1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season Tickets

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by grumpygit, Apr 3, 2019.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I'm guessing most people have been following the player revolt at Priestfield , I just hope the end matches the build up.
    in case some don't do the facebook/twitter stuff.

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I'm pleased to see that GFC haven't paid for any acting lessons. It's got all the hallmarks of a ( cheap* ) publicity stunt by Mr.Scally -- He's hardly going to win back all the lost fans of the last couple of seasons by announcing a price increase.
    As you know, I go to a lot of the away games - and there's only a couple of other L1 clubs whose ticket prices are the same as Gills. Most of them are around £5 cheaper.

* is there any other kind ?

3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

You can be a miserable old git at times, I don't expect the final price will be as good as the PR, but you have to admit they are at least giving it a try.

alwaysright and gioblues like this.
  4. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Season ticket price should be between £300 and 350

grumpygit likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

This will amuse a few of my fellow Gills fans, so not aimed personally at you gioblues, but I quoted your post as you gave a price.

Revenue does not just come from tickets as we all know, in fact gates these days only form a fraction of the club's income. Sales of merchandise and within the food courts all goes towards the balancing act of prices, with player sales drawing the biggest income, oh and catering functions/halls etc.

What do i feel is a fair and reasonable price that would attract sales, well before i say, we do enough promotions or have done in past with £5 and £10 tickets and of course these prices are boosted by match day purchases at the game. Plus we are contantly playing in a barely half full ground.

I think clubs like Bradford demonstrate the best answers in regards to tickets (not sure about our current season - not seen their prices).

Personally i gave up my ST several seasons back, as it no longer became viable, miss three games due to work or personal reasons and i start to become out of pocket.

So what do i feel is a fair price for League One poor football...£260!...do it for that price and i will reconsider joining the mugs club ;)

I'm sure my pricing will be highly amusing to @alwaysright and i await the response with great anticipation <whistle>

grumpygit and alwaysright like this.
  6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ticket prices announced today at the Theatre of Greens. These are early bird prices if bought before May 14th. My son's ticket is £395 and my senior one is £299. Early bird saves around £80 for the purchase of both. This is an increase of around £20 or 5% in inflation terms. Announced before we even know what league we will be in for sure. That's also after only actually playing for half a season this term and last. Really trying to coax the stay away's in aren't they. Then again somebody has to pay for the new grandstand as it ain't going to be the owner in the long term.

7. alwaysright

I'm sorry - I don't mean to be miserable at times -- I just can't manage it -- all of the time.
    ps - have you got a brother who works as a car park attendant for Tesco ?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    grumpygit likes this.
  8. alwaysright

brb - good post ! ( N0.5 ) -
    The Bradford season tickets for next season are Adults @£150. Under 16s @ £ 100. Under 11s @ £25.
    Matchday prices are £20, £10, £5 in the same age groups -- although under 11s go free with an adult.

Their ST price for next year is a huge saving on matchday prices - with adult prices working out at £6.52 per game.

I agree, with you, that Clubs' income is not ' solely reliant 'on ticket sales. This point makes Premier League prices even more scandalous ! I can have a little sympathy for Mr. Scally concerning the need for generating income for GFC. I am sure it can't be an easy job with a club of our stature. It must have been a constant worry for him when he was so far away in Dubai !

You mention our barely half full stadium. We all know the reasons why -- a rubbish product , priced at a ridiculous level....... which are some of the reasons why so many STH are no longer STH. The price of my current ST, works out at £ 17.31 per game. This is a saving of £ 4.69 against match day prices -- but -- over the last 3 seasons( in particular ), there have been so many games which I have attended just because I had a season ticket - only to experience more crap ** If I had not been in possession of a ST, I would have saved a damned sight more than £4.69 every game (( which goes nowhere near to cover my travel cost )).
    When there has been a 'price promotion', the attendance figures have significantly improved -- and I see many 'new' faces - with kids.... with handfuls of expensive chips, burgers, confectionery, drinks etc - and next week - noticeable by their absence - until the next 'freeby.' This illustrates ( what I think that you are saying) - that it would actually attract more income to properly reduce ticket prices - and it would be better for atmosphere -- but -- As I have previously pointed out, all these promotions and freebies antagonise STH - because there is no financial benefit to season ticket holders. A couple of years ago, when Mr. Scally was handing out these cheap / free tickets so many times during the season, it got to the point where it would have been cheaper not to have a season ticket ! These days the season ticket do not have the 'friends for a £5 ' vouchers, and the one 'free' ticket is conditional - and, of course STH are the only supporters required to prove identity !. The whole package doesn't make me feel 'special.'

I await the announcement of the new prices - and, as you know, I will be one of those mugs to part with more money for more crap...... and I think that Mr.Scally has a nerve to expect people to buy a ST before we know if it won't be to watch Gills v Bradford next season.
    ** apologies ( to grumpygit ), for being so miserable

brb likes this.
  9. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I actually have three brothers, all of them like me retired and living of the state. <party>

brb likes this.
  10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

A large part of buying a season ticket is the whole matchday experience, meeting friends for a day out and a good old fashioned sing song.
    Watching and supporting the lads as they give 100% effort for the shirt, giving the officials advice on where they could improve their life choices.
    I think holding a season ticket should come with certain conditions, you must grow a mustache, and must wear a flat cap, it will just add to the feeling of belonging.
    everyone should see buying a ticket as their civic duty, form an orderly line and await the breaking news on the spectacular season ticket give-away.

brb likes this.

11. alwaysright

* OFF
    The last time I din't pick up on your spelling mistake, you moaned...... I will not have people moaning in this forum ( unless they are me )

brb and grumpygit like this.
  12. alwaysright

** and that's just the women......... I've told Mrs alwaysright not to use my razor - but to use her tongue - it's sharper !

grumpygit likes this.
  13. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

**You are right I did miss an f in off.

alwaysright and brb like this.
  14. alwaysright

Why do I get the feeling you mean 'an 'F-in F in off ' ?

grumpygit and brb like this.
  15. brb

brb CR250

I remember conversations in the past when we had certain dreaded catering companies, that the profits were not ours because we had already been paid (i use that term very loosely) for the contract(s) - but am i right in thinking we organise our own catering now?

16. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

At those prices we would need to sell 8000 season tickets that will never happen in league 1 or 2.

brb likes this.
  17. brb

brb CR250

Bradford have the advantage of a 25k capacity, so i wouldn't be expecting us to sell at their prices, however, you do state that we would need to sell 8k at their prices, so it more or less confirms that the £260 I suggest would be a fair price, without having to achieve the same 8k sales.

18. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The trouble with trying to work out sales/revenue is the spread of prices. adult, concession, youth, child.

brb likes this.
  19. brb

brb CR250

I think the Bradford structure appears a good one, the only difference needs to be on adult prices, due to the attendance restrictions, so naturally a GFC adult is going to have to pay a hundred notes more than our Bradford counterparts.

20. alwaysright

It may not be fair to Mr. Scally, to compare, like-for-like, with any one of the other L1 clubs. In my first post in this thread, I did make an observation of 'average' prices at other grounds - that our tickets are at the higher end of prices in L1, and about £5 more than most. I am sure that, for this reason ( and the rubbish on the pitch ), people are finally saying ; "enough."