1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sepp Blatter wants penalty alternative

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Andoversaint, May 25, 2012.

1. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

How about a massive 'Ker-Plunk' the size of the centre circle, filled with actual footballs instead of marbles

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

How about strip penalties? Everyone missing a penalty takes off an item of clothing until one team is naked and deemed the loser. They would be allowed to keep their socks because I wouldn't want them humiliated<whistle>

3. Andoversaint

Andoversaint Active Member

Crossbar challenge!!!!!!! First to hit crossbar after 120mins, or how many time a team hits the crossbar thought out the game...........

:D

4. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The best suggestion yet <laugh>

5. Wisescummer

Wisescummer Active Member

This makes interesting reading

http://www.penaltyshootouts.co.uk/alternatives.html

Some of the more interesting ones are first goalscorer wins, having the penalty shoot out before extra time or the team with the better competition record goes through (obviously doesn't work in the first round of knockout competitions though.

These would make it more about football, which is apparently what Blatter wants. Also not sure why anybody German would want to abandon penalties (because as we know ZE GERMANS DO NOT LOSE ON ZE PENALTIES), and personally I like them. And tehy are not a lottery. That is a mistaken english view that goes a long way to explaining why we are so rubbish at them. The ability to score a penalty is just as much a footballing skill as passing, and if its all down to luck, then why do England cosistently lose and Germany consistently win? Also, there aren't many cup upsets that occur by way of penalties, usually the big side wins if it goes that far.

6. Andoversaint

After the game (120mins) Three football judges rate the game out of 50?

possession
    quality of goals
    behaviour
    e.g.

7. SaintJabie

SaintJabie Active Member

Stick with penalties. Sure it's unfair if you played well and lost on penalties, but then it's unfair if you played well and the opposition got a lucky goal on the break.

As for the other ideas....

* Replays wouldn't work in a fixed time window like Euro 2012.
    * Judges will inevitably attract complaints of bias.
    * Arbitrary stats like most corners or most possession will evoke the law of unintended consequences with players deliberately kicking the ball off opponents just to get a corner and keep their corner stats up or the back four passing the ball around themselves to keep their possession stats up.
    * First goal wins will lead to one team attacking in extra time and the other defending, rather than both teams attacking. Also, it doesn't work if the match is 0-0.
    * Most foul count will make the referee's job even more politically sensitive than it is at present.
    * Sweep and score could be a rules nightmare if the defender starts commiting fouls, even unintentionally, which is quite likely after 120 mins and the legs and mind are tired. At least with a penalty the result is clear for all to see. If you start giving goals because the defender / goalie fouled, things are going to get awfully contraversial.
    * Historical stats means that you play out of your skin and then go out of the competition because of some match played twenty years ago!

8. fran-MLs little camera

Years ago I played in a charity match where the number of corners counted in the case of a draw and we lost in the semi because in the dying moments a lab assistant in my team put the ball out for a corner. I think I could have tolerated losing by penalties, but not like that. Forty years later: BARBARA, YOU IDIOT. Not that I'm bitter and twisted.

9. Schneiderlin's Foxy Face

Schneiderlin's Foxy Face Active Member

It really annoys me when people say that there's no point practising penalties because you cant recreate the pressure. You can still practise your technique can't you? I'm fairly certain that the Germans practise penalties in their training sessions, does that explain their "magic" ability?

10. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

What about our HT relay? <laugh>

(sorry if it's been suggested, only skimmed through)

11. Andoversaint

The best half time game yet!

12. fran-MLs little camera

Then Saints would be even more worried about our lack of pace.