1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sheffield United v Sunderland AFC – Wednesday 17th August 2022 - KO 20:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Aug 15, 2022.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Aug 17, 2022.
  1. Home win

26.0%
  2. Away win (safc)

28.6%
  3. Draw

45.5%
  1. Chip

Chip Well-Known Member

AN speaks so well, love listening to him, the polar opposite of Johnson.

2. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

Great post conference from Neil. Speaks great sense. No waffle.

3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I know you weren't mate I didn't mean to suggest you were. Just saying it's canny how good he is at the age he is.

FellTop likes this.
  4. Bazza2310

Bazza2310 Well-Known Member

Ok a lot of people jumping on Dan Neil, yes it was his mistake and got caught out however the blame lies with Batth. So against Coventry he did exactly the same gave the ball to Neil who got caught out but we got away with it that time. Unfortunately this time we didn't get away with it Neil did what anyone would have done and tugged the shirt. For having a lot of experience Batth really doesn't read the pitch very well. The keeper was the pass that was on not someone who is under pressure.

5. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Have a Melissa reddy to cheer us up

BF35A212-2CE3-4965-BF62-023A70699347.jpeg

Gordon Armstrong and Chunksafc like this.
  6. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Top bloke good interview, could listen to him all night

7. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I'd love to love Dan Neil, nowt better than a classy local lad ...

... I just can't get on with his permanent twisty face.

8. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

<doh>

ISOE II and clockstander like this.
  9. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

Not sure we can blame Batth for the pass mind the sheff utd player was 10 yards off Neil when he gave it to him. Neil just had a monumentally bad touch and let the player nip in. Neil should have just given it back to Batth or Patterson first time but I honestly don't know what he tried to do. Compounded it by dragging the lad back but I get its a natural reaction from a split second decision. Don't think the lad would have scored from where he was which makes it all the more frustrating.

Saf likes this.
  10. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

?

11. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

12. Bazza2310

Bazza2310 Well-Known Member

It is just my opinion, it is the second time he has done it this season though always look for the safer pass. It has been on both times. I think we played really well having said that 11 vs 11 I think we would have took something.

13. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Yeah that's 100% on Dan. He had space and time but his control was poor and allowed McAtee to breakaway.

RTB likes this.
  14. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

hmm, will have to take another look at it but i saw dan facing his own goal so an easy pass back to patto to clear was 'the ball' for me, instead he tried to feint going one way but judged the ball wrong, maybe the bounce or the spin and that is what allowed their lad to get the ball...yes he made another mistake but he really needs to start to learn from them, it was not his only one.

EDIT: seen a replay and stick by what i said, he tried to be clever and actually caught himself out as the ball hit his knee...not the place to try a trick, take the easy pass and get the lines cleared.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Robertson and Bazza2310 like this.
  15. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

16. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

First time ball back to Patterson and then he goes one more to O’Nien… never mind :emoticon-0101-sadsm

Robertson likes this.
  17. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Another learning curve tonight
    Cut out Sloppy balls / touches
    Deal with crosses into box
    Buy some more players

Concern is how much our squad is thinning out, but loving the way we are playing

18. TeamOfTalents

TeamOfTalents Well-Known Member

Sounds like Evans will be out weekend from that interview

Smug in Boots likes this.
  19. Random lad

Random lad Well-Known Member

Are you ******** mad, I would not have tugged his shirt, it was a stupid thing to do, quite simply cost us the game
    Also , lots of players would not have fouled , they would have trusted their keeper, it would have been a one on one

Smug in Boots likes this.
  20. steesafc

steesafc Well-Known Member

Posted this over the road, little cut and paste for my view of it for here too.

We were the better side after half an hour, they were sloppy and offered nothing going forward. Our press was tremendous and we kept forcing the errors. The ball was sticking really nicely up front with Stewart and Simms and I was convinced we could win the game.

The sending off is the turning point. No qualms with Dan Neil, he'd been excellent up until that point (loved the physicality btw, proper getting stuck in!). Its an unfortunate first touch that ricochets up off his standing leg and wrong foots him. Their lad steals in and the second he feels the arm he goes down. Ref couldn't wait to get the red out, that kind of set the tone with him.

Then we concede off the corner almost immediately after, poor marking but its a decent header.

Second half they start quick and the second goal is quality, we get picked off on the overlap. I have to say it took facing 10 men for them to produce any bits of quality in the game.

We get one back (what a finish Goochy), great ball from Stewart and fantastic tenacity in the middle by Matete to win us possession. By heck did they wobble after that, 10 men away from home and we were right amongst them. Their subs calmed it down again and they started to get chances, some excellent saves from Patto and it began to look like we'd maybe only get one more opportunity.

The ref? He got the red right, albeit the card was out immediately. After that, what a f***ing tosspot. So many times he'd ignore a foul on us (mostly Ross Stewart) and then blow for a similar infringement on them seconds later and produce a yellow card. All laughy and jokey towards the end, he enjoyed the spotlight.

Sheff Utd? Massively underwhelmed. I'd anticipated it'd be a difficult game but 11v11 they were so incredibly ordinary, we were on top. Even with the extra man it had the feeling that they made a bit of a meal of it, summed up by the nervous noises from the home crowd when 7 mins went up. I'll add - some of these Championship sides wouldn't cope with the ****housery in League One, they seemed soft as ****e tonight and we were billed as big, bad Sunderland making loads of fouls.

I'll finish by saying I'm incredibly proud. Nobody packed in, we kept going, kept fighting and looked as though we might knick a point. The result is disappointing (moreso given how it looked after half an hour) and I'm gutted for Dan Neil, but we're a young team still learning lessons at this level. We knocked the ball around fantastically well at times and with a few additions we won't be going down.