1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sheffield Wednesday vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Apr 30, 2019.

1. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Save the best till last

2. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

We finished only 23 points outside of a play off spot rather than 26 :)

UTRs likes this.
  3. mapleranger

mapleranger Well-Known Member

What is this 93rd minute goal, for us - isn't it written that we will always be the ones to give up that 93rd minute goal.

No firm plans until the schedule release June 20 but I hope to see some of you next year

sb_73 likes this.
  4. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

A big (and overlooked imo) positive from the season is that we have weathered our FFP punishment of the January transfer ban. No small feat as it did mean there was no room to strengthen as needed.

Perhaps not a coincidence that other teams kicked on from January and we faded?

In an alternative world we could have easily invested a lot in January considering our position at the December, rolling the dice yet again. Might have paid off, but likely would have just worsened our FFP problem.

5. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

Sadly I think next season is the real test financially, no more parachute payments. Got to pray we pick up some bargains like we did with Luke Freeman.

6. YorkshireHoopster

There are a few out there. Matt Scowen who has been hugely underrated this season because of Maclaren. Eze who we got from Millwall after all. We have the nucleus of a good footballing young side certainly good enough for the Championship when our loanees all return. All we need is to have 2 or 3 experienced pros whose heads don't drop every time we go behind. But clearly it should not be a pre-requisite that the older pros do not need to have played for their country or in the Premier League all their careers to date. We have one more season of financial purgatory to survive and then the owners can invest again, hopefully having learned their lessons.

Yorkshire-Rs likes this.
  7. Yorkshire-Rs

Yorkshire-Rs Well-Known Member

And probably the worst goals to chances ratio of anyone who has ever scored for the Rs

8. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

If you can try and find Rollercoaster Rangers articles on FFP ( on Loft for Words or AKUTRs) This season was always going to be very hard financially and next year without any parachute payments it will be as bad ( but without the transfer embargo punishment) So if we can get through next season by building for the future things could start to look better.

The new manager must understand that we cannot buy big names...we have to buy character ( players like BFG, Scowen, Matty Smith) Players who want to play to the best of their ability/for us. We have flair in our own youngsters, but they are young and with all flair players their heads will drop.

It's going to be difficult I still trust SLF, Hoos, Ramsey, Hall, Penrice.
    I suspect that is the problem with our new manager.... working with those people are a pre requisite of the appointment.
    Tim ( not nice but dim) and Warburton wouldn't, perhaps only Bircham or Ainsworth would work under those conditions..
    Perhaps that is the stumbling block

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

9. Quite Possibly Raving

Why do you say Warburton wouldn't out of interest? Isn't that exactly the model he worked with at Brentford?

10. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

Think we looked bright, and a positive end to teh season was good to see.

Excellent commentary in this clip <laugh>

Roxwell, kiwiqpr, Ranger4ever and 3 others like this.

11. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

with reference to Scowen - hopefully if he stays next year he will pop up with more goals like he did yesterday. Timing was superb!!

12. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

If you read Warburton's Wikipedia entry, there is a quote in there on "wanting to put his fingerprint on the coaching and scouting staff"... resulting in a few people leaving and his coming in. Also he has also been quite successful as a director of football....and so could clash with our DoF.

His need for control does not sit well with the structure we have in place...(SLF, Ramsey, Hall, Penrice)...and remember they will have to be paid off if they leave too... expensive.

We need a first team coach, not a control system.. Sherwood might have accepted it ( but I expect he wanted spending money)...I do not think Warburton would/will.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

13. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain to me why things are going to get better after 2019/20? Surely FFP is a perpetual scheme to ensure the 'big' clubs have an advantage and the limitations on spending vs income are not going away.

WBA2_QPR3 and QPR Oslo like this.
  14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I don’t think things will get better after next season, but the FFP rules do allow you to gamble on getting promoted, they punish you if you fail and have racked up losses of over £39m over 3 seasons. So if you spend £100m in the championship and get promoted in the first season, then another £100m to stay up, succeed but get relegated at the end of the second season in the PL, presumably you are ok, as you will have earned £100m in each of the PL seasons, and will break even over 3 seasons. Unless you give all your expensive new players 5 year contracts at £200k a week of course.

Easy, let’s do it.

15. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

16. Stan Dupp

Stan Dupp Well-Known Member

That is some effing report. Each match I say he can't do better but this is a masterpiece. Not that ever did but I can't take BJ seriously any more.

QPR999 likes this.
  17. N22hoop

N22hoop Well-Known Member

18. YorkshireHoopster

Yes it is both permanent and designed to ensure that the big clubs continue to be big. So we have to live within our means. That means we have to avoid spending as if there is no tomorrow particularly with the fools still in place who got us into this mess in the first place. When the transfer embargo ends we will be able to buy players again - just not the mercenaries we should have steered well clear of in the first place. That is a double positive. Also let's not forget that many clubs as small as ours managed to get promoted without breaking the bank and to stay in the promised land for more than 38 games. Promotion is impossible at the moment. It is not impossible when the shackles are off provided the owners concentrate on talent and players who can play rather than being seduced by the idea that success is easy - you just go out and buy it.

Before anyone points it out I realise that some of the smaller clubs did over-spend in their promotion seasons. But not to the crazy levels we did buying Harry's old boys who had played for him in alternating years at various clubs. Let's not forget that Warnock managed it.
    I would love to know how much Niko Krancjar cost especially as no English clubs other than those managed by HR ever thought he was worth the money spent on him.
    They also adopted a realistic attitude to that debt and in some cases either paid it off or came to arrangements to do so while they were able to.

19. Quite Possibly Raving

With you, thanks. Guess he could still be okay if he was very clear on the role and remit and still happy to accept it, but that is exactly what didn't happen with McClaren so won't pin my hopes on it!!

20. Quite Possibly Raving

Don't thinks get 'easier' after next season as [the working *assumption* is that] we will have trimmed the wage bill to a more sustainable level, meaning that we're not going to be in such a weak position each transfer window. As such, we will be able to wait for a more appropriate offer for the likes of Smithies, Austin, Freeman etc. So the theory goes in any case...