1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Prediction League September games, points haul.

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by taffthefish, Aug 29, 2017.

1. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

September games coming up after the international break. At the start of the season, I said I'd be happy with 11 points from our opening 5 games. 15 from 15 was totally unexpected given the sides we faced and the predictions of mid-table obscurity by various media outlets.

So, my question is how do you see us fairing in our 6 games in September? 2 tough away games to Fulham and Sunderland with a game against PNE who have proved, in fairly recent times, to be a bit of a bogey side.
    Our home games all look pretty tough as well.
    18 points are up for grabs, what points haul do you think we'll get. I reckon 14 points. I believe we can beat all the teams in the championship on current form, but the pessimist in me says we'll drop some.

A. Fulham: 1
    A. PNE: 3
    H. Sheff Wed: 3
    A. Sunderland: 3
    H. Leeds: 1
    H. Derby: 3

2. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Quite the pessimist, predicting only dropping 4 points in 6 games!

Bristol City fan in peace - you can thank Oldsparkey for me sticking my nose in!

Cracking start to the season for you lads - from the outside, I can't see the wheels coming off in spectacular fashion with the league's most experienced head in charge, though would be surprised if you can collect 29 from a possible 33; more on the basis of the strengths of other teams than any shortcomings of your own.

Do you guys think you have the depth to keep up an automatic promotion charge, or could you be undone by injuries? Any chance of Tan being tempted to cash in on Zohore, and if so, could that be enough to derail you, or do you have goals all over the team?

Preseason I would have had you down as finishing in the playoffs, so will stick to that, but with the bookies favourites (Boro and Villa) misfiring, there's the opportunity for you to steal into the automatics.

Good luck for the season, bar two occasions naturally.;-)

PS any updated thoughts on Tomlin?

3. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Oh Nick, the optimist in me says we'll get all 18 points. :D No problem sticking your nose in. ;)

A cracking start to the season from the inside. I speak for myself when I say I have been screaming out for a decent manager and NW fits the bill. My total prediction is 25 from 33! :D Maybe I am an optimist after all. The last two games were pretty full on and I can't see us competing at the same level all season, but I am hopeful.

It's too early to think about an automatic spot, however, I believe we have enough to compete, with NW looking to add another midfielder before the window closes. Thus far we have 8 different players scoring, so it seems we can get goals without using Zohore. 13 goals and Zohore has only got 1. I hear that the club has stated £30 million will get any suitors the chance to speak to big Ken, however, if a top club comes in for him, he may be tempted to speak to them. The rumour mill has Everton, Brighton and Hull showing interest. From what I have seen of big Ken, yes he will be missed, but not irreplaceable...

At the moment I would still be happy with a top 6 finish, but confidence is high and I see no reason why we can't go for an automatic spot.

Good luck for the season, I am optimistic you won't be successful against us. ;)

As for Tomlin, flashes of skill' but still carrying some lard and needs to get fully fit.

4. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Taff - I didn't invite him honest! <laugh>

Greetings Nick - I'll take the blame for you being over here any time - and I promise not to get "tetchy" with you. <laugh>

As far as Taff's thread goes, I'd be happy to average 2 points a game so I'll go for 12 for those next half dozen.

Not sure which games they'll come from but I expect us to lose one of them (maybe the next one at Fulham) but disagree about the Leeds game. I think we'll take all the points from them to avenge last season's shambles under Trollope at the CCS which cost him his job and saved Monk's.

Nick - I see no reason why we shouldn't continue the way we've started but accept that injuries might put a different slant on things.

As for Tan cashing in on Zohore, he certainly doesn't need the money and the prospect of massive Premier league revenue if he stays would be a greater pull.

Tomlin???? Well he's got the skills but will struggle to displace any of our front 6 right now. The midfield three of Ralls, Damour and Gunnar are cruising whilst the pace of the front three Zohore, Hoilett and Mendez means there's no room at the inn at present.

5. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

I'd be ecstatic with Taff's 14 points, more than happy with Sparks 12 points and not disappointed with 10.

6. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Confident, but easy to understand why at this stage - even 10 from 6 matches should keep you top. Anyone can take points from anyone in this league, so even if you drop points here and there, I can't see anyone else who'll immediately capitalise.

There'll continue to be a lot of interest from our side in how Tomlin gets on, and frankly, the majority will hope he fails so they can revel in the schadenfreude. As perverse as it sounds, when the GBH charge news broke out, a lot of fans would have used it as something to gloat about. On the playing side though, he's got a lot to prove if he's going to become a starter for you, and if those ahead of him continue to perform, he won't get many opportunities in which to do it. I won't completely rule him out as I've seen what he's capable of, but at 28, he should be near his peak, not distracted by other stuff and falling behind teammates in terms of physical fitness.

I see you won't be down our way until November, so it'll be interesting to see how things go between now and then - we've been a bit hot and cold, even within 90 minutes, so hoping we can find a bit more consistency by then. Any chance you could bring Trollope back for an evening?

7. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

9 points from 18 - should give the teams below us a chance to catch up

A. Fulham: DRAW
    A. PNE: DRAW
    H. Sheff Wed: DRAW
    A. Sunderland: LOSE
    H. Leeds: WIN
    H. Derby: WIN

8. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

had us down for 11 from the first 5 games. I'm with Sparkey, 2 points a game would be great, so 12 from 18 would do me. Can see us achieving that and possibly 1 or 2 more.

9. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

The City fan in me says;

A. Fulham: WIN
    A. PNE: WIN
    H. Sheff Wed: WIN
    A. Sunderland: WIN
    H. Derby: WIN

The pessimist in me says;

A. Fulham: LOSE
    A. PNE: WIN
    H. Sheff Wed: DRAW
    A. Sunderland: LOSE
    H. Derby: DRAW

I hope I'm eating my words on that.

10. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

Fulham 1
    PNE 0 (We never beat them up there)
    Wendies 3
    Blunderland 3
    Dirty Dirty, oh please lord let it be 3
    Derby Draw

So 11 points for me, and should we change the age old away loss to PNE i would be ecstatic.

11. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

If we carry on where we left off I can't see any of this lot beating us. 18 out of 18....simples.

DaiJones and ccfcremotesupport like this.