, Spurf.
    He had no experience of coaching a first team squad and made some mistakes while in charge of the youth side.
    He wasn't an unknown to us either, as he'd played for us, made appearances on TV and worked at the club in other capacities.

Even if the club had appointed some random guy that nobody had ever heard of and people had reacted negatively to that, then I wouldn't see that as prejudice.
    It's a hard job and giving it to somebody who hasn't done anything similar is very risky.

17. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Yes, the dressing room, or some of it, does need a rocket - but not a public one! Sherwood is playing to the gallery, IMO. If he wants respect from the players, from us the fans, and from even the press, then shut the **** up and do your talking on the pitch!..

18. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Like with his tactics, the mindgames with players is not necessarily wrong but it's very poorly implemented. Maybe this will put a rocket up the player's arses but I suspect it's much more likely to alienate him from the players.

It's a difficult situation he's in as he probably realises he's pretty much got to do the impossible and win the rest of our games for him to have a chance of keeping the job. The sooner this mess is over the better.

19. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

After reading previous posts here's my 2 bob's worth.
    Think I saw on another thread about agents being a problem.
    Remember days before agent power, win,lose draw scenario - win get full pay with win bonus,draw normal pay lose,nothing
    Not saying they shouldn't get paid,but surely if the players know that their weekly is going to be reduced if they don't get a result it would give them incentive to give bit a bit more effort.
    Think Sherwood is alluding to that they get their squllions whether they win or not - a loss doesn't hurt them financially and life goes on.
    Its refreshing to hear a head coach or manager airing his frustrations like that, the fact its out there for all to hear should embarass the players, he doesn't play the media game of rent a quote,some don't like it but Sherwood is a take it or leave it type.

20. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry PL, but that reasoning doesn't really wash with me, as every other manager is up against those same problems.
    It may be an issue within the game, but it's not something that specifically blights Spurs.