1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sheffield United v Sunderland AFC – Wednesday 17th August 2022 - KO 20:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Aug 15, 2022.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Aug 17, 2022.
  1. Home win

26.0%
  2. Away win (safc)

28.6%
  3. Draw

45.5%
  1. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

I thought that we looked much stronger when he brought on Hume, Wright and Matete
    Agreed. I thought that when we went into a back four we looked stronger. Thought that Matete & Hume did well when they came on. Also O'Nien needs to learn when to slide tackle or tackle, but I can't fault his energy.
    As you said I thought Gooch played a lot better once he was pushed up the field. I think AN should start to think about playing Hume in the RB role. Other than that 5 mins in the first half, buggered us up. We definitely need another CM as we are not competitive in the middle of the park.

Robertson and Saf like this.
  2. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I've just read that he was brilliant against QPR and he was having a great game until he was sent off last night.

3. steesafc

steesafc Well-Known Member

He was in both.

Really odd behaviour when people seemingly don't want a young local lad to come in and do well. I've criticised him for the error, its unfortunate and annoying and costs us the game. He also does lots very well. Previously its been questioned whether he has the physicality, he showed that Saturday and last night. He's bright and moves the ball.

Hes a young lad with about 50 senior games under his belt, he will make mistakes. Definitely got loads of potential though and I'd suggest going and getting your prescription changed if you can't see it.

Blond Bombshell and young2077 like this.
  4. Saf

You've got no right to say that just because you are angry. I doubt there's any Sunderland supporters that want our own to come in and fail.

My prescription has just changed actually. I've gone from fluoxetine to sertraline. Thanks for the concern.

5. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Agree on Alex Neil mate. Good to see him operate last night, some shackles released for me.

His interview afterward was good as well I thought. Nice and balanced. He seemed delighted with how we controlled the game with Dan and Embo deep, and it was what he seemed to want. We are all disappointed in his mistake but at least Alex sees the positives with him as well. On we go, with a manager and players that seem to have each others backs - good to see tbh.

6. steesafc

I'm not angry buddy, I just feel our homegrown lads get criticised more intensely when they make a mistake. Hes a kid, he'll get better. The fans getting on his back will just lead to nerves and anxiety and stunt his development though.

We have a lot of young lads who have played 50 games(ish) or less, we need to be patient with them and not over react when they make an error. I'm not saying thats you, but it seems to be the reaction of a fair portion of the fan base.

7. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

I don't think for one second that Neil is getting more criticism because he's an academy lad.

If Corry Evans had done that last night there'd be people demanding he was instantly sold permanently.

I know personally I don't even consider if a player is an academy lad or not when questioning their decision making, effort or qualities.

Saf likes this.
  8. Saf

I can't speak for the away games but nobody has been on his back in the home games. Only on here are people questioning him. That's fair enough, that's what these boards are for.

He's not a DM, he'll be better off if he is played further up the pitch. The problem he's got then is that place belongs to Pritchard and he's not dislodging him out the team in a million years. I personally think Matete looks better than Dan in the position he's being asked to play, at the moment.

9. steesafc

I've not heard anything at the match. Tbf, I think the majority of reactive crap is posted online. You just hope the players don't really get to see it as it can't be nice to read that about yourself.

Agree that he isn't the man to sit at the base of the midfield, hes an 8 and is more progressive than to play that role. He stepped in last night and for me was doing well up til the red. Matete looked good when he came on, fantastic bit of anticipation to slide in and steal the ball which lead to us scoring. Again, another lad with decent potential but lacking in experience.

The ultimate oxymoron, these young lads don't have bags of experience in playing senior games so will make errors, yet, they'll only get that experience by playing games.

10. WorkyTicketFTM

WorkyTicketFTM Well-Known Member

What? It’s quite the opposite. Matete gets absolutely slated when he’s only started about 10 games yet Neil gets away with murder because he’s a local lad.

We all want him to do well, but I also want to see Sunderland win so I’m not going to pretend he’s playing well just because he’s from the academy. Corry Evans was getting hammered last season because of Dan Neil constantly leaving him exposed, that’s solely down to people watching through red and white glasses.

Saf likes this.

11. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Some young players are more adept than older players tbh ...

... I'm not one to knock players quickly but Neil isn't 'alive' enough at the moment imo.

He seems very introverted and I'd find him frustrating to play with, I'd be unsure when he wanted the ball or what runs he'd be making. He doesn't always get into the position you'd expect.

As for yesterday, if he didn't want the ball what exactly was he doing?

12. ROKER PARK

ROKER PARK Well-Known Member

He made a mistake when the ball seemed to bobble and he didn't control it well enough. Instinct kicked in and he fouled the lad.

Blond Bombshell and clockstander like this.
  13. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

You can't play Hume and Gooch though without making us lop sided or losing one of the centre midfielders?

14. Bazza2310

Bazza2310 Well-Known Member

I am a bit mad aye, I also played football when I was younger so the rule is and always is take one for the team if needed. Even the best teams in the world do it so I mean to call me mad for doing what most players do is a bit of a strange thing to say. There are so many occasions over the years where someone's had their shirt pulled back or worse totally snapped in a one on one but hey if I'm mad then so be it :1980_boogie_down:

15. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

When the pass was played to him Onien went wide clearly expecting to receive the ball next, they have been told to do that its clear. He just cocked it up, next time he finds himself in that position I am sure he wont get caught again. He will learn from it, lets not forget this is only his 2nd 1st team season.
    I personally hate this playing out from the back ****e, we have 2 big lumps up front, hit them 2 then push on up the pitch would be my instructions.

16. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Nice to see we showed a bit of gumption and didn't collapse. Also good to hear that the lads who came on did well. As positive as a defeat can be.

Southern A and clockstander like this.
  17. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

I didn't, I meant either or. If Hume plays then push Gooch to a more forward role.

Chunksafc and clockstander like this.
  18. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-Known Member

Agree with this. I've been unimpressed with Dan Neil so far this season. Seems a bit anonymous. He's clearly got the potential to play so much better than he has done and I hope he does. At the moment I'd be playing Matete ahead of him but I'm sure with the right management, Neil will turn into the player we all think he can be.

19. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

I said it earlier this week but I think we have a very good keeper on our hands in Patterson, he has his faults but his shot stopping is brilliant. He is very agile, lets see what this new goalkeeping coach can do with his decision making, he seems uneasy coming of his line but when he does he tends to clear it well enough. He just tends to come of his line then retreat, not sure if its a confidence thing or he is scared of getting clattered. He is still developing physically and once he fills out and gains more muscle strength he could be our number 1 for a good few years. I like to see a keeper dish out some bollockings and give the defence an earful, he seems to lack the confidence in doing that so I am putting that down to his age and experience.

Saf likes this.
  20. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I was genuinely worried last night when I saw the starting eleven, however before the sending off we were playing brilliantly. It was a brave decision by AN to go down this path so early in the season and against a top team away from home. Then his triple substitution at 2-0 down with only 10 men, including sending on Hume and moving Gooch into a more central attacking role was brilliant. Although this defeat means we have only one point from the last 6 with a fair wind it could easily have been 4 . And with this manager back doing what he does best anything is possible. OaU