1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Shane Long - Keep or Sell?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints FC 76, Aug 18, 2017.

?

Shane Long - Keep or Sell?

1. Keep him as backup

50 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. Sell him and reinvest while he has some value

48 vote(s)
    49.0%
  1. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Discussed briefly on the transfer thread, would be good to get an idea of what fans think as it seems mixed so far.

I would personally sell and reinvest, perhaps a loan with an option to buy.

2. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Flog him. Oh no wrong player that was laterally meant for VD.

3. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Personally, I would sell him.. He is a likable guy, But at the age we would get a decent fee for atm. Isn't really doing much for us on the field, and it gives Sam more time to develop. We could use the money for a more needed position, Like Winger.

4. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Get rid!

I read comments on this forum about what he brings, if he could score goals he would win the Ballon D'or and be worth more than Neymar etc. etc. etc.

The reality is he may run fast, he may scare defenders (but in reality, not that many) but he has poor control at this level (he can trap a ball further than I can kick one), and is about as close to scoring regularly as I am from getting regular blow jobs off Princess Anne. Or her horse.

He isnt bad in the air. Who said white men can't jump...

My view, we should try to get a striker better than Manolo or Charlie - then have a truly great attacking threat. None of this crap about trying to replace a 3rd choice player. What a load of bollocks.

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

It's not as simple as A or B.

If Shane got a run in the right side (as two season back) things can happen. Not guaranteed though.

He might want to go and be first choice somewhere else.

Is someone we want available as a replacement?

Does the manager rate him?

If he stays, I've no problem. If he goes, I've no problem and will wish him well.

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I have voted to keep him as I would sell only if we bought a striker vying for a starting place....and no sign of that. My views on this are rubbish anyway as I'd keep them all as pets rather than sell them. :)

7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I honestly don't know on this one. Whatever happens, he has earned a place in our hearts for some great goals. The should-have-been hat trick against Villa which included that wonderful strike from 25 yards, the back heel after bullying Mertesacker, but most notably that goal at Anfield. If he doesn't mind being 3rd or 4th choice striker then keep him.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

A little harsh, but a lot of truth in there.... not the horse/blow job bit. I think you have a chance there!

9. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too. Hoping for less teeth, more tongue though :emoticon-0176-smoke As for Anne, meh - not bothered either way.

Schrodinger's Cat and fatletiss like this.
  10. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

If he wants to stay with us then fine but if he is looking for a final move then I would be happy to move him on for £10-15m and reinvest in a younger model who shores more goals than he does

11. Saint

Saint Active Member

I would 100% keep him, actually quite surprised by the amount that wouldn't. Last year, we hardly scored any goals and were set up far too negative on numerous occasions to take full advantage of what he can give us (Liverpool (A) one of the few times we played to his strengths). Granted, his finishing leaves a lot to be desired, but his movement and pace up top is second to none, defenders hate facing him, besides, we know he can finish, has scored some belters for us over the years. Personally feel he has been a model pro and although we could probably ship him off for £10 - £15m, we would still need another striker and realistically who are we gonna get to come here for that sort of cash when they will inevitably be sitting behind Gabbi and Austin in the pecking order.

12. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I would keep him providing he wanted to stay, he may do better elsewhere if he wants to be a starter every week, but that wouldn't be at this level. He still has that nuisance level which can be utilised in certain situations. I am biased of course because I let sentiment overule common sense.

13. Saint Sosa

Saint Sosa Well-Known Member

May be a bit harsh but for me he's a waste of a shirt. Apart from his physical attributes I can't see why he gets on the pitch, he can't finish, he can't pass, he can't run with the ball effectively (unless the game is stretched) and his touch is woeful. Looking back I'm glad I didn't get a Shane Long tattoo after the EFL semi final.

I said it last summer and I'll say it again, he's got no space in a team looking to do anything but survive in the PL.

14. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

There's less than 2 weeks left of the window, if we're going to sell him it had better be after we have got a better replacement lined up. He's proven to be good enough back up to drag us to top 6 and a league cup final. I don't want to get rid of him for no reason.

15. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

16. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Like FLT says, it isn't a cut and dried A or B situation. Shane Long is a strong, ridiculously brave, very hard working player. His major attributes are his speed and anticipation. That 'something else'. Those pluses aside, his one consistency is his inconsistency. He's shown on numerous occasions that he's capable of being good enough for a top half PL side, but sometimes he falls just short.
    I've just found out that he's 30, and that he has a contract at SFC until 2020. Whilst 30 means little these days in terms of player effectiveness, his monetary value will drop dramatically from now on. It might be time. If things pan out at SFC as they perhaps ought to, he's going to get less and less game time. I've always liked right back to his Reading days. That hasn't changed. I'll still like him if or when he leaves. Very good player. Maybe it's time we had great players.

17. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

18. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I still occasionally watch the two semi-final legs. And depending on which commentator you have, that Origi/Stephens tackle was never a penalty. Sky's commentators allude to Stephens being a 'lucky boy'. Totally glamour club biased garbage comment.

19. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

He's a waste of a shirt yet you were considering getting him tattooed on you? What an extraordinary state of affairs! FWIW I think the lad is a model professional and the poll should have a third option - ask Shane what he wants and oblige.

20. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I can see Shane being this season's whipping boy, there always has to be one...:emoticon-0114-dull: