1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sell out v The Franchise

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by The Punter’s Pal, Nov 30, 2020.

1. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Yes, second best, got what we deserved. Poor.

Smudger603 likes this.
  2. The Punter’s Pal

The Punter’s Pal Well-Known Member

Maddison is ****ing useless.

dick plumb likes this.
  3. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

I feel sorry for fans who went to the Valley this evening, they've been let down by a poor display.

In the longer term though I'm not worried.
    If Lee Bowyer can't turn this slump around by the end of December - if Charlton drop out of the top 6 and performances remain poor - the solution is simple. Thomas Sandgaard will have to sack LB, and replace him with a manager (and support staff if necessary) who can get the job done.
    Given the January window, that new manager should have a chance to restore momentum.

Hardly any Charlton fans actually want to see that happen, but if it's necessary I believe TS will do it.
    He hasn't bought CAFC to watch it drift around in the 3rd tier. He's made his expectations very clear.
    If Bowyer cannot rise to them, then somebody else should be given the chance.

4. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

January can’t come too soon ,we can’t start with bloody Bogle , missing any kind of pace without Smyth and Doughty and need Innis in the back line - well done to anyone who attended that !

5. Miketyson2007Junior

Miketyson2007Junior Well-Known Member

We got exactly what we deserved, well done to Amos for keeping it competitive. That was a very cold, largely dull, evening.

MK Dons were excellent, best team we've played this season, but I'm not sure how much of that was down to us making them look better.

Their number 9 ran Matthews ragged, as did their left wing back. Poor game for Watson too who looked unable to keep up.

We miss Maatsen or Doughty, when playing without traditional wingers we can't expect Purrington to fill the role.

6. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

No threat up front and a hugely weakened defence- teams know this and are prepared to have a go

dick plumb likes this.
  7. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

That was truly awful. Seeing the game in person gave me a different perspective. We were totally overrun in midfield. Morgan, Shinnie, Watson and especially Gilbey were truly awful. They didn't have the legs. I had to count the MK Dons players because it appeared they had thirteen players. Gunter and Pratley are not centre half's. Matthews was given the runaround. If it wasn't for Amos it could have been four or five. I will save the worst till last. Maddison has ability but he is one lazy bastard. I was shocked at how bad we were. Wearing a face mask for a couple of hours is no fun either, just thawing out.

8. Whats up Doc

Whats up Doc Well-Known Member

Christ that was not enjoyable. Couldn’t get into it, going into the next ballot hoping I’m not successful

9. The Punter’s Pal

Dear oh dear

B35033E9-7F4B-4099-BA53-766C69C2A86E.jpeg

dick plumb and lardiman like this.
  10. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Well said Franco.

We've been humiliated by a pub team and a franchise. Not the route back to the 2nd tier.

11. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

It can't be dismissed as a one-off because it happened against Burton, our midfield can't cope with a high-energy opposition. Our attacks were hopeful with the ball in the air, Milton Keynes' were slick passing movements on the ground. Madison is lazy, Morgan is an emerging talent, Doughty is probably off in January, we can't rely on Famewo and Maatsen to be here all season, Innis may be injury-prone, we're toothless up front. But what worries me most is that other teams support each other better, make themselves available. MK players always had options, ours were always under pressure. No outfield player had a good game.

Smudger603, lardiman and dick plumb like this.
  12. Whats up Doc

I don’t mind Bowyer saying the fans were rubbish, because they were. At least he got something right last night

13. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

I was one of the fans last night and that comment is out of order. The fans sang and encouraged the players as much as you can with 2000 in the ground and socially distanced and with a mask on. Bowyer should be concentrating on why we were totally outplayed by a lower div 1 team. His formation and tactics were totally off last night.

14. The Penguin

In his interview LLB threw in the phrase "hiding from the ball". Brutal but true. Rommedahl was a master of this, and it's just something which no fan should have to put up with. I'd exempt Morgan from this criticism, his movement was a bit better than the rest of the midfield, but if it continues our season is fvcked.

deleted....., lardiman and dick plumb like this.
  15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Leaping gazelle-like out of incoming tackles was another Rommedahl speciality.

16. Whats up Doc

So was I dick, and I really agreed with him, it was p!ss poor, regardless of the sh!te tactics on show. I’m sure he’s working on what went wrong last night in terms of performance, that doesn’t mean he can’t express an opinion on the fans.

17. The Penguin

The last manager to criticise the fans was Super Al. Even Karel Fraeye took the abuse from the fan(s) without reply.

18. The Punter’s Pal

When a manager starts slating his own fans in public it always ends up with one conclusion.

dick plumb likes this.
  19. Whats up Doc

People are too soft, he hasn’t slated the fans, just said he expected more. I appreciate the honesty personally

20. The Penguin

If players are "hiding from the ball", his own words, why should the fans not dig them out?