1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Shakespeare Sacked

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Chief, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yes from a relegated team. Different story now compared to the summer.

I'd ignore press reports etc. Tuchel was the favourite for the job down here at one point in the summer ffs <laugh>

2. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Unlikely Silva will go to Leicester. With all due respect, the position Leicester are in, it's not a huge set up so he might as well stay at Watford, build his reputation, and go to a team much bigger than both of us! Outside of Vardy and Mahrez, do Leicester have many better players than Watford?

You say you now spend £20/30m on players - but how much longer will that really last?

Lovearsenalcock and Libby like this.
  3. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

...as long as the owners are there ... we are the 19th richest football brand on the planet according to Forbes ...

In terms of players ... we have recently acquired the captains of Sevilla and Sporting Lisbon ... have two of Nigeria's brightest talents in Ndidi and Iheanacho together with two future England talents in Demarai Gray and Ben Chilwell plus Harry Maguire who is likely to stay in future England Squads ...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  4. HaslemereKev

But will you carry on spending that kind of money on players? Did you before you won the Prem or will you go back to 'normal'? How long will you keep hold of these?

Well, we have one of the brightest young Brazilian talents (he was very highly thought of out there), plus a future England midfielder who isn't even our best CM (Doucoure is a superb CM and hope he goes under the radar for longer).

Libby likes this.
  5. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Our ownets are very ambitious ... their stated aim was European football within 5 years of promotion ... obviously we are ahead of the game there ... looks likely that the ground capacity will be expanded to close to 45k in the close season ... Leicester is already the biggest City in the East Midlands, population wise; and the county only has one football team in the Leagues unlike Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire ..

6. HaslemereKev

Don't get me wrong - I'm jealous of your recent success and not sure if it is something I will ever see my team do. 1983 might be the closest I ever see us to winning the title...

But our own owners have their own ambitions, which include Europe. They don't have lots of money though so it's been slow building and steady progress, using their scouting network - which is one of the best in the world.

Unfortunately we are also competing with North London teams for fans, so will need a very long period of sustained success before we ever need stadium of that kind of size (glory-hunting ****s)

7. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think we've got better players than Watford but they lack the direction and cohesion that a top manager brings.

8. HaslemereKev

I was just thinking of which starting players I'd swap with yours...

Maguire in defence to partner Kabasele, maybe, but Britos/Prodl are more than adequate
    Vardy up top
    Maybe Mahrez - but all dependent on who we play as our midfield 3 of Chalobah, Doucoure and Cleverley work so well together - plus we have Pererya who can slot in the AM role. Maybe we can play him out on the right

Otherwise I'm more than happy with who we have

FosseFilberto likes this.
  9. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well exactly, your side play well together so why rock the boat?

I wouldn't say that Kabasele, Britos or Prodl are better than Morgan, Huth and Dragovic but they're certainly in better form.

Same goes for Chalobah, Doucoure and Cleverley. Iborra has won 3 Europa Leagues and Ndidi is one of the best performing young players in Europe according to WhoScored. We've got Silva waiting in the wings, key to Portugal's Euro 2016 success.

Vardy, Okazaki, Slimani and Iheanacho all have great goals to minutes ratios in the league. (Okazaki only really this season).

Our trouble is, whats the point in having great players if they either don't fit in with your style or their team mates?

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Would you lads have Pearson back ?

11. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I would purely because I love the man.

But I don't think it'll happen and I don't really think it'd be a wise move.

12. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

....wasn't his biggest fan being honest but any appointed manager would get my support ... like AKCJ I'd be very surprised to see him appointed ...

For me I'd like to see a tactically astute younger manager who can deal effectively with the personalities amongst the players and won't be too matey, with them

PINKIE likes this.
  13. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Totally agree.

One of Shakespeare's biggest problems. Didn't command that respect, I can't imagine him ever losing his rag with the players. They all call him Shakey, he hangs around with them etc.

I'm warming to the Dyche rumours.

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

From an outside perspective, if they've got any ambition then Pearson shouldn't be in contention. He's one of those "safe managers", like a Pulis or an Allardyce, he'll probably keep them up and make them tough to beat but he won't take them to the top half or beyond in my opinion.

I don't think they'd get him as he seems happy at Bournemouth but I think Howe could be an excellent appointment. If Silva hadn't just joined Watford then he would also have been a top shout, Watford look really good under him.

15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Silva is a quality manager. He’s done a great job at Watford. Howe might fancy the job at Leicester if he was offered it. It’s a step up from Bournemouth without it being a leap into the unknown at a big club.

Maybe Silva will end up at Spurs when Poch goes to Real or PSG <whistle>

16. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Perhaps so, but it will take more than slapping Arsenal in the PL to get that gig.

17. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

Silva is the one who got away in the summer. We missed the boat with him. I doubt he'd leave Watford so soon. A Dyche, Wagner, Howe etc have all been at their clubs a bit longer so more likely

18. HaslemereKev

I think it is a good time for Howe to go now too. He's probably got Bournemouth as high as they can go, and the squad is looking like what it really is - mainly Championship players, who many have been over-achieving. It's also mainly an aging squad that needs a bit of an over-haul

Leicester would be the next natural step up to challenge himself, if he really does want one of the big teams. Otherwise he can stay safe at Bournemouth with the knowledge he is very unlikely to be sacked any time soon....

Would be a much more progressive signing for Leicester than a Allardyce, Pearson, Pardew etc appointment...

Libby and PINKIE like this.
  19. HaslemereKev

I was surprised we actually got him as there were rumours Southampton (and I think it was Porto) wanted him! He was the one the fans wanted and think the owners did well to sell the club to him after the shambles that was last season!

Wagner I don't think would leave just yet - I think he wants to see what he can do with Huddersfield for now. Dyche might be worth approaching but they've had a good start so not sure he'd be in a rush to leave. As mentioned just now, think you should go for Howe... test his ambition!

20. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

I think that Howe will wait for Wenger to go. Despite the bad start for Bournemouth his star is still shining and his style of play should appeal to the Arsenal hierarchy.