1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Second favourites...........

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM, May 30, 2017.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Fair response. I see zero reason we won't be top half this time around. Fixed a few of the glaring holes and some clubs look a mess from afar. I don't think the leagues as strong as some think this time around. Not an awful lot worries me - Boro sure ... but yeah. We'll compete.

2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

My concern is as a squad goes we're not too different from where we were at the end of last season and we were sh*t!! Why would we be any different next season?

Spanish likes this.
  3. Westlake33

I would argue the 11 will be very different from last season.

1 - have an actual RB allowing 4-4-2 to work.
    2 - Webster back
    3- Celina + Rowe out wide.
    4 - Garner will start.

Also no hopeless Kevin Bru / Pitman didn't fit so happy he's gone.

While it's not a rock n roll side, we have a physical presence up top. Playing a proper RB allows the wingers to function much better and at least we should have balance. Webster allows us to play the ball out of defence more. Skuse HAS to do more.

Whether it's likely to be enough is open to debate, but I think first 11 wise we're not too shabby. Depth very poor granted. Flynn Downes hoping has a Bish 14/15 :)

4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Oh I agree i like the look of the squad and think we're only 1 good striker short of being a very good team

However actually the squad isn't dissimilar from the one which finished last season when we were terrible.

We had 2 RBs towards the end of last season we've now sent 1 out on loan and got 1 in, so not too different there.

Webster was here last season (albeit injured at the end) but has been out for a long time.

Rowe was here last season and we had Lawrence instead of Celina, which isnt too dissimilar to the end of last season.

Garner seems half decent but doesn't have as good goalscoring record as Pitman at this level.

I think Micks transfer record has been pretty good the past couple of years but it's going to take more than a few decent signings to convince me we are going to be any good this season with a not too dissimilar squad at the end of last season we were terrible!!

5. Westlake33

Yeah know where you're coming from. Desperately need another forward in before I can even begin to think what we might do.... I think even if we do get another 2/3 in I'm not convinced it will be enough on the basis alone that others are gambling their clubs future and chucking an absurd amount of £££ at it.

Am I alone in HATING how footy has become? It's utterly depressing in how much ££££ is around.

How Atletic Bilbao in this day and age remain completely Basque is utterly commendable.

Also, LOVE how Uefa has now as of next season given automatic entry to the champs league to FOUR clubs from the top 3 co-efficiency. For heavens sake lets spread some wealth around Europe or just make a F ing super league and have it done once and for all.

It's broken. I have to say now if a 39th game in the Prem ever did happen / happen offshore I think my interest would vanish altogether. Please never happen.

6. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

The problem you have Westy, is that football is so big now, we will never go back to how it was back in the day.
    What needs to happen, is thousands upon thousands need to a) cancel their sky subscription, and b) boycott going to games for a good few years.
    Whilst the mug public continue to fund this business, it will never change, and will continue to spiral out of sane proportion.

I mean, how the hell can anyone justify spending £200m to sign one player (Neymar) and pay him another £30m a year?

You're right, football is a complete joke atm, but we still love it - and there in lies the problem.

We need a revolution, and it needs to be televised :)

7. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

The trouble is with any sort of localised protest of Sky and footy matches in general in this country it will just mean that Spain, France or Germany will step in. If not them then China or the US. The appetite for football globally is insatiable and continues to grow. If the PL is not going to ride the crest of that wave then someone else will. China has a monumentally large pot of money and would pounce on any slip in Europes footballing power.

Don't get me wrong I whole heartedly agree that money has ruined the game. But it's too late to get off the merry go round. Halt the PL funding insanity and the best players will leave in a heart beat for more lucre in Europe or beyond. You can't blame the players, half of our academy is full of players that until scouted had not set foot in Norfolk, so why would they be one of our own or overly loyal?

I guess the last point would be, is the money truely that disproportionate? Top Movie stars have been making £20m for 6-12 months work on a film. OK they might guarantee bums on seats but, that's what the ever improving product (Arguable) of football is doing. There was a time were british clubs could only attract the best of british, but all the top foreign talent stayed abroad. I think right now the best of the best are as ever still going to Barca or RM but the PL has never had so many good imports. Weather you think that is also ruining the game is another thing entirely, but the football is generally better and the global appeal means the money circus will continue with or without a disgruntalled few who jack in their sky subscription. If a club gets £100m for just beling in the PL then naturally the players will get a big slice, mostly not movie star money but for the very best few, it's getting there.
    Best in field, field in demand = big rewards. If we don't like it we could walk (Or get Kodi) but what would we do instead?

Bah!

8. stretchyboy

Then people need to either accept that they are Sky's and the FPL's bitch, carry on funding them by paying extortionate prices for everything, or stick to your morals and start supporting a lower league team, and avoid everything about SKY and the FPL

9. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

14 players out and only 4 in spending a total of £750K!!! How can this be described as progress and ambition?

So much for all the positive noises coming out of the PR spin machine at the end of last season! The same old bollox about there being money available for the right players! We are being taken for idiots yet again while Evans carries on asset stripping the club. I read in the local paper today that McCarthy is now looking for a Striker on loan rather than looking for a permanent signing. So much for "No more loans!" We are a fooking laughing stock! <ok>

Spanish and KIO like this.
  10. Westlake33

Warky, hate to be pedantic but we spent £1 mill ish on Garner, Huws £850k + Celina loan fee will be big. But I get the point, likely to not be enough!

11. stretchyboy

Of the so-called 14 that were "released", only Berra, Pitman and Dougie were classed as first teamers (and i reckon Pitman and Berra were probably our two of our highest earners). Diagouraga, Lawrence, Williams and Taylor were never ours to release
    We've brought in four permanent signings and two loanees.

Out of the ones that have left, who would really get any games this season? Only Lawrence, and he wasn't ours.

Mick has got rid of a lot of the deadwood and freed up some wages. At least the 6 that have so far come in will be first teamers who will make our squad stronger.

I personally take my hat off to Mick and co for not going crazy and splashing the cash out. The six signings are good, not world beaters, but definitely an improvement on last season.

If we can get one more decent striker, then i'd be happy. I think we'll surprise a lot this year, we have a good balanced team for once with plenty of competition for places.

If i was a betting man, which i'm now not, i'd lump on us to finish top half and even into play offs.

40 years after we won the FA cup, we will return back to Wembley :)

Westlake33 likes this.
  12. Westlake33

Agree with a lot of that Stretchy. I think the balance looks good - in particular this season we now have based on 4-4-2....

* A very good balanced back four with 2 players battling for each position. 2 actual LBs and 2 actual RBs. That's balance and with Webster to bring the ball out..
    * Width wise, much better too.
    * Garner is key or someone like him as the main man. I like Dids + Sears as part of a 4 strikerforce, not a partnership.

That said, I think we lack depth and a touch of class at CM. Issue with us doing 4-4-2 with the likes of Celina out wide, is I don't know if Bishop / Dozza and a more attacking CM would be allowed to play in such a system under Mick. He likes a firm base, so I cannot see Dozza starting with Skuse anytime soon even if he's potentially ready if we do 4-4-2.- which seems we will. However, should we try a variation of 4-3-3 Dozza may shine.

Still think we need at least two more and desperately a 4th choice striker. Still wonder whether it would be enough but you never know. One surprise side a season.

13. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

All very well but we got Tonked 6-1 by a team in a league lower than us! <doh>

Westlake33 likes this.
  14. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

A team that was nowhere near full strength...

15. Westlake33

Thankfully that happened now and before the transfer deadline - the only silver lining.