1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sheff Wed v QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Aug 12, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

MATCHDAY Two in the Sky Bet Championship sees Rangers head to Hillsborough to take on Sheffield Wednesday.

The Owls finished fourth last season but were beaten in the play-off semi-final by Huddersfield Town and got off to a poor start to this campaign going down 1-0 to Preston North End.

But that defeat is unlikely to worry manager Carlos Carvalhal too much as the Portuguese is one of the calmest managers in the division and knows that last year they only won one of their opening five league games. Ever since the former Beşiktaş manager walked through the door at Hillsborough the club has progressed to become one of the most consistent in the Championship.

In the last two years Sheffield Wednesday have finished in the top six, playing a pragmatic style of football that has gained many plaudits. If there’s been one criticism of the blue side of Sheffield it’s that they have twice failed to get over the final hurdle when Premier League football was within touching distance.

The Owls are blessed with a wide range of attacking options; you’ll be pushed hard to find four better strikers in the Championship than Steven Fletcher, Fernando Forrestieri, Gary Hooper and Jordan Rhodes but they are also very hardworking in midfield and defensively stable. Despite the undoubted attacking talent they possesses, it was actually their defence that provided the main strength of their team last season with only promoted clubs Newcastle and Brighton conceding less league goals.

They’ve only made one addition to the side so far this summer with George Boyd arriving from Burnley and the winger made his debut for the club in Saturday’s defeat at Preston North End.

They were disappointing at Deepdale last weekend but bounced back well in the Carabao Cup midweek defeating Chesterfield 4-1 despite going a goal behind in the first half.

Ian Holloway and his QPR side will be more than pleased with how the season has begun. After a convincing 2-0 victory over Reading in the league a much changed R’s side overcame a resilient Northampton team 1-0 in the Carabao Cup thanks to Yeni Ngbakoto’s close range finish.

Ollie will have been impressed with what he’s seen in both games but knows there’s still plenty of hard work to go come Saturday. However, the early signs are very positive with his players in great physical shape and implementing the pressing game expertly against the Royals last week.

Sheffield Wednesday did the double over Rangers last season and it’s been almost eight years since the R’s tasted victory at Hillsborough.

When and Where
    Saturday 12th August, Hillsborough, 3pm kick-off.

Last Time Out
    QPR 1-2 Sheffield Wednesday

This ended up being a crucial victory for Sheffield Wednesday in their quest to finish in the top six last season. The game took place on Easter Monday in April and the Owls took an early lead through Adam Reach’s fine finish. Rangers quickly equalised when Idrissa Sylla bundled the ball over the line but Sheffield Wednesday restored their lead midway through first half with a Daniel Pudil header. The second half was a tense affair, the R's heavily pinned Wednesday back but couldn’t force an equaliser.

Team News
    Grant Hall (knee) and Jordan Cousins (hamstring) remain side-lined for the Hoops. Idrissa Sylla (head) is unavailable after taking a blow to the head against Northampton but Matt Smith (head) is OK despite requiring six stitches to his face in the same match. Holloway confirmed that Steven Caulker won't be considered whilst he continues to regain full match fitness.

Wednesday have no real injury problems to report. Striker Steven Fletcher is available despite a slight knock whilst Liam Palmer has resumed training.

Stats

• QPR’s head-to-head record reads: W20, D16, L30
    • 3 - Number of goals Rangers have scored in the last five matches at Hillsborough
    • 11- Number of games since Sheffield Wednesday have lost two games in a row
    QPR: Opta’s QPR supporting Jack Supple says: “Conor Washington has scored a Championship goal every 187 minutes in 2017 (seven goals), compared with one every 946 minutes in 2016 (two goals). QPR are winless in their last seven league visits to Yorkshire (D3 L4), since a 3-0 win at Rotherham in January 2016. QPR have won once in their last ten away league games (D2 L7) and are seven without a win on the road. Rangers have lost their last five away games in league competition and they’ve not suffered six consecutive defeats in the second tier or below since February 2007 (seven in a row). The R’s have won seven of their last ten Championship games played in August (W7 D1 L2).

Manager's View Point

Ian Holloway: "I think Sheffield Wednesday away from home is going to be one of the toughest fixtures anybody could have this season. They have got a lot of expectation there now after how well they have done in the last two seasons. They do believe their club is on the rise, and that can bring its own pressure. We’ll go there and look to do what we do well, and that’s get in people’s faces, disrupt the way they play, and look to break off of that. Let’s have a look and see what we can do against a very competent, growing, Championship-challenging team."

Carlos Carvalhal: "This is the most important thing to me, the game tomorrow. We didn’t start well in the first game but did the complete opposite performance in the cup. With a very high level we gave a good answer and my expectation and challenge to the players is to continue what we did in the cup game. I am happy with the players I have and it is these players we must give confidence to, to achieve a good result tomorrow.”

Referee
    Christopher Kavanagh: Takes charge of his first game this season.

2. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Cheers Nines...but no birds?

Interesting the comment about Caulker not being in consideration even when Hall is out; not even on the bench?

kiwiqpr likes this.
  3. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Credit to Holloway on that decision. He's telling Caulker not to expect to just walk back into the team; while showing the rest of the defence they can hold their place in the team if they perform well - or at least I hope that's his message.

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Wednesday have an outrageously strong attack for the Championship.

5. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I like the word disgustingly.

sb_73 likes this.
  6. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Great photograph that, Nines. Not a man without a cap, and none brave enough to invite his girlfriend!

mapleranger, igor60 and QPR999 like this.
  7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Here's a photo of QPR fans away at Brighton, Christmas 1920. I can spot one without a hat and a couple of women though. Obviously more progressive than Sheff Weds back in them days.

GoldhawkRoad and Stroller like this.
  8. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I've run out of material Ubes. Searching around the internet for QPR lasses takes longer than composing the actual thread. I don't have the stomach for looking for another 48 unique girls. I doubt that such a thing exists without posting duplicates.

Uber_Hoop and kiwiqpr like this.
  9. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

I'm down with duplicates, just call them The Best of or 9's Greatest Hits (or should that be Tits).

kiwiqpr likes this.
  10. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Clearly our fans were not misogynistic - I hope this photo satisfies Uber's request for a couple of birds

QPR999 and Uber_Hoop like this.

11. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

SSN and Beeb both saying caulker in contention. Wonder if Ollie can resist putting Baptiste in?

12. Eamon Holmes

Eamon Holmes Well-Known Member

13. barley_hoop

barley_hoop Well-Known Member

Just for research purposes I typed in QPR Girls into google and got rather a lot ... seems to be a category for everyone as well

upload_2017-8-12_11-43-22.png

Uber_Hoop and kiwiqpr like this.
  14. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Can't imagine anything worse than looking at that Stacey bird all year

Wherever, Uber_Hoop and Steelmonkey like this.
  15. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Unchanged team from reading, good he's learning.

16. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

No changes from first game. As it should be.

17. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I'm the first to agree that Ollie shouldn't change the team around like the end of last year, but I would really prefer to see at least one of Babtiste or Caulker for either Lynch or Perch and preferably, long term, both.

18. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I can see the Wed forward line running riot with our three CBs.

19. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Same team as last week! Although, quite a different Judy.

20. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

They've got 4 good forwards & will only play 2 thank Christ, lets see how we go Col