1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sheffield Wednesday v Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Nov 6, 2019.

1. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

Yes, we've been there before.

The point is that Garry Monk may not be the best manager on the planet, but he is certainly not the worst either. He gets a lot of stick on this forum, which baffles me somewhat, as a loyal player and captain. Managing Swansea was his first managerial post. He kept us up and then had a very good season as per my post - 8th place and 56 points. He then had a poor start to the following season and (unsurprisingly?) got sacked.

Yes, I know Swansea finished 6th in 81-82 which is better than 8th, and 69 points is better than 56 (4 more games so a bit skewed). I know that many feel that Monk was partly instrumental in getting Laudrup sacked (allegedly) and isn't flavour of the month. I know many on here feel that Monk started the decline in the passing game.

But you can't change the league table for 2014/15 when Monk was manager for the entire season. Well done for achieving that, even if you do think he was doing it on the back of his predecessors work.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  2. Victor

Victor Well-Known Member

I lost all respect for Monk when he said that he did not want the Swans to be promoted under Sousa as manager.
    I am almost sure that he said that in his book, ..... please correct me if I am wrong. ... bot he did say that he was glad.

3. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Yes he did page 118 of his autobiography. and I quote " he did not deserve to be the one to take us to the Premiership.He had not earned that right"

4. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Never said he was the worst but a "legend " not in my eyes. Theres so much you've posted above which makes Monks contribution seem so insignificant compared to Toshack that I I can't see the point you're trying to make , We'll just have to agree to disagree

neveroffsidereff likes this.
  5. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

I always thought Sousa did a good job for us. Shoared up our defence a treat, all he needed was Huw to back him with a forward in the January transfer window as requested, then we could have pushed for promotion. Monk was bitter as Sousa didn’t rate him, but what would a two time champions league player know. :)

6. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

At the end of season dinner, it was noticeable that Huw thanked (literally) everyone but Sousa...... <doh>

7. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

<laugh>.....................nice one.............<ok>

8. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Huw and Monk had it in for Sousa, Monk being Huw's snitch in the dressing room, Sousa stood a lonely figure when his request to bring in a £500,000 loan deal in January for a Striker from Portugal was refused, I am convinced that had that been approved we would have gone up that year, instead Huw threw Sousa Trundle, who was well past it, and Sousa sat him on the bench most of that remaining season.