1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Sheds

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Amin Yapusi, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Asterix

Asterix Well-Known Member

Wilshire Road council tip will take it. Dismantling is not a problem, the sheets prise away from timbers if you work a bit at a time. Each sheet must be wrapped in heavy duty plastic and sealed.

Ironic that the attendant will be clad head to toe in a full body suit and full face mask, from Arco. They made a fortune making the stuff, and continue making money from protective equipment to get rid of it.

2. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

My mum had a 1960's garage in her garden which looked like asbestos. We had it tested at a lab behind Home Bargains in Boulevard, it was cement board.

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  3. Anal Frank Fingers

Anal Frank Fingers Well-Known Member

As far as a new garage is concerned, last one I bought was a 20 x 20. Bought through that Newstar place off Bev Road but was supplied and built by Lidgett in Leeds. Was up in a few hours, including doors and guttering.

Cost me about 4k. Maybe £500 for someone to demolish and dispose of old garage? Can't really remember. Concrete base didn't need replacing.

BlackAndAmberGambler likes this.
  4. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Asbestos removal costs ££££

I dug a load up in my garden and we got someone round to quote. 4 figures to get rid of little enough that it would probably fit in a black bin bag.

Find a nice spot on your garden and bury it.

5. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

**** that I'll just be taking a lot of trips into the East Riding countryside bob.

6. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

There's a lot of over the top scare stories about asbestos and corrugated asbest cement roof tiles. Generally, those that get/got asbestosis were smoking whilst working in concentrated clouds of it, over a period of months to years. Asbest itself, we've all been exposed to it as it exists in nature, its in the water course and a low level in the air.

As long as you're not cutting it or breaking it, you just wear a 3m PPE mask and some old overalls and can remove it yourself on a rainy day, put it on a pallet on a trailer. covered twice in thick building plastic sheets. Then before you seal it, chuck in the mask and overalls.. Then shower. Don't council depots in the UK accept it like this for free still? They used to in the early 1990s. Youll pay a lot for a professional company to do it, but as everything it depends on budget and what you're willing to spend.

Regarding putting foundation feet on soil. Over a period of years, the soil will absorb water and so contract and expand depending on the weather.. So the build will move. You may get away with it, you may not. Rather than take the risk, just scrape away the soil where the feet are going and use B30 cement under to adjust all the heights so they're the same. If you're putting all the time and money in, for a day's work and a couple of bags of cement to set the heights, its not worth cutting corners.

7. Amin Yapusi

There is a concrete slab there already. I’ve bought those foot blocks to build the base off, the problem is the top surface of the slab is quite rough uneven and ****ty, so I just need to get a nice flat top surface for those blocks to sit on.

There are 22 of them going in an L shaped grid, I feel like it would be too easy to get it wrong with cement trying to get them all set in the perfect spot, aligned and level to each other.

8. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

**** me, I've ignored this clown for long enough on here but please don't anyone follow this advice!

If you want asbestos removing contact a competent contractor.

Listening to Himmler is not a good move, believe me! <laugh><laugh><laugh>

9. Heimdallr

Just use a long (1,5m) spirit level. Start with one foot, fix a base height and then use dryish cement under the remaining 21, leave overnight to dry.

10. Heimdallr

Rubbish. Asbestos plates if not damaged, are perfectly safe to move.

11. Amin Yapusi

When I was a youngun we made a skateboard ramp on the asbestos roof of a disused building.

Went through it several times.

Back in those days 30 seemed old and more than long enough to live.

12. Heimdallr

13. Ernie Shackleton

Aye, by people who know what they're doing, Marra.

I've left more asbestos in place because it's safer than moving it, than shifting it. The moment you want to shift it, for ****s sake get someone in who knows what they're doing.

14. Amin Yapusi

They are the decking blocks with the cross pockets for the wood to sit in, so they need to be aligned and in place perfectly before setting.

On the flip side I have no flat or level area to build the base until those blocks are in place. I was hoping to use them as a jig. Maybe I could set them on soil or sand, build the base and get everything tip top, then go and pour cement around them after?

15. Heimdallr

Talking about the corrugated cement bonded plates... That make roof tiles and garages. It's safe to move as long as not cutting it with power tools. It's not the same as an asbest lagged pipe.

16. Ernie Shackleton

Yep. Asbestos & power tools, not a good combination.

Can't fault you there.

17. Heimdallr

18. Ernie Shackleton

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  19. Heimdallr

Listen, I stated that cement bonded asbestos sheets can be safely moved by a householder from a garage, if some basic safety rules are followed, which I listed. You replied emotionally about official contractors and to ignore my advice. I've posted several links from councils around the UK, which stated exactly what I posted. I think we'll just leave it there.

20. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

I understand that anyone can take down an asbestos roof, but it's the disposal that requires a licenced contractor. Is this correct? Anyone know.