1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sheffield Utd v Leeds Utd

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Nov 28, 2018.

?

Scoreline: Sheffield Utd v Leeds Utd (2 votes each)

Poll closed Dec 1, 2018.
  1. 0-0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-1

30.8%
  3. 2-2 or higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Blades by 1

15.4%
  5. Leeds by 1

38.5%
  6. Blades by 2

7.7%
  7. Leeds by 2

23.1%
  8. Blades by 3 or more

7.7%
  9. Leeds by 3 or more

7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Jammy, Ristac, I think maybe Klich & Forshaw were preferred to Samu for this game as it represented a potential war of attrition in the middle with Duffy, Norwood and Stevens. Over 90 minutes of a pitched battle I think Samu's temperament is a bit suspect.

Forshaw & Klich did the ugly job all day and it worked, they kept them quiet, but at the cost of some of our creativity. I was expecting Samu to get a half hour but with the game so tight I think Bielsa decided to stick father than twist.

Doc, totally agree about Halme, big ask yesterday to keep Sharpe quiet and he stepped up.

2. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

I thought he played really well and looked more composed so I reckon having his debut recently helped there. He wasn't fazed by anything

Farsleyexile and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  3. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Think you've nailed it there, Davy.

I do however have my concerns about Forshaw. His ability is not in doubt, but for me, ever since he started getting game time this season, the wheels may not have come off, but the suspension has got severely buggered, if you see what I mean. He just doesn't seem to fit in properly. I can't put my finger on it, but we just don't seem to operate as well when he plays.

The only obvious thing I've noticed is that he has a habit of dropping right back to pick up the ball. For me, Phillips is perfectly placed & very capable of doing that (indeed anyone at the back), and Forshaw coming back simply reduces the forward passing opportunities by one. There is no advantage to us - indeed it's the opposite. He should be up the park waiting to receive the ball. It makes it so much easier for the opposition to kill our space when he comes back to do someone else's job.

davy, bucks_is_leeds, ristac and 3 others like this.
  4. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Leeds United years ago always seemed to produce a decent centre half. I think with Aapo we may have got another one.

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Serious question folks about Kalvin Phillips. Its his birthday and a tweet from his mum got me thinking. She seemed to hint that Kalvin is a triplet but also said happy birthday to Kalvin and Dee?

Dont want to sound ignorant but the brother of a player was shot and killed in Harehills recently but for some reason I thought it was Tyler Denton’s?

Somebody put me right please

6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Phillips and Batty with the same birthday :afro: 27 years apart and slightly different haircuts but possibly similar players

7. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Spot on WJ.

Last season we had Phillips and Vieria/O'Kane both sitting too deep and square of each other which made us predictable. The coach at the time TC was never brave enough to play the midfield triangle of 3 with 2 in front of the one holding. Under Bielsa we started this season doing exactly that with Phillips pulling the strings behind Siaz and Klich whose movement between the lines was freeing everything up. Now it's only Klich further forward and it makes us much easier to play against.

Not complaining as we are winning but just trying to explain what's been happening for some who maybe only see the highlights of games.

8. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

It was Mallik Wilks's brother and then Mallic made his Leeds debut shortly after in the FA Cup I believe.

9. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

It was Malik Wilk's brother. I thought he must have been a triplet when I saw the tweet but only 2 survived but may be wrongly assuming that

Doc likes this.
  10. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

Posted at the same time yes he came on at Sutton in the FA Cup defeat

Irishshako likes this.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Jamyy/Heidi many thanks, so I saw a photo of 3 babies but as Heidi says it looks like maybe a brother didnt make it for some reason? His sister Dee is the spit of Kalvin but has better hair and Kalvin is obviously part of a close knit family group, fair play to him

FollowMe&LeedsUnited likes this.
  12. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Most of the first half he was hoofing it up the filed sheff were pressing us so not much passing from the back .they seemed to have some room but were soon shut down.

13. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Like this comment very much.

14. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

There’s not as much difference between the tc way and bielsa way that some might think. Tc started structured training re playing the ball out from the back, drawing the striker in and passing round him. He also wanted triangles and short forward passes to pass through teams but struggled to make it happen. It’s possible he didn’t have the courage of his convictions when results started to go south... and he didn’t get on with klich... the one centre midfielder we have who will make forward runs including beyond the last man and give another option. Bielsa also pushes both wingbacks up the pitch creating more outlets and Critically the players probably weren’t fit enough last year either to consistently move in to space when we had possession and press when we didn’t... It’s several small increments not one big thing.

i’ve Made this point probably too many times but it would have taken a very good midfielder to not look bang average under monk and to a lesser extent tc. The net effect of bielsaball is that the man in possession has more options. That makes him more likely to retain possession and make him and his team mates look better players. They get more confident and start to play better too.

The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, everyone has to learn and live the philosophy. Side before self and all that jazz.

15. wasper

wasper Active Member

He is giving the ball too easily

16. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

I'm actually from Sheffield...for those who know the area, a village called Todwick off the A57.

I started supporting Leeds Utd in 1967...a couple of years later Sheff Utd started to rise....the captain was Eddie Calhoun ... his daughter, Karen, was in my class and he lived in a semi on the next street to me.

I had to bear the brunt of all the other kids because I was the only white in the f*****g school.

Beating Sheff Utd is always special to me.

We won the title later that day IIRC>

17. 1964white

1964white Well-Known Member

18. 1964white

I was so overjoyed I even posed for one of your camera shots Heidi

FollowMe&LeedsUnited likes this.
  19. 1964white

Both Klich & Forshaw were defending deeper to protect our defence Richard

ristac likes this.
  20. 1964white