1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Serious takeover talk

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geecee

Geecee Member

DH4 and farnboromackem like this.
  2. Septem

Septem Active Member

Will there be houses/ offices bulit on SOL/AOL in next couple of years?

3. Sandy Camel

Sandy Camel Well-Known Member

So basically, some really rich Americans have lent our owners a few million and if they don't get it back, the rich Americans get to take over the club. I really fail to see how this arrangment can send some folk loopy like but briefly dipping into PF would seem that it has.

4. O'conner flood

O'conner flood Well-Known Member

no

Gil T Azell likes this.
  5. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

What do you think?

6. Kittenmittons

Kittenmittons Well-Known Member

I will provide the first part (again), when I get home, if you want it now its point... 3(?) I think of the summary in the op of the finances chat thread.

As for the second part, I don't understand what you're trying to prove? I do consider it moral for someone to pay back money to our football club if they have loaned it for a personal benefit (in this case Stewart Donald's purchase of shares from Ellis Short). As for legal, it's irrelevant, I'm not making a legal point and never have. I'm simply stating fact, that the latest deal with FPP would mean that if they took over, he would be unable to reduce, waive or not pay that debt. It's my opinion and that of many fans that Donald should repay that debt even if he can legally avoid doing so indefinitely while he retains control. I have never stated otherwise and made that abundantly clear. You are seemingly the only person left who hasn't grasped that.

So yes. Go to the OP and I won't respond in here to you unless it's about the loan from FPP.

Flash Gordon likes this.
  7. Kittenmittons

As for the loan, there are really only two logical reasons:

1) it eases short term cash flow without them putting their own money in. If the club makes money for a couple of years, the loan will be paid off easily.

2) it keeps FPP conscious of SAFC and our progress. They'll have a vested interest in us and it keeps them half way to the table, hopefully they'll make another takeover bid once their valuation gets closer to Donald's.

I don't think there's much chance of a takeover by default, but hopefully they would be interested in further talks at some point and it does give us some extra cash now. Not a bad deal, but a risky one for Donald and I assume point 2 was the main reason for it. No chance he defaults on this, too much to lose.

Flash Gordon likes this.
  8. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

It also helps with SCMP (ore whatever it's called)

9. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

I think your second reason is the most likely, although I don't think the valuation is a problem. I think it's more a case that they don't want to be involved in the day to day and they haven't been quite convinced enough by our current owners to leave them in control of such an investment. It's essentially a "prove it" deal to Donald. Here's a loan, show us you can use it right and then we might trust you with a bit more.

Robertson and HeatonMackem like this.
  10. FulwellBri

FulwellBri Well-Known Member

What else do you expect..he supports the tories

SAFC2403 likes this.

11. Kittenmittons

After hearing the interview tonight, I think we can actually discount point 1 from that. I think this deal is entirely about keeping FPP involved in some way with the club and I don't see any downsides to it, even if they don't ultimately take the plunge in the long run.

Flash Gordon likes this.
  12. Flash Gordon

Perhaps try discussing the points he raises in his posts rather than "allude" he has mental issues because you don't like what he says.

13. Flash Gordon

Seems to me that he's the one on a Sunderland forum giving his opinions on things relating to the club and backing it up with what he feels is sufficient evidence to support his point. Certain posters such as Heaton Mackem have debated his points using counter evidence and created topical discussion which others such as myself have found insightful. That's what a message board is all about.

Then there are posters such as yourself and a couple of others who don't like what has been said and to use a football analogy "play the man instead of the ball". You contribute nothing to the actual discussion and instead attack people personally in an attempt to discredit them. I'd suggest looking in the mirror at your own behaviour before making a judgement about others.

14. turnthetide3

turnthetide3 Active Member

The BBC should run a special edition of 'The Apprentice', invite the most vociferous business 'experts' from here - those who negatively challenge every aspect of SAFC's business and finance, then see how much business acumen they really do have. It would make compelling viewing.

15. Owld Feller

Owld Feller Well-Known Member

You are entitled to your viewpoint just as I'm entitled to mine.

I just happen to think that engaging directly with him serves no purpose - it only causes others to question why our 'spats' are polluting the board.

Seemingly, though, you are sympathetic to his agenda, so please carry on supporting him and forgive me if I refuse to.

I also reject your attempt to blacken my character with your analysis of it - try looking in the mirror yourself!!

If I was you I don't think I would be happy at the reflection.

I can only assume that you don't understand the word 'irony'!

16. West stander

West stander Well-Known Member

Noticed he said 4 Americans at 1:09 on the newcastle pay back?

17. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Good catch

9ADD38B4-249C-4613-9681-6685176BAC7F.jpeg

18. Arlyman

Arlyman Well-Known Member

Seems like SDs interview yesterday is the clear announcement that we were looking for, or as clear as we are going to get anyway, and I believe that he was being as honest as he could be. There was a takeover price agreed but FPP decided to do the investment/loan instead. He said that there were things still confidential, but I took this to be payment terms etc., rather than some larger underlying deal. That could still be there and obviously, as has been discussed, he did 'imagine' a few of the things that they might intend, but certainly nothing certain. I was hoping for the takeover to provide the 'certainty' that even if we had to stay longer in this league while we got ourselves sorted out, eventually the future would be ok. What we have instead is definitely a positive step towards that, so now it's time to stop worrying about it and just hope that the football improves soon. If the takeover hadn't have been leaked the way that it was, with the T shirts and everything, I think that this deal would have been viewed as very good news indeed.

19. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Used to be a class message board back in the day. Just full wums and hysterical bells nowadays imo.

20. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

You've nailed it there imho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.