1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread September Internationals

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Master Yoda, Sep 4, 2015.

1. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

It's a good record no doubt and hats off to him, record stood for a long time.

However 1 wc goal in a game that meant **** all... Not good enough. Yes team take some brunt of that but when you look at his performances it's not even like he played well in the wcs. Even a united fan should be able to admit that.

Rooney was at his best when he was early 20s, he was fit, quick and brace. He got on the ball and ran at people and scared the **** out of them. In euro 2004 I think it was when he first played he was outstanding and if he didn't gets injured we'd have probably gone further.

Over era time he's continued to score goals in qualifying, but Kyle lafferty is the 3rd top scorer in this euro qualifying which says a lot....

Itv did a breakdown of his goals and they all said, a goal against Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Uruguay etc... All great, but we're any of those goals against the big countries in tournament football or where they in friendlies? The latter..

He'll go on and probably snore a couple more in this qualifier, maybe 1 or 2 in euros and end up with about 55 goals I reckon but majority of them won't be in tournament football.

Stan says he's 2nd highest in England in tournament football... Just means the rest have been poor or haven't had the longevity because competitor for places was so big. Rooneys competition was an ageing Owen, crouch and David nugent, of course he's going to play every game for 12 years including every tournament game.

2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Not quite what I said but I agree to an extent. Liverpool played a very different style to England which gave Gerrard much more freedom and space. The way England play needs someone of the Coutinho mould to play/create in the final third. Gerrard played most of his creative passes from slightly further back when the team was "on the break".

3. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Maybe in final year with Suarez but not with Torres, he played alongside him near enough.

Gerrard suffered in that he was the complete midfielder and England used that to their own detriment.

They eh should have built that midfield around him and played carrick and Hargreaves behind him giving him freedom like he had at Liverpool during his prime. Instead it was always about trying to fit best players into the team even f it meant others suffered.

Super G Ted'inho and Diego like this.
  4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

He has not been anywhere near the player he was since he reached 25/26 years old.
    I have no illusions about his goal scoring record for England, it just pisses me off when I hear it's because he has played against inferior teams. Is it only England that play these teams, if not, why are international scoring records not being broken every year by the top teams?

5. Well, they should have done that with one of Gerrard or Lampard (or Scholes in the earlier yars) but no manager had the bollocks to drop one of that trio.

InBiscanWeTrust likes this.
  6. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Bitter as ****

7. saintKlopp

Yeah, but they know nothing compared to Diego.

8. saintKlopp

Would we even know if they were? Our media are obsessed with our players, and only seem aware of the existence of foreign national teams when we play them.

9. Stan

Stan Stalker

Quite interesting when you look at the list of players who have scored 50+ international goals. Messi hasn't made the list yet as he has 49 in 105, very similar stats to Rooney. It's probably the modern European players who are the better comparison though. Wazza will probably overtake Henry having played in fewer games. Ibra's record is impressive as is Jon Dahl Tomasson's. Robbie Keane deserves credit too. Villa and Klose are the daddies although they did have the benefit of playing for top teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_footballers_with_50_or_more_international_goals

10. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

It's since he got his head re-weaved that theres been a downturn, should have stuck with the Bobby Charlton look because it didn't do him any harm.:biggrin:
    So does your "inferior teams" point only apply to Rooney?, theres the likes of Robbie Keane(Ireland's leading international goalscorer), his goals have come against teams that Rooney's played and his record against the bigger nations is better than Rooney's.
    Keane is not and has never been in the same class as Rooney at club level but going by your logic he's better than him at international level despite playing with far more inferior players than Rooney.

Or....just because you've got the most goals doesn't make you the best striker.

<whistle>

11. Stan

Stan Stalker

You certain about that? Quick glance at his goal scoring record suggests they're quite similar. Keane's also had his fair share of gifts.

His last 5 goals have all been scored against Gibraltar.

Prior to that his goals were scored against Latvia, Kazakhstan, Sweden, the Faroe Islands, Georgia, Kazakhstan (again), Estonia, Macedonia, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Macedonia (again).

Couple of decent teams in that list, quite a few not so decent!

12. Page_Moss_Kopite

Spain?, Holland on more than one occasion?, Germany?, France?

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/RobbieKeanesIrishGoals.html

13. Stan

Stan Stalker

"Wazza" has scored against Holland, Brazil (twice) and Argentina. I'm not going to pretend that he set the word alight but I think trying to dumb down his achievement just comes across as bitter. You lot refer to Robbie Fowler as God. He struggled to get a game for England and struggled even more to get a goal!

14. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Pipe down you bell ends.

It's a cracking achievement to become your countries leading all time goalscorer. Whatever you might think of the lad and whatever his club allegiances, doesn't alter that fact.

Trying to diminsh it with stats that don't hold any water anyway, just makes you look as bitter as ****.

If it was a kopite you'd have a ****ing big flag made :)

15. Page_Moss_Kopite

So now you're moving the goalposts?

His achievement to break a 50yr old record deserves merit but to pretend it makes him the best England striker ever is daft, Charlton's record is a far greater achievement imho, it came in the days of matches played in knee deep mud, proper heavey leather football's and boots that would do a coal miner proud, there was no dietitians around then either and big steaks were prescribed as good pre-match meals.

But for me I'd choose the other former blue as the better striker for England...Gary Lineker.

16. Enricky.

Enricky. Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If he was a kopite then I'm sure you wouldn't be so quick to praise him <whistle>

17. Agree with most of that but Lineker's record ****s on the others tbf

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  18. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I haven't. I've praised the achievement. :emoticon-0172-mooni

:1980_boogie_down:

19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Linekers goalscroing record for England is fantastic, but to keep it in context he played every minute in an England shirt as an out and out striker.

Rooney has played as a striker, a No.10, attacking mid and out wide

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  20. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

Just going to bring in Greaves record, 44 goals in 57 games and retired from international football at 27. Now thats a dammed good record.